Islam or christianity which is true and why do you believe it is

The Koran and Bible are religious books that have completely opposite narratives about the death of Jesus.

In the Koran an impostor died on the cross

4:157 And [for] their saying, “Indeed, we have killed the Messiah, Jesus, the son of Mary, the messenger of Allah .” And they did not kill him, nor did they crucify him; but [another] was made to resemble him to them. And indeed, those who differ over it are in doubt about it. They have no knowledge of it except the following of assumption. And they did not kill him, for certain.

in the bible Jesus died and was resurrected and paul says

1 Corinthians 15:14 and if Christ has not been raised, then our preaching is vain, your faith also is vain.

now i assume most of us here are christian and should believe the bible but i see a lot of posters defending Islam. i really wonder why when one has to be false.

maybe i am missing something. so i have two questions.

1. if you believe the Koran is true, is the bible false or is there an answer for the contradiction
  2. if you believe the bible is true why do you defend Islam in light of the apparent conflicting passages

thanks

1 Like

Honestly that’s the beauty of the first amendment. Here in the US you can believe in anything you want, and in any higher power, or lack thereof. Freedom is a beautiful thing. Now I need to go watch Braveheart :slight_smile:

6 Likes

The weird thing is, the Koran doesn’t actually say the Bible is false. https://www.catholic.com/magazine/online-edition/does-the-quran-teach-that-the-bible-was-corrupted-over-time

The Quran was written 700 years after the fact. I’ll take the eye witness accounts of the Gospel.

9 Likes

NO OTHER PERSON in history claimed to be God but Jesus Christ. All other religions are based on men who claimed to know God or receive revelations from God but ONLY JESUS claimed to BE GOD and perform miracles to prove He is God. All other Christian churches were established by men after the Catholic Church which was established by JESUS CHRIST Himself. That’s why I believe Christianity and the Catholic Church are true and why I believe it is.

7 Likes

Excellent. I’d also add that all other religions are false. They may contain elements of the truth but they are false. Vatican II affirmed the truth in Islam in the form of their monotheism but it is important to highlight that Islam is essentially anti-Christ. It is anti-Christ because it denies that God became flesh and denies that the God-Man died for the salvation of many.

4 Likes

I believe that how the two religions have historically operated, and the types of societies the two have created, is enough to show that one is of God and the other isn’t.

Beyond that, as another poster has pointed out, the Quoran was written 700 years after the Crucifixion, and yet it purports to know more about it than the people who witnessed it and wrote about a mere 30-40 years after its occurrence? There’s also the fact that there is no supernatural evidence to support Mohommad’s claims, coupled with the fact that the Quoran has been repeatedly altered throughout history… no, that book is far from a reliable source of information.

Jesus claimed to be God, and He backed that claim up with miracles the likes of which the world had never seen, culminating in his literal resurrection from the dead. He healed people, encouraged treating each person as your brother or sister, and sought to lift up the poor and lowly. The NT letters are written to people with names and places, more than enough to have been verifiable at the time of writing, and even actively encourage the reader to seek out specific individuals and places to find out the answer for themselves.

Mohammad, on the other hand, claimed to be a messenger of God and back it up by… rejecting three quarters of the moral law; murdering countless numbers of people who wouldn’t submit to his rule, established the use of rape as an acceptable punishment for not being Muslim, and basically engaged in every sin of the flesh imaginable.

So… yeah… when you look at the two of them side by side, it’s pretty easy to see which one has the better claim to being from the Lord.

8 Likes

Also WHAT OTHER RELIGION but Christianity had a man willingly, freely, lovingly accept torture, abuse and death for those who didn’t even fully know, love or serve Him so that THEY(ALL PEOPLE) could one day attain eternal happiness and peace— AND forgive TOTALLY those who did this to Him? NONE but Christianity and no one but Jesus Christ.

8 Likes

Yes, Islam is basically a Christian heresy arising centuries after Christ established his Church.

2 Likes

Many people don’t know the fact you shared with us. I believe Hilaire Belloc wrote about this many moons ago. Muhammad was a power hungry cult leader who fashioned his own religion that he used to enrich and empower himself. His words on Christ our Lord were inspired by the Evil One.

3 Likes

Jesus warned there would be false prophets. Mohammad was born around 600 years after Jesus, and he rewrote what he heard of the Bible (He was illiterate) and other pagan myths into the Koran/Qur’an and replaced Jesus with himself as the main character. He also stated in the Koran/Qur’an that Mary the mother of Jesus was Moses’ sister.

