Islamic group gets OK to cut crosses off former Catholic church in NY despite landmark status

SYRACUSE, N.Y. — A city board on Thursday gave a Muslim group the go-ahead to remove six crosses from the roof and spires of a century-old former Catholic church so the now-vacant Gothic structure can be used as a mosque.

More than 200 people had signed an online petition calling on the Syracuse Landmark Preservation Board to deny an application by North Side Learning Center, the church’s new owner, to remove the crosses and build a six-foot chain-link fence.

Before the vote to allow the church alterations, Chairman Don Radke said the board cannot interfere with a decision that involves religious freedom.

startribune.com/lifestyle/253763761.html

This is why it should have never been sold or abandoned.

What will they do with the crosses? :confused: :frowning: :mad:

Yusuf Soule, the center’s director, has been the public point-person for the mosque effort. He said the crosses must be removed because the Islamic faith prohibits worship of idols and symbols.

For real? :doh2:

Taqiyya.

Break them up for shrapnel.

Why the fuss?
The Church sold the building so it is no longer a Catholic Church.
The people who bought it went through the proper channels to make the change and the request was granted.
I don’t see the problem.

I do see a problem with the comment about turning the removed crosses into “shrapnel”.
Even if meant “tongue-in-cheek” it is in poor taste and less than an “Agape” reaction.

I also see why people in the area - long time residents and former parishioners - would be disappointed at having the landmark altered.

Peace
James

The selling of this church is already being discussed on another thread

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.