Isis laptop reveals terror group 'wants to turn bubonic plague into a weapon of war'

A laptop owned by an Isis militant appears to show the group’s plans to develop and use chemical weapons including the bubonic plague.

The computer, shown to Foreign Policy reporters, was found to include the typical propaganda and instruction manuals, but the physics and chemistry student who owned the laptop also had a 19-page document on how to develop biological weapons, including the bubonic plague. It included instructions on how to test the weapons in mice.

“Use small grenades with the virus, and throw them in closed areas like metros, soccer stadiums, or entertainment centers,” the document says, reported Foreign Policy. “Best to do it next to the air-conditioning. It also can be used during suicide operations.”

The document also contains a fatwa written by the jailed Saudi cleric Nasir al-Fahd, justifying the use of such weapons.
independent.co.uk/news/world/middle-east/seized-isis-laptop-reveals-wmd-plans-9702030.html

I really hope the countries of the world stop ISIS before they get that far. There have been other articles posted about this laptop that was found around the time when Obama gave his speech of we do not have a plan yet for ISIS. Wonders if this laptop that was found helped countries to decided to start airstrikes on ISIS.

I read the article about this news story that was featured on CNN. While it is a scary prospect that the ISIS Islamists would probably have no reservation about using this type of weapon they should consider that it could very well backfire on them. Yersinia pestis, the Plague, does not discriminate friend from foe. Pestis is well understood and unless the strain has been specially compounded as a weapon, medications are still effective against it.

As Christians we should pray that God moves His mighty hand against those who kill the innocent in His name. We also must be strong and ready to give our all to defend the faith even with our life if that becomes necessary. We also should remember that Jesus has already won the victory and that any apparent victories by ISIS are only temporary.

I pray for my brothers and sisters in those ancient lands. I pray for the defeat of ISIS and I pray that we remember that "Every knee shall bend and every tongue proclaim that Jesus Christ is Lord to the Glory of God the Father.

When is Obama and the rest of our leaders going to wake up to the very serious threat that Islamic State poses to us? They seem to just be sitting on their hands while Islamic State plans our slaughter. :(:mad:

You’re kidding me right? This group is really starting to scare me now. Start praying! Obama must do something!

Probably at the same time our government does, which will be never for Christians but immediately when the threat is against their favourite groups such as pro-abortion and pro-same sex marriage, or against multinational businesses.

I must say that I sadly agree with you.

Looks like someone on the ISIS side has been reading Tom Clancy’s Executive Orders, only in that book it was ebola rather than the bubonic plague. Neither disease is actually all that easy to transmit (direct contact with body fluids in the case of ebola, flea bites in the case of the plague), but because the plague is a bacterial disease (ebola is viral), it is much easier to treat and cure. Mortality after treatment with antibiotics ranges from 1% to 15%, while mortality from ebola runs about 90%, barring use of that new “miracle drug.”

(Info about ebola from news coverage of the on-going outbreak; info about the plague from the easiest of resources to use – en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bubonic_plague )

Hopefully Putin will do something about this.

Lol, you’re faith in the United States military and intelligence apparatus is overwhelming!:smiley:

Well, Tom Clancy or not, I would say it’s actually more likely they got the idea from perusing US government documents.

Please check out this link:eek::
mtholyoke.edu/acad/intrel/chemical.htm

Didn’t mean to intimate that Clancy was original, but his fictional depiction was quite :bigyikes:

This is starting to remind me of 1938-9, when the leaderships of the Western World feared everything but the Third Reich.

ICXC NIKA.

Oh, I know you didn’t mean that. I actually have an abiding interest in books and films that have a plague theme. It’s an interest I picked up from a friend of mine who is completely obsessive about the subject. I think the Middle East is different, though. I think chemical/biological warfare must seem a lot more immediate and horrific to people in that part of the world, considering their history. Here in the US I think we tend to approach the subject more through novels and films, rather than a war torn environment. I’m sure you see what I’m getting at. Anyway, I encourage you to check out that link above. The subject is just disturbing as hell, to be sure!:frowning:

Bubonic plague is caused by a bacterium, not a virus. It can be treated with antibiotics. So there’s that, at least. :shrug:

haha. I’m just saying, he actually does stuff unlike Obama.

Actually the Plague is spread easily as it spreads through the air. It depends on the strain of plague but for some reason all called the Black Plauge/Black Death/Bubonic Plague. :shrug:
dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2592566/How-Black-Death-Londoners-just-cosmopolitan-Analysis-14th-century-remains-shows-four-10-victims-grew-elsewhere.html

How do people become infected with plague?
People most commonly acquire plague when they are bitten by a flea that is infected with the plague bacteria. People can also become infected from direct contact with infected tissues or fluids while handling an animal that is sick with or that has died from plague. Finally, people can become infected from inhaling respiratory droplets after close contact with cats and humans with pneumonic plague.

What are the different forms of plague?
There are three forms of plague:

Bubonic plague: Patients develop sudden onset of fever, headache, chills, and weakness and one or more swollen, tender and painful lymph nodes (called buboes). This form is usually the result of an infected flea bite. The bacteria multiply in the lymph node closest to where the bacteria entered the human body. If the patient is not treated with appropriate antibiotics, the bacteria can spread to other parts of the body.
Septicemic plague: Patients develop fever, chills, extreme weakness, abdominal pain, shock, and possibly bleeding into the skin and other organs. Skin and other tissues may turn black and die, especially on fingers, toes, and the nose. Septicemic plague can occur as the first symptoms of plague, or may develop from untreated bubonic plague. This form results from bites of infected fleas or from handling an infected animal.
Pneumonic plague: Patients develop fever, headache, weakness, and a rapidly developing pneumonia with shortness of breath, chest pain, cough, and sometimes bloody or watery mucous. Pneumonic plague may develop from inhaling infectious droplets or from untreated bubonic or septicemic plague that spreads to the lungs. The pneumonia may cause respiratory failure and shock. Pneumonic plague is the most serious form of the disease and is the only form of plague that can be spread from person to person (by infectious droplets).

cdc.gov/plague/faq/

All are treatable with common antibiotics. Not a terribly effective weapon, except inasmuch as they instill panic.

True. If it does spread quickly could there be a shortage or high demand of antibiotics?

I am not sure how or what the circumstances were in finding that laptop perhaps they expected or wanted it found for just that purpose - panic and scare tactic?
I mean the news of the laptop being found with the bio weaponry including the plague is an attention getter with fear added.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.