Is worship of the Holy Spirit distinct from worship to the Son or Father?

I’ll start with my question and then give background. I apologize this isn’t very straightforward, I’m more looking for thoughts and inspiration than a quick answer.

How should praise addressed to the Holy Spirit differ from that offered the Son and the Father? Or should it look, feel or sound any differently - for example, can we call the Holy Spirit “Lord” as we call Jesus Lord? Also, is the prayer I wrote to the Holy Spirit at all incorrect to say?

Over the past two years I’ve nurtured a daily devotion to the Holy Trinity, weaving a set of three prayers (the Our Father, Anima Christi, and one I wrote to the Holy Spirit) between intentions for my work, my family, my children, and it has produced great spiritual fruit in my life in the form of greater self-control, more contentment with what I have, and better relationships with others. I also find myself trusting in the Lord more, even while I worry at the increasing depravity of this world.

As Catholics, we believe in the Holy Trinity, and we praise, adore and worship the Lord God in three Divine Persons. The Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit are worshipped as Trinity and also addressed distinctly in our liturgy and in private prayer life. It struck me that, while we pray the Our Father often, and have many prayers addressed to the Son (Jesus Prayer, Anima Christi, Fatima Prayer, etc), I think if we were to take a poll of private prayer life, prayers to the Holy Spirit would be said least often.

So I began offering daily devotion to the Holy Trinity by starting with a Glory Be (to honor the Holy Trinity as Triune), then an Our Father, a slightly-modified Anima Christi (asking, per advice of my confessor, for assistance in combatting personal and specific sins), and my own prayer to the Holy Spirit:

Come, Holy Spirit, and fall fresh upon me this very hour
Enter my heart and make it Your own forever
By the fire of your Divine and Radiant Love, I ask
Burn all that is evil within me
Smash the stones I have set upon myself by my sin
Make my life fertile ground that your Love and Holiness take root in me
Blossom within me, Lord, let me be a fragrant offering to You
Beneath Your wings, may I find comfort
Beneath Your shadow, may I find protection
Never let me be too far from You, Lord, to hear Your small, still voice
Hasten to my aid, I pray, when I call You
I trust in, worship, praise and adore You, Most Holy Spirit
One in Being with the Father and the Son
One God for all eternity. Amen.

I then finish with a second Glory Be, again to Honor the Trinity.

I like it! :thumbsup:

Thank You

The most Holy Spirit of God is divine, equal and eternal with the same glorious holy blessed divinity as the Father and the Son. There can be no distinction, or else we worship two Gods: one in two, and two with one. Let’s not forget that…

When the Lord Jesus commanded us to baptize “In the Name of the Father, and the Son, and the Holy Spirit”, there is but one Name, for there is but one Power, Eternity, Infinity, and Glory and Honour of God. Find the Nicene Creed: “and I believe in the Holy Spirit, the Lord & Giver of life…” :slight_smile:

beautiful prayer, :amen: is it ok if I use it? :wink:

I only feel qualified to answer this part of your question.

Regarding the bold, the answer is ‘yes.’

The traditional understanding of the Kyrie is that it is addressed to each person of the Trinity in succession.

to the Father: Lord, have mercy; Lord, have mercy; Lord, have mercy;
to the Son: Christ, have mercy; Christ, have mercy; Christ, have mercy
to the Holy Ghost: Lord, have mercy; Lord, have mercy; Lord, have mercy.

So you see, the Church called the Holy Ghost “Lord” in the Mass.

Without the Holy Spirit we would have no knowledge of Christ as Lord and Savior or who the Father even is…no prayers would come forth from our lips…we would be as knowledgeable of God as an animal is…

683 "No one can say ‘Jesus is Lord’ except by the Holy Spirit." “God has sent the Spirit of his Son into our hearts, crying, 'Abba! Father!”’ This knowledge of faith is possible only in the Holy Spirit: to be in touch with Christ, we must first have been touched by the Holy Spirit. He comes to meet us and kindles faith in us. By virtue of our Baptism, the first sacrament of the faith, the Holy Spirit in the Church communicates to us, intimately and personally, the life that originates in the Father and is offered to us in the Son.

[INDENT]Baptism gives us the grace of new birth in God the Father, through his Son, in the Holy Spirit. For those who bear God’s Spirit are led to the Word, that is, to the Son, and the Son presents them to the Father, and the Father confers incorruptibility on them. And it is impossible to see God’s Son without the Spirit, and no one can approach the Father without the Son, for the knowledge of the Father is the Son, and the knowledge of God’s Son is obtained through the Holy Spirit.

[/INDENT]

Pax Christi

Yes, it’s perfectly okay to call the Holy Spirit Lord. He is God, too. :wink:

You have written a beautiful prayer to the Holy Spirit. There are some traditional prayers as well, such as the Veni Sancte Spiritus, and the Litany to the Holy Spirit (and here is another one).

I’d say we not only “can,” we must! :slight_smile:

In the words of the creed known as Quicunque Vult (or the “Athanasian Creed”):

“So the Father is God, the Son is God, and the Holy Spirit is God;
And yet they are not three Gods, but one God.
So likewise the Father is Lord, the Son Lord, and the Holy Spirit Lord;
And yet they are not three Lords but one Lord.”

I do the same with the Our Father, the Hymn of the Incarnation*, and O Heavenly King**. I begin with a Gloria and end with a prayer to the Holy Trinity of my own and another Gloria. I think it’s pretty cool, in fact, that we have pieced together similar devotions somewhat independently. :slight_smile:

• The Hymn of the Incarnation, sometimes called the Hymn of Justinian: “O Only-Begotten Son and Word of God, Who, being immortal, deigned for our salvation to become incarnate of the Holy Mother of God and ever-Virgin Mary, and became man without change: You were also crucified, O Christ, our God, and by death have trampled death, being one of the Holy Trinity, and glorified with the Father and the Holy Spirit, save us.”

** “O Heavenly King, Comforter, Spirit of Truth! You are everywhere present and fill all things. Treasury of Blessings and Giver of Life, come and dwell within us, cleanse us of all stain, and save our souls, O gracious Lord.”

I think it would depend a lot on who you ask. I know some western Catholics who are really into “Come, Holy Spirit” (Veni, Sancte Spiritus), and Catholic & Orthodox Christians of the Byzantine rite frequently pray “O Heavenly King.” :slight_smile:

Your own prayer is beautiful. :slight_smile:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.