Is worshipping Jesus idolatry?

This won’t be a perfect comparison either.

It helped me when one of my professors had us consider our own make up. Both body, and soul. Distinct from one another, but both me. I am not my body with a soul stuck in there. I am not a soul driving a body around. I am both my body and my soul.

But my body is not my soul. And my soul is not my body.

And yet still, without either, I am not me.

The miracles where done by God. The OT makes this pretty clear in the fine print!

The nature of Jesus can be explained by this passage from St Paul:

“Have this mind among yourselves, which is yours in Christ Jesus, who, though he was in the form of God, did not count equality with God a thing to be grasped, but emptied himself, by taking the form of a servant, being born in the likeness of men. And being found in human form, he humbled himself by becoming obedient to the point of death, even death on a cross. Therefore God has highly exalted him and bestowed on him the name that is above every name, so that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, in heaven and on earth and under the earth, and every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.” Philippians 2:5-11

Jesus has always existed as “God’s word”. When Jesus was born of the Virgin Mary, this eternal thing called “the word” took on the form of a body. God is incomprehensible and cannot be seen without the seer dying. Therefore, in order to appear in human form, the word of God had to “empty himself”.

This emptying is why Jesus on earth did some apparently strange things during his time on Earth. For example, despite being God, he did not know the time of the day of judgement (despite being the judge). This is why he prayed to his Father and called his Father “My God”.

This stuff is not at all explicit in scripture, and that is precisely why the church’s magisterium is necessary. It does this tricky exegesis for us, with the wisdom of 2000 years of saints.

Your missing some very critical Bible teachings my friend; AND missing the POINT that the practice of religions is commonly termed “Faith”; and apply so as not everything IS to be LOGICALLY comprehended while still here on earth.

Read and then PRAY much about these 3 teachings:

Mt 3: [13] Then Jesus came from Galilee to the Jordan to John, to be baptized by him.
[14] John would have prevented him, saying, “I need to be baptized by you, and do you come to me?”
[15] But Jesus answered him, “Let it be so now; for thus it is fitting for us to fulfil all righteousness.” Then he consented.
[16] And when Jesus [GOD THE SON] was baptized, he went up immediately from the water, and behold, the heavens were opened and he saw the Spirit of God descending like a dove, [GOD THE HOLY SPIRIT] and alighting on him;
[17] and lo, a voice from heaven, saying, [GOD THE FATHER] “This is my beloved Son, with whom I am well pleased.”

John.10: [30] “I and the Father are one.”

Isaiah 55: 8-9 "Isa.55 Verses 8 -9 “[8] For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, says the LORD. [9] For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
so are my ways higher than your ways and my thoughts than your thoughts.”

Pray very much

Parick

You don’t need to be confused, and you don’t need to fully understand. What you need is faith, my friend.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.