Islamic Prophecy

Prophecy is the history of possible futures, passing like movie previews through the minds of seers who may feel either blessed or cursed by their visions. Westerners have been saturated for two millenia with Judaeo-Christian visions of apocalypse, to the exclusion of any consideration for other opinions such as those of the Moslems.

Islam has produced many prophecies concerning the end of this cycle of civilization. Some of them obviously derive from Biblical sources, while others are quite original and intriguing warnings of Fitnah (Tribulation) and Qiyamah (Judgment Day).

The Holy Prophet Mohammed (Peace Be Upon Him: PBUH) made this general prophecy about the present state of affairs, recorded in the Mudkhal by Ibn-al-Hajj:

“The Holy Prophet (PBUH) said, 'Prayers will be neglected, carnal desires will be pursued, transgressors will become leaders, it will not be possible to distinguish the faithful from the false, telling lies will become desirable, payment of Zakah will be taken as a burden, the believer will be deemed the most disgraceful and he will be pained at seeing evils all around and his heart will melt as salt in water but he will not be able to say anything. Rain will do no good; it will fall out of season. Males will commit adultery with males, and females with females. Women will dominate. The offspring will disobey their parents, friend will treat his friend badly, sins will be taken lightly. Mosques will have external decorations and beauty and there will be worshippers too but there will be hypocrisy and mutual enmity in their hearts. Then will appear a people from the West who will dominate the weak among my people. People will produce copies of the Holy Quran in letters of gold but will not act upon it. The Quran will be recited in a melodious way. Usury will become rampant. Human blood will have no value, religion will have no helpers. Singing women will be on the increase. The rich will perform the Hajjas as a pastime, the people of the middle class will do so to conduct business and the poor to beg for charity.”

Jesus also prophesied that their would be false prophets who would come and lead people astray. Muhammed fits the bill nicely.

This is not prophecy. This is a prediction. It’s completely different to prophecy… And in my opinion, plenty of people have made such predictions throughout history. They really aren’t that profound.

Prophecy is writing down the details of an event before the event actually happens.

See the following thread for some examples of prophecy…
forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?p=1561191&mode=linear#post1561191

What is the OP a quote from? The only place I can find this is here: viewzone.com/moslemprophecy.html It’s not well-documented. This sounds like a modern-day fabrication to me. In any event, there is nothing shocking in this “prophecy”, that would indicate it could have come from no one other than a Prophet of God. Even more than that, there are some obvious cultural insertions into this supposed message from God, spoken by Muhammed. You really expect me to believe that God would send the message that “Singing women will be on the increase”?

mondovista.com/moslemprophecy.html This was the site

So what do you make of it? In light of those words, what are you supposed to do?

Exactly, for I can ‘prophecise’ that

“They’ll be wars in the future”

Will this *insight *prove I’ve a message from God?

That is the same page that I referred to. I can’t find reference to it in any document. What document is this prophecy posted on the internet supposed to have been a quote from?

The Qur’an has a prophecy which is found in no other scripture.

It concerns the preservation of the body of the Pharoah of the Exodus who drowned when going after Moses (pbuh) and the Israelites.

010.090-92
We took the Children of Israel across the sea: Pharaoh and his hosts followed them in insolence and spite. At length, when overwhelmed with the flood, he said: “I believe that there is no god except Him Whom the Children of Israel believe in: I am of those who submit (to Allah in Islam).”
(It was said to him): "Ah now!- But a little while before, wast thou in rebellion!- and thou didst mischief (and violence)!
“This day shall We save thee in the body, that thou mayest be a sign to those who come after thee! but verily, many among mankind are heedless of Our Signs!”

For centuries his body was presumed lost but in 1898, his mummy was found thus confirming the truth of the Qur’anic prophecy.

touregypt.net/featurestories/merenptah.htm

Muhammed predicted that seven months after the fall of Constantinople, the anti-Christ would appear and the end of the world would immediately follow.

Accordingly, Muslims conquered Jerusalem in 636 AD. Constantinople was taken over by Muslims in May 1453 AD. Yet the prophecy regarding Yathrib (Medina) being in ruins and Antichrist’s advent to take place seven months after the conquest of Constantinople did not materialize. Based on the preceding traditions Antichrist was to appear in November 1453.

More false predictions of Muhammed:

answering-islam.de/Main/Shamoun/false_prophecies.htm

There have been many mummies found in Egypt. I don’t think it should be surprising that someone should guess that an Egyptian’s body would be preserved for centuries, considering that he knew about the mummification process whose exact purpose was to preserve bodies for centuries.

