Isaiah 49

I just read this chapter in Isaiah. The promises the Lord makes in them are so beautiful and soothing. To know that your creator shall never forget you is very comforting. However the last verse does not sound very Christ like, right?
Verse 26

• I will make your oppressors eat their own flesh,
    and they shall be drunk with their own blood
    as though with new wine.
    All flesh shall know
    that I, the Lord, am your savior,
    your redeemer, the Mighty One of Jacob.*

I’d like to think this will happen to bad people in Hell only, those who have persecuted us (the children of God), those who had so many chances to repent yet refused. Am I right? I mean would God punish someone in this life so harshly? In my own belief I think as long as this person is still alive, God will continue to love that person and keep giving em a chance after a chance to return to Him. Cuz He loves us all!

As for taking this verse literally could people suffer in Hell like this; eating their own flesh? Or was that just an exaggeration to make a point? Like when Jesus said In Matthew 5:30. We know he didn’t really mean to cut one’s hand, that’s a sin of it’s own actually.

So, any other thoughts on this?

It’s hyperbole. Threads asking this type of question go on all the time, apparently. The ‘dealing with OT violence’ is essentially a Marcionite thread just like this. If you take the OT too literally, you end up wondering what kind of God you are worshipping…

I live in a place where I am surrounded by Buddhists!!! Since I’ve had a lot of bad luck in my life, they say, “Do you ever wonder what you might have done in your last life that might have brought this on.”

Sometimes even i think “What could I have done to deserve this?”

But then I remember that I am Christian. And my belief, is that bad luck is random, and GOD DOES NOT PUNISH YOU IN THIS LIFE. So to me, this eating of ones own flesh is a symbol of what happens to the damned souls in hell.

I agree with you: so long as there is life, there’s hope. I believe in last-second redemption, and that God loves us like crazy, until we’re definitely dead, by HIS definition. (I don’t know what that is. It’s HIS.)

Sorry the Bible grossed you out. That happens some times. :hug1: HUGZ

Thank you :slight_smile:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.