Islam, Christianity and the minor corruptions in the Bible

Often times we discuss Islam and Christianity and the major Theological differences between the two Religions; namely Jesus’s death, Resurrection and Divinity. However, the Bible being the corrupt book that it is has many minor corruptions that I think we need to address. Given that the Qur’an is the final revelation to man by Allah through his Prophet Muhammad, anything that contradicts this final Revelation found within the Gospel given to Jesus by Allah must be a corruption. Therefore I have decided to list some of my favourite minor corruptions and the intentions of the authors while corrupting what Jesus really must have taught. I am refraining from discussing any major disputes between the two Religions as they have been discussed at large many times before. Let’s go through a few:

Now according to Islam source 1 source 2 there will be wives in Heaven. Whether or not there will be two wives, 70 wives or 72 wives is up for debate but no doubt wives are present. Jesus, being the Prophet that he is then could have in no way answered the Jews in such a way that the Gospel describes:

*Mark 12:19 “Teacher,” they said, “Moses wrote for us that if a man’s brother dies and leaves a wife but no children, the man must marry the widow and raise up offspring for his brother. 20 Now there were seven brothers. The first one married and died without leaving any children. 21 The second one married the widow, but he also died, leaving no child. It was the same with the third. 22 In fact, none of the seven left any children. Last of all, the woman died too. 23 **At the resurrection whose wife will she be, since the seven were married to her?” ***

Now, one cannot argue how clever this question was. It was certainly a trap for Jesus with the Jews expecting that Jesus will be confused or unable to answer. Perhaps in Islam Jesus would have said something along the lines of, “They will all have each other’s wives. They will be given lots of wives, as many as one may wish.” Instead, Jesus throws a curveball:

*24 Jesus replied, “Are you not in error because you do not know the Scriptures or the power of God?25 When the dead rise, they will neither marry nor be given in marriage; they will be like the angels in heaven. 26 Now about the dead rising—have you not read in the Book of Moses, in the account of the burning bush, how God said to him, ‘I am the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob’[d]? 27 He is not the God of the dead, but of the living. You are badly mistaken!”

For some strange reason both Mark and Matthew used this corrupted saying by Jesus. I would assume that if one was to corrupt a teaching they would make it more appealing to worldly pleasures of sex and women, however Jesus goes a different route.

The next one I want to talk about is swearing on Allah. Let’s look at the Islamic teachings on oaths:

Sayyiduna Abd Allah ibn Umar (Allah be pleased with him) narrates that the Messenger of Allah (Allah bless him & give him peace) said: “He who takes an Oath, must not take an oath but by Allah.” (Sahih Muslim, no. 1646)
Sayyiduna Abd Allah ibn Umar (Allah be pleased with him) narrates that the Messenger of Allah (Allah bless him & give him peace) said: “He who takes an oath, must take it by Allah or remain quiet.” (Sahih al-Bukhari, no. 2533)
S’ad ibn Ubaidah (Allah be pleased with him) reports that once Abd Allah ibn Umar (Allah be pleased with him) heard a man take an oath by the Ka’ba, thus he said: “An oath should not be taken by other than Allah, for I have heard the Messenger of Allah (Allah bless him & give him peace) say: “Whosever takes an oath by other than Allah has indeed committed Shirk.” (Sunan Tirmizi, no. 1535 & Musnad Ahmad, 2/67)
source

Taking an oath on Allah is permitted in Islam, so my question again is why such a corruption is thrown into the Gospel:

Matthew 5:33 “Again you have heard that it was said to those of old, ‘You shall not swear falsely, but shall perform your oaths to the Lord.’ 34 But I say to you, do not swear at all: neither by heaven, for it is God’s throne; 35 nor by the earth, for it is His footstool; nor by Jerusalem, for it is the city of the great King. 36 Nor shall you swear by your head, because you cannot make one hair white or black.37 But let your ‘Yes’ be ‘Yes,’ and your ‘No,’ ‘No.’* For whatever is more than these is from the evil one.***

This is also backed up by Jesus’s brother James:
*5:12Above all, my brothers and sisters, do not swear–not by heaven or by earth or by anything else. All you need to say is a simple “Yes” or “No.” Otherwise you will be condemned.
Here we see Jesus is saying that anything other than simply saying you’ll get something done is from the evil one. Jesus condemns anyone who takes an oath, therefore this must be another corruption as it is permissible to swear on Allah in Islam. Why again that the corrupter chose to include this obvious corruption in the Gospel is questionable, but it’s there and backed up by James as well.

