Is your employer having a holiday/Christmas party this year?

*I think with companies watching costs more and more, the big holiday parties are becoming obsolete. We are having a Thanksgiving ‘‘bring your own dish’’ buffet party at the office today for Thanksgiving, and then next month, we’re going for an after hours party at a hotel attached to our building. Last year, I don’t think we had a party, just a small luncheon thing for employees. I was wondering if any of you are having holiday type parties hosted by your employers? Does your company include spouses? Do you enjoy them? *

The office will have a dinner, my husband and I will not be there as I have to chair a St Vincent de Paul Society meeting that evening.

Nope... I work for the government... so we never have one. I don't really like Company Christmas parties anyways... my DH and I are not going to his. We do have a potluck on Christmas Eve on our floor at work usually though. H1N1 spread!

I work for a Fortune 500 company that has had to weather the recent financial problems as most did. We’ve had cut-backs on expenses, hiring freezes, re-orginizations, and reductions in force. Oh and by the way my particular state is losing a lot of money.

However…the “End of Year” parties (yeah I know) are handled by the individual offices and our’s will probably be the most elaborate I’ve in my 5 years with the company. How does that happen???

We do include spouses (guests since we have to be inclusive). I’m not real big on these type of events so I don’t always go. This year it is at the “Top of the Hub” resturant on the 50th floor of the Prudential Tower in Boston. We’re going to go because we haven’t had a night out in a while and certainly can’t afford to eat there on our own.

Yes our is watching theirs as well...We are having a Holiday party and it's in a nice restaurant next door to our work place! :D I think they might get a discount or something?! Anyhow, I am looking forward to it...I know many employees are too...this year none got a raise but we did get a bonus check to help us out! Hopefully next year things will get better for everyone! :D

*Hi Sina–It’s funny you say this, I was never excited about bringing my husband to these events, but back in Pittsburgh, they were really special. Like everyone got to know each other over the years…my husband even bumped into old high school buds…haha That’s the nice thing about Pittsburgh, it’s not so transient as Florida.

lol@ h1n1 comment! :p*

[quote="iluvmybabies, post:5, topic:176936"]
Yes our is watching theirs as well...We are having a Holiday party and it's in a nice restaurant next door to our work place! :D I think they might get a discount or something?! Anyhow, I am looking forward to it...I know many employees are too...this year none got a raise but we did get a bonus check to help us out! Hopefully next year things will get better for everyone! :D

[/quote]

*Yeah, no salary raises here either, across the globe. I am in sales, so I get bonused on performance, and that was low, too...because things have just been harder this year. :( Hopefully, next year will bring better returns for employers. I am grateful to have a job, that's for sure. It's nice that your company is having something...I hope you enjoy yourself! *

[quote="idrum677, post:4, topic:176936"]
I work for a Fortune 500 company that has had to weather the recent financial problems as most did. We've had cut-backs on expenses, hiring freezes, re-orginizations, and reductions in force. Oh and by the way my particular state is losing a lot of money.

However....the "End of Year" parties (yeah I know) are handled by the individual offices and our's will probably be the most elaborate I've in my 5 years with the company. How does that happen???

We do include spouses (guests since we have to be inclusive). I'm not real big on these type of events so I don't always go. This year it is at the "Top of the Hub" resturant on the 50th floor of the Prudential Tower in Boston. We're going to go because we haven't had a night out in a while and certainly can't afford to eat there on our own.

[/quote]

*Yeah, you could look at it as a night out...:o That's true! Enjoy yourselves this year. *

My company has always done a breakfast during the holidays… a catering company comes in to make omelets for everyone… :smiley: But nothing for extended family…
I haven’t heard any details on when or if they’re doing it this year - so that’s still TBD… :shrug:

DH’s company always has a huge shin-dig - ballroom at a hotel, wine on every table, people dress up - and they actually call it a CHRISTMAS PARTY! :eek::smiley: We love going to that!

*Oh EM, that sounds fabulous! I think that’s nice of his employer to show such appreciation like that…wow! Especially in this economy. You guys will have a blast!

I also like the breakfast/omelet station idea…how fun!!*

My company has in the past had a childrens christmas party and an adult christmas party at a nice hotel. This year they are being combined into one event.

Oh, I like that idea of bringing kids. I think that is very nice. And it will be at the hotel?

It looks like a lot of companies are having something...that is nice.

Not likely, I'm the parish secretary and the only employee so it would be a very small party. :D Cheap though! This year our parish is hosting the Ministerial Association Carol Service so there will be a reception with that early in December.

We usually go to DH's company party but it's not my favorite time. They provide a nice meal and draws for lots of prizes but his dept only has 2 employees (+2 management) and the other one doesn't go so we end up sitting by ourselves or begging to join someone else. It's like being the geek in high school all over again and it makes me uncomfortable. Always have the impression that nobody likes DH and that makes me sad. He's oblivious and I have self-esteem issues. :o

Catholic school teacher here . . . pot luck Christmas celebration at the home of the principal. Dh and I had a great time last year. :thumbsup:

my employer is the parish. we have our parish thanksgiving dinner tonight in about an hour, 200 tickets sold, they have cooked for 250. Our dinner for the needy is on TG day, we expect to serve over 800 meals, over 60 parishioners will be involved in cooking and serving, over 200 in donating food, small appliances and clothing. That is not to mention to 200 food baskets which will be given out by St. Vincent next week.

Same thing for Christmas, dinner for needy on Christmas day, parish dinner the week after Christmas (no parties in ADvent or Lent is our policy). we also do this for Easter.

*This sounds wonderful. God bless you in your efforts for the Church! *

I work for the federal government and the “company” can’t have parties for the employees, it’s literally against the law for us. We do have gatherings at times but it is always a bring your own dish and/or pay for whatever is being served at the “party”. But we never get anything. And if we did, I could just imagine the field day the media would have.

to clarify nothing the parish does in the way of social outreach through St Vincent and other organizations, or community building and socials, has anything to do with me or my efforts, we have a very active parish, all these programs are run by lay people, parishioners, not staff.

[quote="puzzleannie, post:19, topic:176936"]
to clarify nothing the parish does in the way of social outreach through St Vincent and other organizations, or community building and socials, has anything to do with me or my efforts, we have a very active parish, all these programs are run by lay people, parishioners, not staff.

[/quote]

*That's awesome work. I assumed staff was involved, my misreading. *

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.