Is Your Computer Ready for the Confiker Virus on April 1st?

A computer virus, known as the Confiker worm, is set to take control of an unknown number of computers tomorrow. These are Windows-based computers that have already been infected with the so-called “Downadup” virus, which is sitting silently on their computers waiting for the magic day to arrive - April 1st. Once activated, the virus will allow the virus writers to take control of your computer, as well as to log your web access and keystrokes in an attempt to get banking information.

If you have Windows, please make sure you have the operating system fully updated with patches (Start > Help and Support > Windows Update).

Also, using an up-to-date anti-virus program is highly recommended. “Free AVG” can be found here (for free!):

free.avg.com/

If your computer starts acting crazy tomorrow, unplug if from the network and see if you can run your antivirus software (if you can’t, it may have been disabled). If your network cable is unplugged from your computer, they can’t get to your system even if it is infected with the virus. The key to protecting yourself though is to make sure your operating system is fully patched, and that your antivirus software is up to date.

opednews.com/articles/Is-Your-Computer-Ready-for-by-John-R-Moffett-090331-983.html

If you’ve only just now heard of the Conficker worm – which may or may not do some very bad things to Windows computers tomorrow, causing a non-trivial Internet traffic jam in the process – I suppose I should compliment you for managing to avoid this topic for so long.

But if you, like most people, use a Windows PC with an Internet connection… I’m sorry, but you need to pay attention to this. Please see Sunday’s Help File column for a brief description of Conficker and links to sites that can help you get rid of it. There’s more detail in the ever-helpful Lifehacker blog’s illustrated summary of the problem.
My colleague Brian Krebs, in turn, provides useful context about Conficker’s global reach and possible danger in his latest blog post.

Finally, the folks at anti-virus developer F-Secure offer a useful reminder on their own blog: Don’t get suckered by fake Conficker fixes. Only use a remedy from a company you know well, or one that’s been recommended by sources you trust and who have already demonstrated their competence in computer security.

voices.washingtonpost.com/fasterforward/2009/03/conficker_removal_reminders.html

A virus that conveniently is releasing itself to absolutely everyone…on april first? It sounds fishy. But better safe than sorry. I’ll download it just in case. :wink:

Thanks for the advice & the web sites.

thanks for the links and tips.

I am on an iMac at home

So far, so good.

The “Conficker” worm is live within Australia, security vendors have confirmed, where it is April 1. At this point, however, it remains quiescent.

Security company Trend Micro has seen the Conficker or Downadup worm increase the number of DNS resolutions, as expected, said Paul Ferguson, the lead researcher for security intelligence, advanced threats research. At this point, however, the worm has taken no other action.

pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2344198,00.asp

“We have observed that Conficker is reaching out, but so far none of the servers they are trying to reach are serving any new malware or any new commands,” said Toralv Dirro, a security strategist at McAfee Avert Labs, in Germany.

This may just mean the people who control Conficker are biding their time, waiting for researchers and IT managers to relax their guard and assume the worst is over.

“It would be pretty stupid for the guys running Conficker to use the first possible opportunity, when everybody is very excited about it and looking at it very carefully,” Dirro said. “If something was going to happen, it would probably happen in a couple of days.”

infoworld.com/article/09/03/31/Conficker_activation_passes_quietly_but_threat_isnt_over-IDGNS_1.html

Meh. I don’t believe it’ll happen, but even if it dose, here is what the guys will find on my laptop:

YIM

And nothing else.

What’s YIM?

Apparently my machine is ok.

so far i haven’t had any problems other than my browser arrow was having a mind of its own today.

Apparently, it was.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.