Islam and Christianity

Hello : )

I’m wondering how our brethren Christians see Muslims and Islam.
I will give a breif definition of the Muslim view of Christianty and Chrsitians (anybody who call themselves Christians).
Muslims beleive that the Gospel is the Good News that Jesus brought, we do not beleive that Jesus is God nor the Son of God, however we beleive that all Christians have a very big chance of going to heaven along with other non Muslims and Muslims, because they are Monotheistic, they follow Jesus the best they can, a lot of Christians (like the real sincere ones, the very devout, submissive to God ones) actually are going to heaven, and would be among the first to enter it. We Muslims beleive that Chrsitianity is pure, it has a lot of truth in it, it has more common ground with Islam that the media and other bad Christians/Muslims want the rest of humanity to beleive. We beleive that Chrsitniaty is anohter path to God and to salation, despite it being a littel bit different, we don’t beleive God would take on Muslims as “his” people and ignore the rest of humanity because they are not Muslims.
These are the main points, basically in a very simplistic way.
So tell me how you see us.

I think it’s hard to know because there are different groups of Muslims just like there are different denominations of Christians (although Catholics aren’t a denomination, we’re the original) but there are fundamental beliefs that we do believe in like the Trinity. I think many Christians forget we have more in common with each other than differences. The differences can be significant, however.

There are extreme Muslims and I know they don’t think that anyone but Muslims are going to heaven. It’s good to know that the majority think Christians have chance. I also think a lot of people don’t really know that much about Islam or the teachings and what is know is only the most extreme.

What denomination or tradition to you follow?

There are no major splitting between the Muslims, you will hear about Sunni and Shiites, but their differences are political in nature, not about faith.We Muslims do not think that the differences are major, we think they lead to different paths that could be true and can lead to salvation.
I do not follow a denomination, because they don’t exist in Islam nor do I belong to any “group” if you want to call it that. I am a Muslim, that’s all :slight_smile:

So not Sufi? I thought they were kind of a more mystical branch. I recently picked up a Sufi journal to learn more.

Ive lived in a Muslim country when I was 5 years of age and then lived in the region (South East Asia) till date. I never knew back then ('73-'79 when I lived in Indonesia) that Muslims believed in Jesus in whatsoever. It was surprise to me Islam could actually have a different understanding but later I was not surprised considering Islam started in 680 A.D. or so 680 after Jesus lived on earth.

Glad to know your Muslim Faith believes Christians can go to Heaven. However, Jesus of Islam is taken from the “Christian Book” (you Muslims call us “people of the book”) that means from the Bible.

However, Catholicism the original Christians who believed and still believe in the Suffering, Death, Resurrection and Ascension of the Crucified Christ (Our God - 2nd Person of the Trinity - and Man) didn’t just read a book. We Heard the Word and our Faith came from hearing, not necessarily reading. It’s better to pray than read.

There are other faiths who believe in some sort of Jesus, but there is only One and He WILL return, and that taught by the Catholic Church for 2000 years.

We have ALL the records of those who believed and LIVED THE FAITH and experienced the True Jesus.

Praise God ALMIGHTY for sending us His Son. This teaching and Faith is True and NOT to be Compromised. However, we Catholics for example MUST be Charitable thus believe **Muslims surely can go to Heaven **as long as they are living in Invincible Ignorance but try to live and Trust the One God.

God IS ONE and this teaching is from already 2000 years.

We have the Fullness of Truth however, and others who may believe in God or even those who don’t can still go to Heaven if they are living in Invincible ignorance trying their best to live a good charitable life.

God is patient and kind. Praise Him Always! Pray at ALL TIMES.

MJ

It is good to see Lovers of God participating in Harmonious Relations, well done. May one God and One Faith be realised! :thumbsup:

Regards Tony

Fine. But not in the expense of Truth and the Spirit of confusion. Be of one Mind, one Faith, One Baptism.

MJ

as i see it, christians revere jesus as part of the divine trinity. muslims revere god, but they see jesus as a prophet, and not a divinity. that is the difference.

Short and sweet.:smiley:

MJ

The few Muslims I have known might as well have been atheists aside from a few cultural practices, however, I see the “average,” praying Muslim as a holy person.

I’d like to add though, that if Muslims see Jesus as a good person, and have read scripture then there is a blindness on their part. Jesus says he is God. So either He is, or he was a liar.

Hi, ImaMuslim, Welcome to CAF!

I am curious about what qualities make someone admirable in Muslim eyes? Which living people or recent people would they admire and why?

Hello imamuslim, I will also welcome you to the forums, and apologize if the following post offends. That being said, you asked for how we view Muslims, and I will give my personal opinion, not reflective of Catholics in whole or in part, but,again, my own personal opinions which may or may not be backed in Church theology (I have no idea).

