ISIS is Using Social Media to Reach YOU

The migration from Internet chat forums to social media platforms came late to jihadists, but they’ve adapted skillfully. A strategy developed over years has evolved into a sophisticated campaign and now, at the center of the world’s attention, ISIS is using its skill to communicate directly to an American audience.

The filmed execution of James Foley was the first time most Americans saw ISIS address them but the group has been targeting Westerners for months.

“The first big turning point was Mosul,” said Emerson Brooking, a research associate at the Council on Foreign Relations, referring to ISIS’s capture of the city in early June. “ISIS put a lot of pre-planning into the social media arm of this offensive, and the effort paid off.” After Mosul, Brooking said, “You see a significant spike in English-language videos and images.”

If it could take Mosul, ISIS knew it would have the world’s attention and had planned what it wanted to say. The rehearsal for the global audience came earlier, in Syria’s civil war, where ISIS refined its approach to messaging online.

Starting in Iraq and later spreading to Syria after entering the war there in 2013, ISIS used social media to publicize its campaign of slaughter and threaten its enemies. The group’s military prowess was enhanced by its reputation for brutality, spread by its own media efforts, which weakened its enemies resistance and led some to flee from battle. On Twitter and in Facebook pages ISIS was making appeals as well as threats, attracting recruits and soliciting funding online.

This was actually an old tactic adopted to new technology. During the U.S. war in Iraq, when ISIS, in an earlier incarnation, was known as as al Qaeda in Iraq, the group learned “how to engage a U.S. audience and get at them,” according to Clint Watts a senior fellow at the Foreign Policy Research Institute. The difference now is that ISIS no longer depends on intermediaries to broadcast its barbarism. In this new environment, the group’s media arm can upload its propaganda and see it spread globally in a matter of minutes or hours.

Another tactic ISIS developed was tweeting pictures of administrative services in the areas under its control that were meant to show its ability to govern. The images of ISIS in Syria that circulated in the West documented the group’s brutality. But to a local audience it was showing both piles of corpses and its fighters passing out candy – saying effectively, that, while it turned the rest of the world into a graveyard, for the faithful life would be sweet.

Then, on June 10, after ISIS captured Mosul, its messages pivoted towards the West. The majority of the group’s posts were still in Arabic but English tweets and translated videos surged as ISIS targeted a Western audience. One meme clearly aimed to recruit young Westerners was the image of two ISIS fighters posing over a caption comparing jihad to the video game Call of Duty.

“The big difference now is that [ISIS] has its own English speakers,” said Peter Neumann, Director of the International Centre for the Study of Radicalisation at King’s College in London. “And they have their own media now where they can put this right out on Twitter and everybody can immediately see it and spread it online.”

That has meant relying on a combination of sophisticated marketing and "social-media strategies that inflate and control its message.” Those stratgegies having increasingly been aimed squarely at a Western audience. During the World Cup ISIS used a hashtag, #WorldCup2014, exploiting the massive soccer audience’s attention to flood the Internet with its propaganda.

On Aug. 7, after President Obama authorized airstrikes in Iraq, ISIS responded with a hashtag campaign. The hashtag, #AMessageFromISIStoUS, threatening Americans with retribution for the airstrikes, was one sign that “ISIS has moved to a policy of direct and aggressive engagement via social media,” said Brooking of the Council on Foreign Relations.

More “aggressive engagement” followed. Some of it was meant to invoke the specter of ISIS as an omnipresent force, like the tweet of an ISIS flag in front of the White House. Another ISIS meme showing fighters posing with Nutella, the chocolate spread popular in Europe, was a different sort of engagement, meant to lure Westerners to the fight in Syria and Iraq.

thedailybeast.com/articles/2014/08/31/isis-s-use-of-social-media-to-reach-you-its-new-audience.html

Psalm 27:1
The LORD is my light and my salvation-- whom shall I fear? The LORD is the stronghold of my life-- of whom shall I be afraid?

:thumbsup:

ISIS and Islam are doomed. Their temporary victories are just that, temporary. Be not afraid.

Though he was in the form of God, he did not deem equality with God something to be grasped at.

Rather, he emptied himself and took the form of a slave, being born in the likeness of men.

He was known to be of human estate, and it was thus that he humbled himself, obediently accepting even death, death on a cross!

Because of this, God highly exalted him and bestowed on him the name above every other name.

So that at Jesus’ name every knee must bend in the heavens, on the earth, and under the earth, and every tongue proclaim to the glory of God the Father:

**JESUS CHRIST IS LORD! **

(From the letter of the apostle Paul to the Philippians 2:6-12)

What we must do is to TRUST in Jesus for His victory has already been won, we are the Resurrection People and we need not be afraid that evil will win. We must pray, sacrifice, and visit the Blessed Sacrament. But most of all we must remember that we have to Trust Jesus - he has already won.

Yes! thankfully there is Jesus and we know Him!

Seeker, I think that posting this kind of information same as the bubonic plague one and similar others only help achieve their tactic this article refers to.
Awareness is one thing,panic is another one. IMHO.
I do not know what kind of source the Daily Beast is either.

The Daily Beast is what Newsweek morphed into. It’s news reporting is pretty reliable.

I believe you are right.
i was thinking about that… I do not know much about the Daily Beast since is it a “.com” site. and If anyone knew I was hoping they would post (which people usually do if it is not a reliable site) However I think it is important to know that they very well have bio weaponry. I have seen this article on different new sites which is one of the main reasons why I posted it. They get alot of funding.

This post is one of those articles that you just have to take with a grain of salt.

Thanks,Guilliam.

Our Lady of Fatima,
pray for us.

Our Lady of Fatima,
convert the Muslims.

:knight2: :byzsoc: :knight1:

No the purpose of this post was to make aware of all the articles and websites that are being posted out there that could have rumors rather than facts that perhaps people made up or ISIS. And that we need to be careful of what we are reading about ISIS because of the whole fear and worrying issue because they are blood thirsty and spreading.

ERROR-edited

Thank you ,Seeker.
I appreciate what you are saying . Sometimes it is hard for me to tell reliable from unreliable sources from abroad,so I am grateful when this is filtered for us,you know.
Thanks again.

oh i totally understand esp when it is such a large topic and sensitive such as ISIS :slight_smile:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.