ISIS crucifies 9 men in Syria's Aleppo

Beirut: A jihadist group in Syria has publicly executed and crucified nine men, eight of them rebels fighting both President Bashar al-Assad’s regime and the jihadists, a monitor said on Sunday.

The report comes amid fierce clashes on the outskirts of Damascus between the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria, which is spearheading a major offensive in Iraq, and rebels, the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights said.

“ISIS executed eight men in Deir Hafer in the east of Aleppo province” on Saturday because they belonged to rebel groups that had fought against the jihadists as well as Assad’s forces, it said.

ISIS then “crucified them in the main square of the village, where their bodies will remain for three days”, the Britain-based monitor said.

Also in Aleppo province, a ninth man was executed and crucified in Al-Bab town near the border with Turkey.

deccanchronicle.com/140629/world-middle-east/article/isis-crucifies-9-men-syrias-aleppo-ngo

This seems designed to provoke a response from the West to grant their wish to become martyrs for Islam.

There may be some other twisted logic behind this atrocity, but it is beyond me. It reminds me of the huge cultural gap between the US and Japan in WWII that was ended by action in Hiroshima and Nagasaki.

Significantly fewer people know about the twenty-six martyrs of Japan who were crucified at the end of the 16th century, in Nagasaki of all places. When I learned of this event, the nuclear bombing took on a much higher, macabre significance.

How terrible! This is just so sick…:mad:

:confused: Really? People still do crucifixion, even in these present times?

And all this time, I thought it ended with the fall of the Roman Empire. :rolleyes:

All compliments of the U.S. President and the State Department!!!

Linus2nd

Perhaps an important difference is that Rome used crucifixion as means of execution. It was slow and extremely painful. Basically, people were being tortured to death.

The news report is that the bodies of executed people were crucified. This would be more similar to historical England, where the bodies of executed people were suspended in public and allowed to be decompose while being picked at by birds and vermin. The practice, which is essentially corpse abuse, was to send a message to the public. It was a means of striking fear into them.

I agree that the recent crucifixions may be intended to provoke the West. But I think they are also intended to send a terrorizing message to the local populace.

In the late 1800’s crucifixion was still common in Darfur. I know that because it played a role in the conversion of St. Josephine Bakhita.

I am so tired of these gruesome stories.

I am praying for the repose of all the souls who are being killed because of terrorism.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.