Ishmael from Genesis 17

Chapter
20 For Ishmael too I grant you your request. I hereby bless him and will make him fruitful and exceedingly numerous. He will be the father of twelve princes, and I shall make him into a great nation.

Who were the 12 princes?

-EM

[quote="endaman, post:1, topic:313302"]
Chapter
20 For Ishmael too I grant you your request. I hereby bless him and will make him fruitful and exceedingly numerous. He will be the father of twelve princes, and I shall make him into a great nation.

Who were the 12 princes?

-EM

[/quote]

12 These are the descendants of Abraham’s son Ishmael, whom Hagar the Egyptian, Sarah’s slave, bore to Abraham. 13 These are the names of Ishmael’s sons, listed in the order of their birth: Ishmael’s firstborn Nebaioth, Kedar, Adbeel, Mibsam, 14
Mishma, Dumah, Massa, 15 Hadad, Tema, Jetur, Naphish, and Kedemah.

These are the sons of Ishmael, their names by their villages and encampments; twelve chieftains of as many tribal groups.

Thank you, I wonder did those 12 princes go on to be the fore fathers to Muslim people?

I don’t think you have to wonder about Ishmael, the connection between the Arabian tribe that Mohammed came from and Ishmael is rather well established. I don’t know if anyone knows which son or sons or if all of them were the “fathers” of his tribe. I do not believe every Arabian tribe traces a lineage back to Ishmael and, I do believe Mohammed “converted” all of the Arabian tribes. But that’s only what I’ve read.

A history of Islam would probably be a useful read in this regard.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.