Isaiah 9:5 (6) in hebrew. Hebrew readers come in

Hello,
so I know, again Isaiah 9:6 (5 in the Hebrew Bible)…but my question would be nevertheless:

ה. כִּי יֶלֶד יֻלַּד לָנוּ בֵּן נִתַּן לָנוּ וַתְּהִי הַמִּשְׂרָה עַל
שִׁכְמוֹ וַיִּקְרָא שְׁמוֹ פֶּלֶא יוֹעֵץ אֵל גִּבּוֹר אֲבִי עַד
שַׂר שָׁלוֹם:

This is translated

1. For a child has been born to us, a son given to us, and the authority is upon his shoulder, and the wondrous adviser, the mighty God, the everlasting Father, called his name, “the prince of peace.”

So, not as we know it. Is this a better translation than 6For a child will be born to us, a son will be given to us; And the government will rest on His shoulders; And His name will be called** Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Eternal Father, Prince of Peace** ?

I’ve read and seen videos about it, and no one would translate the way we know it.

In the Hebrew text that you gave, the word for “wonderful” precedes the word for “counselor.” However, in Hebrew the adjective that modifies the noun comes after it, not before it (sus = horse, gadol = big, and “big horse” = sus gadol). The fact that “wonderful” precedes “counselor” tells me that the two words are the first and second items in a series, not a modifier and a noun.

closed #3

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.