Isaiah 7:14

I’m sure we are all aware of this as a prophecy pointing to Jesus’ virginal birth. I would like to focus on the prophecy relating to King Hezekiah’s birth. I’m not quite clear of the sign promised? Does “virgin” mean a good pure woman will give birth? Were the previous queens adulterous or wicked?

Check and read the commentary on the text to help. I hope it will enlighten your mind and doubt

[quote="frjohnmaryt, post:2, topic:317114"]
Check and read the commentary on the text to help. I hope it will enlighten your mind and doubt

[/quote]

I’m not doubting my friend. I’ve already checked Haydock’s and other commentaries but I didn’t find the answer to my question...

I am not a biblical scholar, but I guess you are searching for the meaning of the prophecy in the word “virgin.” I wonder what the prophet really meant by that and how biblical scholars and theologians interpreted the text?
Was it merely about an historical event about a “woman” or it is prophesying about other virginal birth a prophecy in its depth?
I guess you need to do a deep research on this. Check out any commentaries, by great biblical scholars and theologians like, Raymond E Brown, Joseph A. Fitzmyer, and others on that prophecy.
There is a lots to know and a lots to understand and study about this beautiful story of salvation in the BIBLE.:slight_smile:
In Christ and Mary

Anybody else know what this sign "virgin" means?

I think the answer is so obvious that I overcomplicated things.

The sign is Hezekiah would be born from a young woman who had not had sexual relations prior to getting pregnant with him.

How hard was that? Shame on me :banghead:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.