Islam: Hafiz or Hafiza

Would any Muslim members of the forum please explain who or what a hafiz or hafiza is and why this is important?

Also, how is this title or honor achieved and/or verified?

Thanks.

Not a Muslim, but a Hafiz is a person who has memorized the entire Qur’an by heart and can recite it via chanting.

This is how the Qur’an was originally transmitted and taught among Muslims, until eventually it was written down.

Even today, Hafiz are revered in Islam.

That is how Sacred Tradition was transmitted within Christianity as well. Not sure why it is acceptable within Islam and yet many try to discredit Sacred Tradition under the notion that it just can’t be that accurate after all these years. :shrug:

Islam is a religion of violence that’s all you need to know :mad::mad::mad:

The problem is that many Hafiz these days do not have Arabic as a language that they really understand, To memorise the Qur’an is one thing but to understand and be able to contextualise it is quite another.

As they are living books, it is not their function to interpret or contextualise, only to accurately recite.

I understand the above posts, how does this relate…

hafizonlove.com/bio/

So they are not to study, understand or question what they say? Why am I not surprised?

Words have no real meaning if not understood.

I know the Qur’an was chanted as poetry and memorized word-for-word as it was recited by Muhammad to the early Muslims. I don’t know as much about the way early Christian Traditions and scriptures were passed on, would love to read more though.

Are there no Muslims in the forum to answer the OP? :shrug:

bump

I know a 9 year old girl who goes to my school (I’m a teacher) and she can recite the first few chapters of the Qur’an in Arabic… She speaks Urdu. She doesn’t know a word of what she’s saying.

There are some Hadiths about importance of being Hafiz. Forexample one of them: The most honourable of Muslims are the Hafizs.

Quran is directly speech of Allah. The speech of Allah has a moral effect on spirituality and enrich morality and faith.

Quran is the main source of Islamic knowledges. Some knowledges(in faith) are not being learnt by reading or listening. That knowledge come a person as morally. So if someone even does not understand what Quran tell exactly yet he can get many moral knowledge (moral force in faith) with reading Quran. Every Muslims can understand some terms in Quran and when he hear a word like that “rabbusamavat vel-ard” then he can take that meaning Allah is creator and Lord of universe, heavens, everything.

Hafiz intend to protect Quran so Quran save Hafiz as morally.

Memorizing Quran is one of miracle of Quran. There are very similar verses in Quran but even a kid can memorize entire Quran. That is a miracle.

Quran is the most holy part of Islam. So a Hafiz hold Quran in heart and take honour.

Thank you, hasantas.

As you probably know or can surmise, the Jewish people held their scriptures to be just as sacred as you hold the Quran. That’s reasonable, isn’t it?

And the early Christians treasured the writings which we know today as the New Testament, didn’t they?

So, just as the Quran and the Hebrew scriptures were memorized by people who honored God in that way, so the writings of the New Testament have been cherished and memorized by Christians.

Here’s my question for you, hasantas: If Christians memorized the gospels and other books of the New Testament in the same way that Muslims and Jews have memorized their holy books, how is it that the corruptions of the Bible alleged by followers of Islam have taken place?

Anyone who had the scriptures memorized who instantly know that a text had been altered, wouldn’t they? :shrug:

Candidly I have not any proof for that Gospels were corrupted. But the case of Quran and Bible is very apart. If you look at Quran you will see that all speechs are directly from Allah. Prophet Muhammed did not say in that way: God said that He is the creator of everything but instead it is said “I am the creator of everything” in Quran etc. So prophet Muhammed was merely a mediator. And Quran was being written just during revelation came. Later the verses were compiled in a book.

In Bible writers of Gospels wrote what they saw(Mathew and John) from Jesus or what they heard from others about Jesus. It is like that “Jesus went there and said this etc”. Islam does not verify Jesus to be Son of God. Even let’s assume Jesus to be God. Yet the Gospels are not to be directly speechs of Jesus. Gospels were written for about 60-90 years after Jesus. Writers wrote what they remembered so there should be very changes in revelation. Also we have not the originals Gospels in their originals languages. There had used to be more than 4 Gospels but later these numbers was reduced to 4(Mathew, Mark, Luke, John).

hasantas - If you look at the Qur’an you will not ‘see’ that it comes from ‘Allah’, you may of course choose to ‘believe’ that it is the case,

The reality is that even Muslim Islamic scholars have to admit there are great differences in quotes and numbers of Suras in the four earliest known Qur’ans. There are also overwritten passages and phrases. The earliest texts were not in Arabic, as that came later, and there appears to have been some mistranslation. So it seems that ‘Allah’ makes mistakes, much like we humans, might I be so bold as to suggest?

Mount Carmel: Can you give us some specifics?

Also, does anyone know if there are people who have memorized the Bible, similar to what muslims have done with the Quran? Or memorized anything similar to the size of the Quran.

How do you know? Just curious.

Not chanting its holy texts is actually pretty unique to Christianity. Perhaps the early Muslims continued the Jewish custom of chanting theirs.

I think the reason we know is that, from the very earliest period of Islamic history, there is evidence of a debate as to whether the Koran should be recited musically. Some opposed it on the grounds that, as music, it was a vice, while others made a distinction between music and recitation. The practice must have existed for it to be debated.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.