Islamic leader: Judaism and Christianity also have sparked violence [CC]

At an inter-religious conference on combatting extremism, the Imam of Egypt’s Al Azhar University reminded participants that Islam is not the only religious faith that has been associated with violence.

More…

Same old argument by the Muslims that doesn’t stand up to examination.

Christians and Jews do not have it in their doctrine to hunt down and kill all other humans who do not subscribe to the Christian or Jewish faith, respectively. We also don’t declare that all people who do not subscribe to our faith are by default damned.

In the doctrine of Islam, all governments that do not rule by Shariah law are invalid. All people who are not Muslim are damned. And when the Muslims are in a position of power or authority, they are REQUIRED by their faith to wage Jihad on the non-Muslim world, either converting it by coercion, violence, and rape, or killing those who do not submit.

There is no comparison.

Actually, traditional Islamic teachings have said that Christians and Jews can go to heaven, provided that they have lived a good life and have striven to follow God.

Although I agree, there is no comparison between Islam and Christianity/Judaism. Though Christians and Jews have been guilty of some violence, it is not to the level of violence perpetrated in the name of Islam, particularly in modern times.

This may be true, but it doesn’t stop Muslims from killing Christians and Jews who refuse to convert.

Are you saying all Muslims or a specific Sect of Muslims that believe in Sharia Law ?

I refer to Muslims who faithfully adhere to the Islamic faith. Muslims who do not faithfully adhere to Sharia law are Muslims who do not adhere to the whole of their faith, much like Catholics who don’t believe the Real Presence or some other foundational doctrine.

Yep, even the Falcon’s fans were very associated with violence…

He forgot to say who started it…

Al Jazeera Arabic Poll - 81% of Muslims surveyed (2015) support Islamic State ideology.
aljazeera.net/votes/pages?voteid=5270

The problem is not radical Islam. The problem is Islam.

The difficulty stems from its most basic principle: if Muhammad did it it is an acceptable thing to do. This is why an Islamic professor at Georgetown can publicly support slavery, and even the possession of sex slaves. It’s what “the prophet” did so it’s all good.

The other side of this is equally disturbing: having so little confidence that your own standard is true a person is unwilling to condemn even the most egregious wrongs. Even as one Georgetown professor was supporting sex slaves the administration was in the process of renaming two buildings because their namesakes had some association with…slavery. Clearly “the problem” doesn’t lie with Islam alone.

Ender

:thumbsup:

So what do you call the Muslims who believe that Sharia Word came from God but interpreted by Man and subject to error. I think you have to be careful to paint Muslims with a broad brush.

I don’t “call” Muslims anything, nor am I interested in letting you drag me into the discussion of how exactly we can classify individual people.

My points in this thread refer specifically to the doctrine of the Islamic religion/government system/way of life and those people who adhere to that doctrine.

Yes, I agree with this, but you made the claim that Islamic doctrine dictates that all non-Muslims are automatically damned, and I simply refuted that.

The problem is not radical Islam. The problem is Islam.

The difficulty stems from its most basic principle: if Muhammad did it it is an acceptable thing to do. This is why an Islamic professor at Georgetown can publicly support slavery, and even the possession of sex slaves. It’s what “the prophet” did so it’s all good.

The other side of this is equally disturbing: having so little confidence that your own standard is true a person is unwilling to condemn even the most egregious wrongs. Even as one Georgetown professor was supporting sex slaves the administration was in the process of renaming two buildings because their namesakes had some association with…slavery. Clearly “the problem” doesn’t lie with Islam alone.

Who is this professor? I don’t doubt you at all, but I would be interested in reading what he said.

Look at history:

Why We Are Afraid, A 1400 Year Secret

Well, I’m willing to take you at your word on this, though now that we’re talking about it I’m curious to see the source material on this.

My understanding has been in part influenced by seeing videos of Imams on the news and on the streets condemning Christian people, saying they are automatically doomed to Hell if they don’t convert. I wonder what doctrine they are referring to.

Convert, pay tax, or die, Islamic State warns Christians

** Islamist insurgents have issued an ultimatum to northern Iraq’s dwindling Christian population to either convert to Islam, pay a religious levy or face death, according to a statement distributed in the militant-controlled city of Mosul.

Oh good grief.

What irritates, frustrates and angers me, is when anyone disagrees with Islam as a doctrine people often take this as an attack against individual Muslims.

It is not an attack. It is very possible to disagree with Islam and not harbor hatred against individual Muslims. If I agreed 100% with Islam, guess what, I’d be Muslim.

You are Stereotyping

I doubt it.

Societies which are based on Islam will look different from Societies are based on the principles of Christianity or secularism.

No stereotyping here as we are talking about populations as a whole not about specific individuals.

In what way can you support that assertion?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.