Is Yu-Gi-Oh bad?

So the card game so long ago and the Television show, I still watch it every now and then as its a part of my childhood. It shows certain areas of good such as rejecting pride, evil and elements like that. But it also has traces of ‘dark’ magic and Egyptian gods. But is completely game through and through. Should I continue to watch it even though it had such elements? It should also be noted it is a kids show and teenagers show, not something for that kind of element.

I think wether Yu-Gi-Oh is bad comes down to your conscience. What does your conscience say?
If it is detrimental to your relationship with God, get rid of it. If however it is merely nostalgic entertainment, what’s so bad about that? I think it is merely a game, and a TV show. Not unlike pokemon or magic the gathering. It is meant to provide entertainment, and in the case of the card games, relationship among friends.

No, Yu-Gi-Oh! isn’t bad.

Combo winters and stagnant metas are what’s bad. Try Vanguard! :stuck_out_tongue:

What in the world? Never heard of such… :shrug:

It’s merely nostalgic entertainment of course! Sometimes I play The cardgame and was in the meta gameplay back in 2013,14 it was fun! I might have to try vanguard soon.

But it isn’t taking over my life whatsoever, just a simple hobby!

By all means, go right ahead! :smiley: Once you’ve covered the basics, feel free to read this to help you pick your clan.

For further questions, the game has its own comprehensive wiki. Have fun! :3

For some amusement, I played a Qliphort deck on Dueling Network last November. I only had 12 matches with it. For some reason, I spent a few hours studying the meta before I played (Shaddolls and Burning Abyss). All you do spam Qliphort Scout’s effect by paying 800 LP to search for another Qliphort, and your opponent would just MST (Burning Abyss could use Phoenix Wing Wind Blast too) or use a sided Fairy Wind or Spell Shattering Arrow to prevent you from searching your deck.

The deck is a little more complicated than that since it involves using the effects of Carrier and Helix when they are tributed and Saqlifice’s search effect, and Pendulum Summoning for an OKO. Also floodgates such as Shadow Imprisoning Mirror and Vanity’s Emptiness are used against other decks. In a nutshell, that is how you play the deck. And it is quite boring if you think about it, but there is some inherent skill in knowing how to bluff your opponent and knowing when to activate a floodgate to shutdown your opponent.

I think it takes a learning curve of about 30 matches to fully master playing the deck (versus the other meta decks and the mirror match) and to get game mechanics. In other words, I did not feel like playing another duel after that night on Dueling Network to master the deck.

I actually like competitive Pokemon better (on Pokemon Showdown), although I hadn’t played a competitive game since June. It became uninteresting when I saw a few battles with other players that had the exact same Pokemon that I was using. I did not copy their teams, but they independently came up with the exact Pokemon: Thundurus, Latios, (Mega) Scizor, Heatran, Landorus-Therian, and Azumarill. It says something about the metagame if many players use a similar permutation of Pokemon. This has to do with their speed tiers and defensive typing relative to other metagame threats. But I only played around 30 matches in June where I mostly dominated the lower ladder simply because of my knowledge of the metagame (and the possible movesets and EV spreads of other Pokemon, and key damage calculations to get invaluable OHKOs and 2HKOs) and rehearsed many potential match ups in my mind so I could make the appropriate moves to maintain my edge.

Nevertheless, I really did not see much of a point spending so much time trying to play with that deck.

I think the entire deck costs > $500 to build in real life (and the same is true concerning the Shaddolls and Burning Abyss decks). I wouldn’t do that, especially since Konami would either power creep the deck in the future or use the ban list to neuter it.

So the card game so long ago and the Television show, I still watch it every now and then as its a part of my childhood. It shows certain areas of good such as rejecting pride, evil and elements like that. But it also has traces of ‘dark’ magic and Egyptian gods. But is completely game through and through. Should I continue to watch it even though it had such elements? It should also be noted it is a kids show and teenagers show, not something for that kind of element.

I kind of liked Seto Kaiba, but part of his appeal was that he was prideful (from what I could remember from the few episodes I have seen years ago).

I think you are fine. Unless it is your intention to sin somehow or unless this is a near occasion of sin (that you’re going to start worshiping Egyptian gods) then I do not see the problem.

It’s fine. I played it as a kid and turned out all right.

Not all entertainment has to be explicitly Catholic. That would get cliche very quickly. I have even found nuggets of Catholic truth in secular entertainment. For instance, I have found the short horror stories of H.P. Lovecraft, a hardboiled atheist, to be powerful arguments against atheism; they show that, without God, humanity and all its accomplishments are dust in the wind and not important in the grand cosmic scheme of things.

Don’t play a stagnant meta with broken combos like Yu-gi-oh, play a vibrant and evolving game like Magic:The Gathering!

There was a time last year when I considered playing competitive Yu-Gi-Oh!. I remembered that Elemental Dragons were a thing but now I hear their prices just hit rock-bottom because of the meta apparently. For the folks who invested in sets, I can only imagine their financial pain. It’s kinda why I decided to give Vanguard a shot. The game keeps getting pitched on anime channels, websites, and the local hobby shops so I figured why not? If I’m gonna go Spike on a game, it might as well be a rising one. :o

Fast forward a year later and I’m among the shop tourney champs and a frequent Top 8 presence.The best part is I used decks that I barely changed for 6-7 months. :stuck_out_tongue: I’m gonna build my third one soon though. The new sets have this killer mechanic that my poor old Limit Breaker can barely keep up with without getting lucky (ironically, Vanguard has a lot of luck involved compared to most TCGs but that’s actually part of the appeal if you study the mechanics :p).

What’s funny is that I’m getting into that too. But man, I draw the line on using legendaries. Believe me, I would look up basic stuff like Smogon, ask my competitive friends for brewing up builds, and my team is armed to the teeth with pseudos but I have a personal policy of never running a legendary. Nope, not even awesome lookin’ ones like Groudon, Dialga, or Yveltal. These bad boys are supposed to be the only one of its kind yet everyone’s running them like they breed faster than Magikarps.

Hence, I pretty much flip the table on metagames (whether it’s card games or games like Pokemon) sometimes because they have a blind tendency to just draw the focus of the game when said is supposed to cater to different kinds of players (for maximum market share if not for anything else).

Don’t even get me started on the negative impact this has on creating an anime/TV show/movie out of said games.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.