One of the 100 names of Mohammad’s allah in the Koran/Qur’an is “the great deceiver.” In the Bible, Jesus called satan a liar from the beginning. Mohammad’s allah said that “God has no son,” which is inscribed on the golden dome of the mosque on the Temple Mount in Jerusalem. Hmm.

3 Likes

Do you believe in history?

Braveheart yet again:

“I shall tell you of William Wallace. Historians from England will say I am a liar, but history is written by those who have hanged heroes.”

That’s why it is god to always have a bit of skepticism, because I’m fairly sure every religion thinks theirs is truth and the others are wrong. That’s what leads to so much conflict, so much strife in the world even today’s world.

As I understand it, by virtue of essentially coming from humans in the image of God, there are elements of truth in Islam. The solid commitment to prayer, and charity, is greatly laudable and I can’t see why anyone would object to them. Do the Muslims have the fullness of Truth? Not even close, but that doesn’t mean I can’t appreciate and praise what they do that is right.
Do all Christians, or even all Catholics get everything right? Emphatically not. We are greatly flawed people. But that is exactly what convinces me that Christianity is true - it’s anthropology. To see humans as creations in the image of God, destined for greatness but deeply flawed and skewed to the dark side in most cases is absolutely true in my experience.

Islam denies the Trinity. It declares God had no Son, and that Jesus is a prophet of Islam. The Koran/Qur’an and Sunnah tell husbands they can beat their wives and will not be questioned about it. Islam says mothers and fathers and grandparents can and have an obligation to kill their offspring for leaving Islam and for rebelling against Islam. Islam teaches that non-Muslims are “the worst of creatures” and can be abused, robbed, raped, murdered, etc. and not be held guilty under Sharia Law (which enforces Islam). Islam teaches that the ONLY way for Muslims to go straight to (a sexual) paradise is to die in violent jihad against non-Muslims.

6 Likes

i don’t think that is what anyone objects to. it is the rest of the story that can be deadly, especially for your soul!

No indeed. I have no dispute that Islam is a great error, and as others have said too, will lead to destruction. But the initial question asked why someone would defend Islam and I suggested that those elements I have mentioned might be part of the reason. Not enough to save a soul, most definitely. But I can certainly see why a human in search of God might be fooled by it.

The Catholic church does NOT deny the oneness of God, it professes the Holy Trinity (three in one). The Bible says were are all equal in the eyes of God (St. Paul said men and women are co-heirs to the kingdom of God). The Bible says not to spoil children, but it also admonishes father not to be harsh with their children. The Isrealites were chosen to preserve the true faith in God until Jesus, so it was their special mission (An Israelite could leave and go live as a pagan, but not in the land God gave them). The New Testament says that no thieves, fornicators, etc. will enter the kingdom of God (believer or not).

No, read the Reliance of the Traveler, which is the classic book of Sharia law. If a non-Muslim even offends a Muslim, the non-Muslim can be killed, but a Muslim is not prosecuted for crimes done to non-Muslims. ISIS and the like are only following Sharia Law.

Islam teaches that a martyr is someone who dies in violent jihad and goes straight to a sexual paradise where they get 72 virgins (Hunta) to deflower for all eternity.

Catholics who are killed for the faith are the victims of hatred for God, not because they are murdering non-Catholics. It’s not the same.

2 Likes

I returned to Christianity (specifically Catholicism) two years ago because I was invited to Mass (the first time I had gone to a Mass that wasn’t Christmas or Easter in a long time). I remain so today for several reasons.

Firstly, I have been won over by the philosophy of people such as Thomas Aquinas, and believe his five proofs adequately prove the existence of a higher being in general.

Secondly, I’m still heavily influenced by being raised Catholic. I can’t lie about how influential that is to my present condition.

Thirdly, history is “on the side” of Christianity. I might be wrong, but I believe Islam claims that there was some sort of apostasy that took place early in Christian history that made it necessary for someone like Muhammad to come along. There’s simply no historical evidence for it. Aside from that, Islam either relies heavily on the gnostic gospels or simply on their own “version” of Christian Scripture as we know it, which is at odds with what we have today (not to mention what the first Christians used).

1 Like

Galatians 1:7-9

7 not that there is another gospel, but there are some who are confusing you and want to pervert the gospel of Christ. 8 But even if we or an angel[a] from heaven should proclaim to you a gospel contrary to what we proclaimed to you, let that one be accursed! 9 As we have said before, so now I repeat, if anyone proclaims to you a gospel contrary to what you received, let that one be accursed!

one reason for me. Mohamed received his gospel from an angel. For me it’s not good news it’s fake news

2 Likes
DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.