I view Muslims as a wholly misguided people who, though many of them honestly and genuinely are seeking God (a quality which I find quite admirable, and respect them for), have largely discarded logic and critical thinking in considering the nature of their prophet; and have put on blinders which allow them to look past his severe shortcomings as a man of God.

I still believe that salvation is possible for Muslims who genuinely seek to live God’s will, and I am glad to hear that you feel the same of Christians. I do not, however, believe that there is substantial common ground between the two faiths beyond our desire to worship the One True God. Our understandings of his Nature and Will appear to be so wholly different from each other as to be irreconcilable; and the men through whom we worship Him (Jesus Christ vs Muhammad) could not be any more different in method and ideology if they tried.

Again, I would like to reiterate that I mean no offense, and that I genuinely believe that many Muslims are truly good people actively seeking out God in the best way they know how. I apologize again if I have offended you, but you did ask…

Also, I’ll reiterate this question, because it’s gotten my curious about your response:

This is all very interesting to me. I went to school with Muslims. We all got along very well. They told me they believe in the Virgin Mary. I thought this to be astounding. All these years I have held this in my heart. They believe in the Virgin Birth. Who do they think Mary was carrying in her womb? Today, I wonder…

1. The Church regards with esteem also the Moslems. They adore the one God, living and subsisting in Himself; merciful and all- powerful, the Creator of heaven and earth,(5) who has spoken to men; they take pains to submit wholeheartedly to even His inscrutable decrees, just as Abraham, with whom the faith of Islam takes pleasure in linking itself, submitted to God. Though they do not acknowledge Jesus as God, they revere Him as a prophet. They also honor Mary, His virgin Mother; at times they even call on her with devotion. In addition, they await the day of judgment when God will render their deserts to all those who have been raised up from the dead. Finally, they value the moral life and worship God especially through prayer, almsgiving and fasting.

Since in the course of centuries not a few quarrels and hostilities have arisen between Christians and Moslems, this sacred synod urges all to forget the past and to work sincerely for mutual understanding and to preserve as well as to promote together for the benefit of all mankind social justice and moral welfare, as well as peace and freedom.

vatican.va/archive/hist_councils/ii_vatican_council/documents/vat-ii_decl_19651028_nostra-aetate_en.html

No offense was take, no worries.
I think you have summed it up beautifully.
When saying that we have discarded logic for the nature of our prophet, I can not agree with that, because obviously here you are misunderstanding even the role of the prphet and Islam. You also have said that we worship God through Jesus and Mohammed, not true either. For us Muslims the role of the prophet is nothing but a messenger, he is the bearer of news from God, that is all. So with or without Mohammed Islam would still exist, we do not need the prophet. We do not need Jesus either. God could have still sent us the books without the prophets. So we do not worship any prophet, we do not worhsip God through anything/any human being. We worship God directly without intercessors, without “helpers”. Porphets were not without faults, flaws, or sins, they were humans however God chose them and strengthened them, forgave their shortcomings, and made them “super humans”. But I do not like when people who have no knowledge of any subject not just religion, talk about that subject or form opinions. I can bet 1million dollar you have never read the life of the prophet, you don’t know much if anything about him. Therefore you can no form an opinion on the person he was. You ca form an opinion on Muslims, you are free to do so. To say we put blinders in order to get past his severe shortcomings, tells me you **really ** don’t know anything about him but what you have heard on the media. I can not blame you though, and if I’m wrong correct me. I can even give you some non Muslim writers who wrote about him in truth and beyond prejudice who can flat out disagree with you.
I think the reason why our differences seem to be irreconcilable because of the concepts we have of God. If get to agree on the concetps we would pretty much be identical. Second main point of difference are both Jesus and Mohammed. We Muslims can still have Islam without Mohammed, but Christians can not have Christianity without the Christ. Only Quran is the major determinator of Islam without it there would be no Islam, we do not regard Mohammed as an angel, but as a migthy man of God just like all the prophets before him.
If you still have questions, please ask :slight_smile:
sorry for the long explanation.
I hope you will not be offended, and if you are I’m really sorry didn’t mean it.

Thank you for the beautifu reply :slight_smile:
If the whole world followed your words, we would live in perpetual peace.

No I am not a Sufi. Anybody can be one, you don’t necessarily have to be a Muslim to be Sufi.

I can write a whole book about qualities a Muslims should have to be admired.
Kwnoing that we do not have saints, we do not have a hiearchy either, we have however pious Muslims we try to imitate, all were scholars/scientists/poets/philophers …
We do not put them on a pedestral though, we put them on a high esteem as good examples that should be followed, that’s all. Obviously any pious, God wary, good loving people are to be admired in the Muslim eyes. If you read the Quran it talks about Priests, pious and admirable people of the book, means Christians and Jews. I know it doesn’t help much what I said, but anybody who has a Godly personality is to be admired from any faith. That’s how we Muslims see things.

