Isaiah 1:13?

I was just wondering if anyone might be able to help explain this to me. I think I know why we burn incense during Mass, but as far as apoligetics goes how would I explain this to a fundamentalist Christian?

The quote from Isaiah has nothing to do with the worthiness of incense in worship. Isaiah was reproving the people for offering worship when they were living lives of sin, therefore making such offerings an "abomination" to the Lord.

King David wrote something similar when he had sinner by having Uzzah killed so he could marry his wife. He wrote "burnt offering from me you would refuse, my offering a contrite heart." If we are not repentant for our sins our worship is hollow and means nothing to God. That's what it means.

That's what I was thinking, some people are very clever to discredit the Faith.

Incense burns in Heaven per Revelations:

"...the four living creatures and the twenty-four elders fell down before the Lamb, each holding a harp, and with golden bowls full of incense, which are the prayers of the saints.."

"And another angel came and stood at the altar with a golden censer; and he was given much incense to mingle with the prayers of all the saints upon the golden altar before the throne; 4 and the smoke of the incense rose with the prayers of the saints from the hand of the angel before God."

King David likens incense to prayer:

"Let my prayer be counted as incense before thee, and the lifting up of my hands as an evening sacrifice!"

[quote="JSII, post:1, topic:341025"]
I was just wondering if anyone might be able to help explain this to me. I think I know why we burn incense during Mass, but as far as apoligetics goes how would I explain this to a fundamentalist Christian?

[/quote]

point out that in Revelations, those who have died in Christ stand before him with bowls of incence which are the prayers of those of us still on earth.

Ask him what Zachary the father of John the Baptist was doing when he was visited by an Angel of the Lord who told him that his son John would be the messenger preparing the way of the lord. Fulfilling Malachi's prophecy Mal 3:1.

My priest told me that in the early days of The Church there was livestock all around and people rarely bathed. The incense helped to omit the smells during Mass. Also the smoke rises to heaven in a steady stream as our prayers should also rise to heaven in a steady steam.

It was God who instituted the practice of burning incense as part of worship ritual at the start of the Old Covenant. The use of incense was retained by the Church in the New Covenant.Exodus 30:1 "You shall make an altar to burn incense upon; ..........
30:7 And Aaron shall burn fragrant incense on it; every morning when he dresses the lamps he shall burn it,
30:8 and when Aaron sets up the lamps in the evening, he shall burn it, a perpetual incense before the LORD throughout your generations.

It's interesting to do a Bible word search on "incense".

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.