Islam--Homosexual Relations Only gay if love is involved?

I had a friend that returned from Iraq. He has spent roughly 20 years between the Navy
then being transferred to serve in Army units as a prison guard in Iraq.

He had told me that, Islam, accepts gay sex, but does not consider it gay,
unless the two men (or more) , express love for one another.

Essentially , you can have man on man sex, and its not gay, unless you say
“I love you” ect.

Does anyone know, details, or truth behind any of this ?

Thanks

I would tread very lightly here if I were you. This is potentially a very inflammatory thread based upon nothing more than your friend’s statement. What are you hoping to accomplish?

Well. It was an honest conversation starter. The conversation came up , based off of 

Mahmoud Ahmadinejad statements a few years ago. When he stated that Homosexuality does not exist in Iran. This " Phenomenon" as referred to.
When I had been talking to my friend who returned from Iraq.

I had been under the influence that radical groups like Al-quda or ISIS have such
“Biblical” rules for living. But if this was in fact a true cultural teaching, then it would seem that many of the radical Islamist make the rules fit their life styles. Is what I am trying to convey.

Such that, Under Sharia Law, woman are stoned to death for adultery. Then is is true that homosexual relations are okay, if it is purely physical ? Is, there a double standard in the radical culture that exist.
Just wanted to know , if anyone else has heard about this, or has any first hand experience. ie… having lived in the culture as a soldier or citizen

I was born/raised muslim. This is utterly false.

Thank you. I have a few Muslim friends at school.
But, I had never asked them.

At the risk of being indelicate, there is a viral video making the rounds where a Islamic cleric allegedly (and I say allegedly because he’s not speaking in English) claims that sodomy in the service of jihad is acceptable.

Okay… So what I had heard, was an already established rumor then
not doctorine then. Thanks

Well, the argument offered by the guy was that jihad is the highest calling in life (which is doctrinal), and so anything in the service of jihad is okay.

The video comes from MEMRI T.V.

Probably stems from the practice of fun boys or tea boys…
…An unfortunate practice found within the culture.

That is very false!!!

Quran damn such thing.

1. We also (sent) Lüt: He said to his people: "Do ye commit lewdness such as no people in creation (ever) committed before you?

2. “For ye practice your lusts on men in preference to women : ye are indeed a people transgressing beyond bounds.”

3. And his people gave no answer but this: they said, “Drive them out of your city: these are indeed men who want to be clean and pure!”

4. But we saved him and his family, except his wife: she was of those who legged behind.

5. And we rained down on them a shower (of brimstone): Then see what was the end of those who indulged in sin and crime! ( A’râf(Heights) 80-84)

Found within some cultures in nations with Muslim majorities, homosexuality has been quietly tolerated so as long as it was kept behind closed doors or discreet in many lands. There is no absolute overall Muslim culture anymore than we could say the same about nations which have historically been Christian.

Sounds like a human issue not exclusive to Islam.

Exactly my point.

I can say, at least, in the Desert Storm era in both Afghanistan & Iraq this was common…
…Only difference being that the Muslims who were friendly to what the U.S. was doing.
…Treated their fun boys ( that’s what they called them back then ) better than the devout or fundamental Muslims did.

What we were told was that homosexuality is identified as an act between two men…
…And because a boy wasn’t a man it was halal - until the voice deepened and a beard appears.

Hi hasantas, I’m trying to figure this out and had a question. Doesn’t the Quran forbid such things as burning people alive / beheading people who are of a different religion just because of that and many other things as well?

What this appears to be is that the majority of the worlds Muslims are live and let live - they want the same good things for society and their families as everyone else does.

This leaves a minority of hard-core by the book Muslims that used to be called “Fundamental Muslims” - this was then changed to “Fundamentalists” to “Islamic Militants” to Jihadists, etc, etc.

Every religion has those individuals who are “by the book” or “hard core” or what we call in America as “Devout” ( i.e. they do everything by the book ). In the Church I attend there are probably 20% or so that attend EVERY MASS, and attend every religious function associated with the Church that there is - these people ARE hard core - many I understand don’t have t.v.'s , wear make up, etc.

Is it possible that the Muslims groups who perform the acts the world for the most part does not agree with are just Devout Muslims? I’ve watched several interviews of supposed terrorists and they don’t strike me as terrorists at all - simply Devout Muslims who are following their religion as best they can.

Anyway could you shed any light on this?

I have never heard that this was a teaching of Islam. I think mainline Islamic teaching is inline with mainline jewish and christian teaching in that it is wrong (no qualifiers). Although I know there are small amount of christians/churches who probably who do not agree with their church’s teaching on homosexuality.

I heard the same rumor when I was overseas, but I considered the source and dismissed it. Sometimes anger and frustration leads people to repeat nasty rumors. I would not ask this question of your Muslim friends. It would be like someone asking one of us Catholics if we are cannibals.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.