The final one is God swearing on things. If we look at the Old Testament we see how God makes oaths:

*Genesis 22:16
and said, "I swear by myself, declares the LORD, that because you have done this and have not withheld your son, your only son,

Isaiah 45:23
By myself I have sworn, my mouth has uttered in all integrity a word that will not be revoked: Before me every knee will bow; by me every tongue will swear.

Jeremiah 22:5
But if you do not obey these commands, declares the LORD, I swear by myself that this palace will become a ruin.’"*

In all of these instances God swears on Himself and nothing else, this is explained in the New Testament; the book of Hebrews:

6:13When God made his promise to Abraham,* since there was no one greater for him to swear by, he swore by himself,*14saying, “I will surely bless you and give you many descendants.”

However, the entirety of Christianity and Judaism showing God swearing on Himself must be a corruption because in the Qur’an there are multiple times Allah swears on something less than himself:

Qur’an 56:75 Then I swear by the setting of the stars
84:16So I swear by the twilight glow
69:38So I swear by what you see 39And what you do not see

There are hundreds of examples of Allah starting by making an oath on many different things. Angels, the sun, the earth, the moon, daybreak, the night, rain, wind, Mecca, by the pen, mountains, etc. Why Allah suddenly made a shift and felt it was equally valuable to swear on something other than himself only shows the corruption in the book of Hebrews and throughout the OT.

Please add some of your own.

I’ve never heard of an “evangelical” Muslim. What you are saying has no basis. Jesus proved that he is God, he established a Church, and he gave all of his divine authority to the apostles. And they, in turn, passed on their authority to their successors. The Qur’an is the book of errors since it denies the truth of the gospel that Jesus gave to the Church that he founded. Muhammad is a false prophet. His claim of being a prophet has no more basis than Joseph Smith or any other self-proclaimed “prophet” that denies the gospel of Jesus Christ. Nowhere was it ever mentioned in the Old Testament that Muhammad would come. The only prophecy that would fit him is one in the New Testament about the false prophets that were to come. Jesus proved with many miracles that he is God and is alive, but Muhammad did no miracles and is dead. Therefore, the gospel of Jesus is infinitely superior to Muhammad and the Qur’an.

I respect Muslims but false prophet is right.

The OP is satirical.

Muslims consider the Bible is corrupted in where it contradicts the Quran; that where there is contradiction,the Quran version is correct. dronald does well to point out those contradictions.

I like the swearing part.:wink: Maybe Mohammad missed this one and started swearing by many things other than his Allah. What a poetic gaffe by this final prophet.:rolleyes:

It’s a shame that you are unaware that whatever so called “corruption” there is in the Bible, there is equally, if not more “corruption” in the Hadiths, which is far far removed from the Word of God contained in the Quran…

Corruption is such a negative word. I prefer to call it “degrees of authenticity”

You cannot compare the “corrupt Bible accusation with hadiths”

Hadiths are the sayings of the prophet and his clan.

Apples & oranges…

I’m not, I’m saying the Hadiths are far less authentic than the Bible.

That’s my thoughts anyway.

But the Quran is more authentic than the Bible

That’s a pretty good bait. I am sure someone will bite but for me, I pass on this one for the moment. Been there and done that. Most of the time it will be your words against mine.:popcorn:

Rather than arguing on which is authentic or more authentic, why not keep to the topic of the thread of the OP. Can the contradiction by the Quran be explained? I mean by the Quran because it was meant to correct the earlier revealed scriptures.

