Is Yahweh really God's name?

I thought that God doesn’t have a name like we do and that Yahveh was Hebrew for God like Allah is Arabic for God. Im really shocked. I became even more shocked after reading this on wikipedia(of curse wiki is not 100% reliable and i know catholics counter but still):

In the oldest biblical literature (12th–11th centuries BCE) Yahweh is a typical ancient Near Eastern “divine warrior” who leads the heavenly army against Israel’s enemies; he and Israel are bound by a covenant (a feature unique in ancient Near Eastern religion) under which Yahweh will protect Israel, and Israel in turn will not worship other gods.[3] At a later period Yahweh functioned as the dynastic cult (the god of the royal house),[4] the royal courts promoting him as the supreme god over all others in the pantheon, notably Baal, El, and Asherah (the last of whom may have been his consort).[5] Over time Yahwism became increasingly intolerant of rivals, and the royal court and temple promoted Yahweh as God of the entire cosmos, possessing all the positive qualities previously attributed to the other gods and goddesses.[4][5] With the work of Second Isaiah (the theoretical author of the second part of the Book of Isaiah) towards the end of the Babylonian exile (6th century BCE), the very existence of foreign gods was denied, and Yahweh was proclaimed as the creator of the cosmos and true God of all the world.[5]

If that was such a known fact there wouldn’t have been Catholicsm now or Christianity and Judaism for that manner. So how can we Catholics counter these statements about our God.

Second, i was really shocked that Yahweh our God, besides having a name, has so many human attributes, feelings,… He is slow to anger, he has a human form(Genesis 3: 8),… I also find it hard to believe how God could be so brutal(Numbers, Deutronomy,…). Also this verse Numbers 14:18, where God says that he will punish the children for their parents sin to the third and fourth generation. There are many verses in the Bible where God orders a massive genocide and command slavery. Isn’t God all loving?

I found many doubt and i hope to destroy that doubt but i just can’t get it into my head that one and only universal God has a name and other human things and attributes. I also can’t get it into my head that God was so brutal in the OT, specifically in Numbers and simmiliar. He ordered genocide, slavery and rape. How can that be? Please help.

These links should explain the Church’s position on this issue. If you have any further questions or concerns that are not answered by these links, please contact Catholic Answers directly.
Recommended Reading:

[LIST]
*]Must I believe that Muslims worship my God?
*]Islamics - Hindus- Buddhists - saved without Christian Faith??
*]If Allah is a name for God, what’s wrong with Catholics praying to him?
*]Why does God get nicer in the New Testament?
*]Is the God of the Old Testament warlike?
*]How to explain violence in Book of Numbers?
[/LIST]

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.