Islam vs Nation of Islam

Is the Nation of Islam an African American racist sect or offshoot of Islam? I know they think white people are devils, but I don’t think that mainstream Islam believes that.

Most of my Muslim colleagues and correspondents tend to treat the Nation of Islam as an invalid rendition of their faith.

What you might call a heresy if you will.

Its really a syncretic belief system that tends to borrow all over the place - Christianity, Islam, a little bit from speculative ideas imbibed by W.D. Fard.

There is a very…political slant to the manner of their beliefs and theological musings though.

[quote="aball1035, post:1, topic:307074"]
Is the Nation of Islam an African American racist sect or offshoot of Islam? I know they think white people are devils, but I don't think that mainstream Islam believes that.

[/quote]

Essentially, yes. From my understanding Nation of Islam is primarily black nationalism and supremacism. I cannot speak on fundamental beliefs but the group is not considered as part of the Muslim mainstream and many of its leaders and members have expressed very racist views. Islam does not distinguish between races and in fact includes people of all ethnicities and colours.

From what I of NOI and of Islam, NOI is both a racist sect and the closes to a cult that Islam has. :smiley: :shrug:

[quote=aball1035] Is the Nation of Islam an African American racist sect or offshoot of Islam? I know they think white people are devils, but I don’t think that mainstream Islam believes that.
[/quote]

It is an offshoot, of Black nationalist made at Europeans/Christians for the slave trade of Africans to the Americas. While they believe sort of in the five pillars since the Haj, the five daily prayers or the Ramadan fast is not compulsary, most members being American many believe they are not true Muslims. Think of it like Christians who are not baptized under the trinity.

They also believe that W Faud Muhammed is the Jewish Messiah and the Muslim Madhi.

I should disclose my brother is a Minister Muhammed for the Nation of Islam.

Posted from Catholic.com App for Android

Muslims in Saudi Arabia consider it as a heretic sect.

A very racist and hateful organisation.

In what way are they heretical? (I would have assumed that NOI are indeed heretical) But what I want to really ask is how is it different from Sunni vs Shiite? Isn’t it true that Sunni’s consider Shiite’s a heretical sect?

MJ

Sunnis consider any sect other than them as a heretical sect, they have many reasons for that, on the other side you would hear similar arguments from the Shiites, at the end both are heretical because they deny JESUS crucifixion.

I understand now! :smiley:

Thanks Sam:blessyou:

Sunnis and Shiite muslims view Nation of Islam similar to the way catholics and protestants view Jehovahs Witnesses: a sad and misguided attempt to reinvent a religion in a manner NOT inspired by God.

[quote="Sam_777, post:9, topic:307074"]
Sunnis consider any sect other than them as a heretical sect, they have many reasons for that, on the other side you would hear similar arguments from the Shiites, at the end both are heretical because they deny JESUS crucifixion.

[/quote]

Amen, that is it in a nutshell!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.