Islam and same sex marriage?

I was hoping someone could answer how the Supreme Court’s decision on SSM will affect the Muslim community in the U.S.?
Are weddings performed in mosques?
I know in many Muslim countries homosexuality is not legal and punishment takes place. So how are the Muslims in America reacting to the Supreme Court decision?

I would imagine the orthodox of every faith, for the most part, are opposed to same-sex marriage. However, there seems to be more verbal opposition among the Catholic and Evangelical faith communities than others. Among those American Muslims who are not so orthodox, perhaps more people in the younger generation (not all, of course), there is likely less opposition and even happiness at the court ruling. That is my take as a non-Muslim.

I would guess that “activists” - following the trend demonstrated by the mainstream media and the political elite - will give mosques and the Muslim community a good leaving-alone. They need to save their energy for the inevitable anti-Catholic demonstrations.

Probably, in Islam the USA is already so terrible and godless that gay marriage doesn’t make a difference anymore. And I would agree, Europe and the US are godless countries and gay marriage is only a symptom.

Hypothetically, it appears that adherents of same sex marriage will go out of their way to find a Christian bakery for a contracted cake…
…Then raise Cain when the owners of the bakery politely decline the job because of their religious beliefs.
…I’ve not observed any news accounts of a soon to be married homosexual couple seeking to contract with a Halal shop for a catered meal.
…I’ve not observed any news accounts of a homosexual couple seeking to have their marriage conducted by a Imam.

I wonder why we are not seeing this in the news? Is it happening?

Come to think of it I’ve not observed a homosexual woman dressed like an Islamic man with her “wife” walking behind her either?

Could anyone cite an example of this sort of thing or is it absent?

The actual wedding ceremony is sometimes held in a mosque (particularly in the US), but it doesn’t have to be. And it’s usually done by an imam, but in Islamic tradition it can be done by anyone with an adequate understanding of Islamic practices (although some states would require it to be done by someone who is a recognized member of the clergy).
I expect that there is a range of different opinions in the American Muslim population regarding same-sex marriage, but I would guess that the majority tend more toward the traditional understanding and would view same-sex marriage as forbidden and/or nonsensical. If a Muslim couple sought a same-sex wedding in the US, they’d have to find an imam and a mosque who agreed with them if they wanted the ceremony conducted in that way, and I doubt that would be an easy task.

Because they’re cowards. Catholics don’t cut off heads. Jews don’t cut off heads. Hindus don’t cut off heads. Sikhs don’t cut off heads. Buddhists don’t cut off heads.

Muslims do, or more accurately the radicalized Wahhabist, Salafi and Islamist radicals within Islam have shown themselves capable of doing that and even worse brutalities. And that scares the living daylights out of them. No matter how tough it gets for Catholics and other mainstream religions, they won’t touch the Muslims because they are deathly afraid of being killed by the radicals.

They’ll hit us because we don’t hit back.

Well, there’s at least one imam in the US that I bet is celebrating. He’s performed gay marriages before & his mosque (which operates out of the Quaker worship-hall about a mile away from where I live) is called “gay-friendly.” Gay-marriage was legal in DC before the ruling, so I wonder if he had been vested by the District to legally bind couples.

washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/style/imam-daayiee-abdullah-welcomes-gay-muslims-to-worship-marry/2013/04/17/3ebcab3a-a5db-11e2-b029-8fb7e977ef71_story.html

So after the ruling Friday, what happens to the mosques, synagogues, churches and Mormon temples and churches who do not believe in same sex marriage?

That’s part of a much greater question, but if I must say, what is the state going to do: come into our churches and force to join two men in marriage? What can they do? I think the biggest problem that any religion like my own Church will face is that the state might threaten to take away the tax-exemption status away from any parish (or entire dioceses) that are open about their disagreement with gay-marriage. On the matter, I find myself agreeing with this article, written by an Eastern Catholic man, a friend of a friend. firstthings.com/web-exclusives/2010/07/an-independent-witness-to-marriage

Probably nothing. There are federal rules that protect religious institutions and clergy from performing weddings (or other ceremonies) that they find objectionable. Several states have similar laws, and language reinforcing this, to my knowledge, has been in the wording of ever legislation adopted by a state to allow same-sex marriages. So there are usually several levels of legal protection preventing churches, pastors, etc., from having to be involved with weddings they don’t agree with.

Think of it this way: after Loving v Virginia, were any pastors or churches who taught that interracial marriages were forbidden forced to perform them, or did any lose their tax exempt status for refusing? And how about religious sects that forbid members from marrying outside of their faith? To my knowledge, there hasn’t been a case of a church or any religious institution or clergy being forced to perform a ceremony the objected to, or where they have been successfully sued for refusing.

You can’t really compare this with the interracial issue, because the gay activists are a very different breed from the pious, church-going racial equality activists.

The gay activists do things for spite, like with the gay-wedding-cake controversy. That was a carefully planned and staged event, meant to “punish” anybody who thinks differently than them. And to instill fear. A sort of psychological terrorism.

However, everybody is pretty much afraid of the wrath of angry Muslim extremists, and they won’t dare to pull that carp on them.

Actually, it will be pretty interesting to watch the Muslim population in this country grow side-by-side with an ever-increasing gay activist presence.

There are so many ways this court decision could play out!

Even if true, none of that seems relevant to the point I was making.

Imam Daayiee Abdullah will perform same-sex marriages as will several others associated with Muslims for Progressive Values.

WASHINGTON – He’s been condemned by other Muslim leaders, and some local imams have even refused to greet him. But Imam Daayiee Abdullah – believed to be the only openly gay imam in the Americas – is proud of his story.

america.aljazeera.com/watch/shows/america-tonight/america-tonight-blog/2013/12/20/meet-america-s-firstopenlygayimam.html

Today, as America’s Muslim leaders debate controversial topics like political radicalism inside mosques and states’ attempts to ban Shariah law, this growing network of alternative mosques and Islamic groups is quietly forging a new spiritual movement.

They’re taking bold steps, reinterpreting Islamic norms and re-examining taboos. While far from accepted by mainstream clerics, these worshippers feel that the future of the religion lies not solely with tradition but with them. Women are leading congregations in prayer, gay imams are performing Islamic marriages, and men and women are praying side by side.

huffingtonpost.com/2012/03/29/progressive-muslims-launch-gay-friendly-women-led-mosques_n_1368460.html

I agree with the article, too, and think it’s the only way for the Church(s) to go for now.

Actually, the government could punish churches by levying fines, passing contradictory laws in order to double-bind them (lawbreaking if you do, lawbreaking if you don’t ), etc. I’ve known immigrants from communist or Moslem countries, and there are many ways to destroy a group the government doesn’t like, without actually making the group “illegal”.

The gay marriage crowd is till saying they “won’t force churches” to marry them. Yeah, sure.

I’m old enough to remember when the gay narrative was “please be kind to us and don’t be mean because we can’t help ourselves and you don’t understand what it’s like to be gay and do you think I would choose to be this way…”

How different the narrative is now…

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.