Not my words but from Vatican II document “DECLARATION ON
THE RELATION OF THE CHURCH TO NON-CHRISTIAN RELIGIONS
NOSTRA AETATE”.

Assalamu alaikum

I’m glad you took no offense.

When saying that we have discarded logic for the nature of our prophet, I can not agree with that, because obviously here you are misunderstanding even the role of the prphet and Islam.

In what way have I misunderstood it? Stating that I misunderstand something doesn’t make it so; you have to present an argument about why my understanding is mistaken.

You also have said that we worship God through Jesus and Mohammed, not true either.

What was meant by that is that you derive your method of worship form the life of Muhammad. As for Catholics, we actually do worship God through Christ, because Christ is God’s son, and is God incarnate.

For us Muslims the role of the prophet is nothing but a messenger, he is the bearer of news from God, that is all. So with or without Mohammed Islam would still exist, we do not need the prophet.

At the risk of sounding snarky, I’ll agree with your last point there :stuck_out_tongue: However, how can you say that Islam would still exist without Muhhamad if it is from his teachings that all of your beliefs are derived? That’s like saying Christianity wouldn’t exist without Christ, or Judaism wouldn’t exist Without Abraham.

We do not need Jesus either.

I’ll respectfully disagree, but will save that for another topic.

God could have still sent us the books without the prophets. So we do not worship any prophet, we do not worhsip God through anything/any human being. We worship God directly without intercessors, without “helpers”.

Except for that the books are only as important / worthwhile as the people they are written about. The Bible wouldn’t be important if not for Christ, the Torah wouldn’t be important without Abraham and the Prophets. The Qu’ran wouldn’t be considered important if not for the religion that Muhammad started.

Porphets were not without faults, flaws, or sins, they were humans however God chose them and strengthened them, forgave their shortcomings, and made them “super humans”.

In the OT, the ascension to being a prophet was accompanied by hardship, and a change in nature of the prophets themselves, the same is true of Christ’s apostles. Muhammad, on the other hand, indulged in all of the worldly pleasure that both the OT and NT spoke against, and yet still claimed it as the will of God. This is why I state that your religion requires a complete disconnect with logic. You follow a man claiming to be a man of God, but who rejects the core tenants of all previous prophets and holy men. It is true that good men fail, and I do not hold Muhammad’s failings against him as the key source of distrust. However, when the prophets failed, they took responsibility for it. When Muhammad failed, he said that God had allowed a special provision just for him.

But I do not like when people who have no knowledge of any subject not just religion, talk about that subject or form opinions. I can bet 1million dollar you have never read the life of the prophet, you don’t know much if anything about him. Therefore you can no form an opinion on the person he was. You ca form an opinion on Muslims, you are free to do so.

You are correct, I have never read the entire Qu’ran. I have, however, read about the life of Muhammad pulled straight from the words of his own holy book. In fact, I have read a number of things discussing his life, from both a Christian and secular perspective; and I think a couple from an actual Muslim perspective. I can’t say I was impressed.

To say we put blinders in order to get past his severe shortcomings, tells me you **really ** don’t know anything about him but what you have heard on the media. I can not blame you though, and if I’m wrong correct me. I can even give you some non Muslim writers who wrote about him in truth and beyond prejudice who can flat out disagree with you.

You are entitled to your opinion, as I am mine. Only one of the two is logically consistent, and I’d love to discuss which that is with you.

I think the reason why our differences seem to be irreconcilable because of the concepts we have of God. If get to agree on the concetps we would pretty much be identical.

You believe in a singular God, not a trinity, which is a major difference. You also reject that God incarnate himself as man, and died for our sins; which is another -major- difference.

Second main point of difference are both Jesus and Mohammed. We Muslims can still have Islam without Mohammed, but Christians can not have Christianity without the Christ.

I assert that Islam -cannot- exist without Muhammad, since it is based around his life and teachings.

Only Quran is the major determinator of Islam without it there would be no Islam, we do not regard Mohammed as an angel, but as a migthy man of God just like all the prophets before him.
If you still have questions, please ask :slight_smile:
sorry for the long explanation.
I hope you will not be offended, and if you are I’m really sorry didn’t mean it.

Again, I also hope that you are not offended; I simply have significant issues with Islam, and you asked us to voice our opinions. I mean no disrespect to you,m and believe that you are sincerely seeking out God. I simply feel that you are looking in the wrong place.

Also, I won’t be able to respond again this evening, so if you chose to reply to me I’ll try to hit it in the morning. God Bless ^^

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.