Since none of the corruptions in the Bible have been addressed yet, nor the reasons the recorders of Jesus’s words would seek to corrupt what He really said, I thought I would add a couple more!

Matthew 19:3 And Pharisees came up to him and tested him by asking, "Is it lawful to divorce one’s wife for any cause? "

Jesus (the Prophet of Islam) replies:

6 So they are no longer two but one flesh. What therefore God has joined together, let not man separate. "

The reason this must be a corruption is that Allah is clear throughout the Quran:

[Quran 33:49]
O you who believe, if you married believing women, then divorced them before having intercourse with them, they do not owe you any waiting interim (before marrying another man). You shall compensate them equitably, and let them go amicably.
[2:236]
You commit no error by divorcing the women before touching them

And most shockingly:

[2:230]
If he divorces her (for the third time), it is unlawful for him to remarry her, unless she marries another man, then he divorces her. The first husband can then remarry her, so long as they observe GOD’s laws. These are GOD’s laws; He explains them for people who know.

It is rather odd that the corrupters of the Bible wouldn’t just state that divorce is no big deal, since that would be easier anyways. But rather for some reason they are very strict when making up Jesus’s words to state, “one wife in life.”

Speaking of marriage, we see one instance in which a man can have more than one wife:

Surah 4:3And if you fear that you will not deal justly with the orphan girls, then marry those that please you of [other] women, two or three or four. But if you fear that you will not be just, then [marry only] one or those your right hand possesses. That is more suitable that you may not incline [to injustice].

This Surah permits the marriage of orphans and, “whoever your right hand possesses” namely, slaves.

Now, let’s look at the corrupt words of Jesus…

Mark 10:7 'Therefore a man shall leave his father and mother and hold fast to his wife, 8 and the two shall become one flesh. ’ So they are no longer two but one flesh.

It’s interesting here that Jesus seems completely against polygamy when He uses the singular, “one man and one wife.” And then the two become one.

It’s strange that the corrupters wouldn’t just make Jesus’s words more appealing by allowing a man to have many wives and lots of sex. For whatever reason they chose the one man, one wife belief.

There is no contradiction in the Quran.

donald was quoting Hadiths…:shrug:

More authentic, but unconfirmed source.

I didn’t see any hadiths posted.

Please point out which of dronalds posts had hadiths…

None of the “source” links in the OP are from the Quran

source1 and source 2 are both Hadith, and the third link is some Q & A with some random Muslim guy…

Even the prophet who expressedly stated the maximum quota of four, violated God’s word by having 9 wives. Wow, you take one each day, by the end of the week you still have 2 unused spare.

Ahhhh… I see it now… I don’t know how I missed that on the first post of the thread.

There’s nothing wrong with using the Hadith in a discussion about Islam. I used both anyways, so the argument is a pretty weak one. Anyways, let’s look deeper into the Qur’an and Muhammad’s excessive number of wives. Again, contradicting Jesus:

33:50
O Prophet, indeed We have made lawful to you your wives to whom you have given their due compensation and those your right hand possesses from what Allah has returned to you [of captives] and the daughters of your paternal uncles and the daughters of your paternal aunts and the daughters of your maternal uncles and the daughters of your maternal aunts who emigrated with you and a believing woman if she gives herself to the Prophet [and] if the Prophet wishes to marry her, [this is] only for you, excluding the [other] believers. We certainly know what We have made obligatory upon them concerning their wives and those their right hands possess, [but this is for you] in order that there will be upon you no discomfort. And ever is Allah Forgiving and Merciful.

I will note that it’s hard to tell if this is really giving Muhammad permission to exceed other believers amounts of wives… I could go to the Hadith but apparently I’m not allowed to in a discussion about Islam.

I went back and read from the beginning of the thread.

Dronald **does **post from the Quran and since he is using Islamic sources for this information, there are hadiths thrown in there as well.

You should continue to post from the Quran and hadiths as well.

This is your thread!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.