Isaiah 2:4...

**Isaiah 2:4New International Version (NIV)

He will judge between the nations
and will settle disputes for many peoples.
They will beat their swords into plowshares
and their spears into pruning hooks.
Nation will not take up sword against nation,
nor will they train for war anymore.
New International Version (NIV)**

I was thinking about another verse earlier but could not find the one I heard, it talked about a time after the second coming when non-christians will still be present for a time and then a time and a half, sort of implying the earth will be ruled by Jesus, Israel will be the capitol of the world, but there would still be other nations existing.

The verse above also implies Jesus will be acting like some kind of global judge, settling disputes among many people, and between nations???

If everyone has either been sent to heaven, hell or purgatory, why would there be any disputes, and among whom?

Micah 4 uses similar language.

This is probably the “era of peace” predicted at Fatima, where the international structure and mortal life remain, but supernatural peace reigns.

In everlasting life there would be no need for plowshares and the like. In an earthly peace, there would be.

ICXC NIKA

[INDENT][INDENT][INDENT]. . . :bible1: . . .
The word that Isaias the son of Amos saw, concerning Juda and Jerusalem. And in the last days the mountain of the house of the LORD shall be prepared on the top of mountains, and it shall be exalted above the hills, and all nations shall flow unto it. And many people shall go, and say: Come and let us go up to the mountain of the LORD, and to the house of the God of Jacob, and he will teach us **his **ways, and we will walk in his paths: for the law shall come forth from Sion, and the word of the LORD from Jerusalem. And He shall judge the Gentiles, and rebuke many people: and they shall turn their swords into ploughshares, and their spears into sickles: nation shall not lift up sword against nation, neither shall they be exercised any more to war. - Isaias 2:1-4 DRV[/INDENT][/INDENT][/INDENT]+*Perhaps . . . it is speaking of what is often referred to as "The Thousand Years of The Righteous Reign of Christ" . . . which understanding is based on the below portions of Sacred :bible1: Scripture . . . *[INDENT]. . . :bible1: . . .
"And I saw an angel :angel1: coming down from heaven, having the key of the bottomless pit, and a great chain in his hand. And he laid hold on the dragon the old serpent, which is the devil and Satan, and bound him for a thousand years. And he cast him into the bottomless pit, and shut him up, and set a seal upon him, that he should no more seduce the nations, till the thousand years be finished. And after that, he must be loosed a little time.

And I saw seats; and they sat upon them; and judgment was given unto them; and the souls of them that were beheaded for the testimony of Jesus, and for the Word of God, and who had not adored the beast nor his image, nor received his character on their foreheads, or in their hands; and they lived and reigned with Christ a thousand years. The rest of the dead lived not, till the thousand years were finished.

This is the first resurrection. Blessed and holy is he that hath part in the first resurrection. In these the second death hath no power; but they shall be priests of God and of Christ; and shall reign with him a thousand years."- Apocalypse (Revelation) 20:1-6 DRV[/INDENT]
[RIGHT]. . . all for Jesus+
. . . thank You Sweet Spirit of Our Holy God+[/RIGHT]

Actually I understand this differently than the other posters.

What is settled between nations is what Jesus did when He started the “Universal” Church upon Peter the Rock or first earthly leader of the Church. There ended the divisions of Kingdoms and nations. First the Jew than the Gentile were/are being added in and there is no borders or nations anymore, just the Church being reigned over by Jesus Christ.

The book of Isaiah is a prophesy of things to come which is the crucifixion of Jesus and the beginning of a new era with the Church=Isreal. Jesus rules over us now, and we can experience His judgement in the sacrament of Confession before we receive His Glory on That Holy Mountain in the Eucharist. Isaiah 2:1-3. That is where we can experience ‘heaven’ on earth and divisions between people will go away and we will be of One Faith and One Baptism in the Lord as we are today.

This song may help understand…

youtube.com/watch?v=CZhyTOGCLFo

I too believe this. Having been protestant for many years I projected just about every single prophecy in the OT (beyond those cited in the NT) into the future, so I entirely missed the beauty that existed around me. The Catholic Church, the Mountain of God, the Kingdom of God at hand.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.