ISIS gives Iraq Christians 'one week' to convert or die

From Christian Today:

Islamic militant terrorists ISIS is giving non-muslims in Iraq three options: leave, convert or die.

(snip)

ISIS has reportedly been giving the ultimatum since the group took over Mosul, the capital of the Nineveh providence in northern Iraq, in June.

The group also threatened to impose a “special tax” on Iraqi Christians. Thousands of Christians left Mosul in July after the group gave the ultimatum saying that if they did comply there would be 'nothing for them but the sword."

These people (ISIS) believe that they are doing a holy thing in their actions. From the Quran (Sura At Taubah verses 29 -35)

29 Fight against such of those who have been given the Scripture as believe not in Allah nor the Last Day, and forbid not that which Allah hath forbidden by His messenger, and follow not the Religion of Truth, until they pay the tribute readily, being brought low.
30 And the Jews say: Ezra is the son of Allah, and the Christians say: The Messiah is the son of Allah. That is their saying with their mouths. They imitate the saying of those who disbelieved of old. Allah (Himself) fighteth against them. How perverse are they!
31 They have taken as lords beside Allah their rabbis and their monks and the Messiah son of Mary, when they were bidden to worship only One God. There is no God save Him. Be He Glorified from all that they ascribe as partner (unto Him)!
32 Fain would they put out the light of Allah with their mouths, but Allah disdaineth (aught) save that He shall perfect His light, however much the disbelievers are averse.
33 He it is Who hath sent His messenger with the guidance and the Religion of Truth, that He may cause it to prevail over all religion, however much the idolaters may be averse.
34 **O ye who believe! Lo! many of the (Jewish) rabbis and the (Christian) monks devour the wealth of mankind wantonly and debar (men) from the way of Allah. **They who hoard up gold and silver and spend it not in the way of Allah, unto them give tidings (O Muhammad) of a painful doom,
35 On the day when it will (all) be heated in the fire of hell, and their foreheads and their flanks and their backs will be branded therewith (and it will be said unto them): Here is that which ye hoarded for yourselves. Now taste of what ye used to hoard.

(I am not saying that this is “authentic Islam” – but this sure appears to be an interpretation of Islam to which these folks subscribe)

We should pray for our Brothers and Sisters in Christ, that they may be steadfast in their faith against torture and death.

“And do not be afraid of those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul; rather, be afraid of the one who can destroy both soul and body in Gehenna.” Matthew 10:28, NASB

This is terrible and unfortunate. I pray for them and also the families of those who have died recently like James Foley, he is a Martyr. This makes me wonder, what does God think about all of this and how come He won’t make these militant terrorists stop!! I know we can’t question God, it just makes me wonder…

A wise Post. When one reads these headlines, it makes one wonder what response would we truly give. I pray that my faith is never thus tested, however I also pray that I would die for my Christ. We must pray for these poor people so greatly tested whilst we live in freedom.

When reading stuff like this its easy to get filled with hateriot towards ISIL, and even though they deserve nothing less than hateriot and curses thrown their way it’s not good for us to actively hate others or wish them dead.
Our Lord told us to pray for our enemies and bless them, as Im reading this I have to say its hard not to be filled with hate, but I’ll try to pray for both our poor Christian brethren in the Middle East as well as for the horrible Muslims in ISIL to wake up and see what they’re doing to others and to see that they serve no one else than satan.

Let’s make use of the most powerful weapon available, to the Rosaries soldiers!

Yours in Jesus and Mary

• MarianCatholic

Correct. They need our prayers.

Accounts and descriptions of Christians being murdered is not ‘stuff’.

We need clear pictures of the atrocities to help stimulate an end to the violence.

What exactly is ‘hateriot’ ?

Wow. This is horrible. I cannot condemn the actions of ISIS strongly enough!

Why on earth are you attacking the way I formulate myself?
I think if you bother to read through my post I do stress out how sad and frustrating it is to read about how our brethren get persecuted in Iraq.

I think you knew what I meant when I wrote hateriot, but for some twisted reason you’ve decided to make a big deal out of my grammars and yes I know there are lots of grammars in my posts and that’s due to the fact that English is my second language.

Please, grow up!

Yours in Jesus and Mary

• MarianCatholic

Pardon me?
Who is attacking here?
I simply made clear that stories of Christian martyrdom is not ‘stuff’. I questioned what you meant by ‘hateriot’. I have never seen that before. This is an English speaking forum.

not helpful. By the context of the post, hateriot is meant to be hatred. Have you never spoken with someone from Europe before?? She is, in fact, writing in English. a misspelling is not worth pointing out.
What word would you find more acceptable rather than stuff? Must she have written the word “news” in order for it to have passed your inspection?

Terrorism makes everyone angry. Lets not let satan and his army “ISIS” get the best of us. Stay pious. :thumbsup: myself included, although it is hard.

Indeed, but whilst not perfectly correct grammatically the poster you are replying to made a post which is reasonably clear in intent and pedantically picking at their post is pointless. Also it is an English speaking forum but the Church is worldwide.

Dont we Christians believe that the price to pay for apostasy and sin is death as dictated under The Law?

How do we know that ISIS has not received instruction from God to kill unbelievers anyway? Would you have thought Abraham was evil and terroristic while he was walking his son up the mountain to kill him?

Im not defending ISIS in any way, but it seems we have no room to condemn them either, sadly.

**Thanks for the support dear Savedbygrace71 **:thumbsup:
We do share faith at this site and thats wonderful, but one has to keep in mind that there are tons of different personalities present at this forums at all times and even though we share faith we dont necessarily have anything in common except from it.

Our task is to try keep a friendly tone and have a constructive dialoug despite Our differences and this is something we all have to contribute to in order to achieve good communication and pointing out others shortcomings and grammars arent the way to go as I see it.

Yours in Jesus and Mary

• MarianCatholic

Catholic, Orthodox patriarchs worried about “the very existence of Christians” in the Middle East bit.ly/1sIU8Yn

Some analysts are now estimating ISIS forces in Syria and Iraq to total 100.000. That would not surprise me, but I have no doubt that a growing number of there new recruits are lacking in military training.

Seamus , is their lack of training very relevant since they are brutally dealing with civilians ? I do not know much about military training in this specific issue. What do you think ?
Thanks.

This reminds me of how Stalin responded to a warning that the pope would disapprove of what he was doing.
“How many divisions does the pope got”?

Because Christians are not strategically relevant to anybody with power, there is every chance that the region will be soon as free of Christians as it has become free of Jews.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.