There is great detail about the preservation techniques used by ancient Egyptians to ensure that a body was preserved for eternity here:

carnegiemnh.org/exhibits/egypt/guide.htm

I guess the next link you are going to offer is the link that shows us the remains of Jesus! Or maybe the “Gospel of Judas”.

We don’t all believe what we read, like a lot of our muslim friends!

We see with the eyes of our faith that has stood solid for over 2000 years now.

How can you be sure that the Pharaoh in the Koran is the same Pharaoh whose corpse was found centuries later? Which verse in the Islamic scripture tells you - or enables you to infer - the exact identity of the Pharaoh of the Exodus?

According to the Koran, there was only one Pharaoh throughout the Egyptian history, and that single Pharaoh lived at Moses’ time. This is but an outstanding historical error in Mohammed’s Bible, which some Muslim scholars claim to be a miraculous historic detail!

Actually, the only verse relating Pharaoh’s supposed last words and belated conversion (!) in the Koran uncannily uses the Arabic word “nunacciyka”, which means save! The same verb is used in the 103. verse of the same surah while referring to the salvation of prophets and believers! More, the verse does not promise the preservation of Pharaoh’s body - as one would expect with regard to the mummy’s state - , but vaguely predicts that Pharaoh (person) will be saved in his body, which makes no sense to most readers due to such a weird sentence structure.

Finally, what sign convinces the readers of the Islamic Scripture today that Pharaoh really regretted his evil deeds and tried turning to Islam just before breathing his last??? Did the archealogists find a cassette of his final speech next to the mummy?

Peace,
Angelos N.

Even by Moslem standards, this is not a prediction for our time at all! It’s saying that he was saved so that others alive at his time might know that al-Lah. Thus those around him at that time, might know him. Such as his successors. All his successors have now passed on.

Else why have a ‘sign’ that disappears for 2,000 years if it’s meant to be something to draw people to your god? Sounds like al-Lah the magician again

"Merneptah had to carry out several campaigns during his reign, mainly fighting against the Libyans, who – with the assistance of the Sea Peoples – were threatening Egypt from the West. In the fifth year of his reign, Merneptah fought a victorious six-hour battle against a combined Libyan and Sea People force at the city of Perire, probably located on the western edge of the Delta. His account of this campaign against the Sea Peoples and Libu is described in prose on a wall beside the sixth pylon at Karnak and in poetic form in the Merneptah Stele, widely known as the Israel Stele, which makes reference to the supposed utter destruction of Israel during a prior campaign in Canaan: “Israel has been wiped out…it’s seed is no more.” **This is the only undisputedly recognised ancient Egyptian reference to Israel.**The stele is also the first explicit written record of the existence of the Ancient Israelites in this region"
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Merenptah

Note it’s to do with him attack Israel, not the fleeing Israelites.

Thus
"The Merneptah Stele (1208) mentions “Israel” by name as already in Canaan, so it seems unlikely if Ramesses’s son Merneptah I or any Pharaoh afterward is the Pharaoh of the Exodus."
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Exodus#Who_is_the_anonymous_Pharaoh.3F

Considering the manner in which how he was killed, no one knew or even expected that the body of the Pharoah would be preserved intact.

Like I said, this prophecy of the preservation of the Pharoah’s body is found only in the Qur’an and nowhere else – not in the Bible and not in the Torah.

As I stressed in my previous post, there is no prediction of bodily preservation in the Koran, but only that of Pharaoh’s salvation in his body (denying his death?). These are two different notions! :rolleyes:

But the problem is you’re assuming that this particular pharoah is the one who is in Exodus/the Koran!

So your Koran predicts that they will find a preserved Pharoah. When they find him, let me know.

They never found his mummy, since it is uncertain which Pharoah was ruling at te time. And what;kind of sign is a lost mummy?? BTW, the article you link to expressly states that the mummy proves that he was NOT the pharoah of exodus.

How do we know that the mummy dicovered was that of Pharoah of the Exodus??

Read the link which I provided, particularly the following excerpt:

**Merenptah’s tomb is number KV 8 located in the Valley of the Kings on the West Bank of Luxor (ancient Thebes). The king probably died around 1202 BC, but his mummy was not found within his tomb. In the 19th century, this apparently added to the speculation about him being the Pharaoh of the Exodus, since that king’s body would have probably been washed away in the Red Sea. However, that theory was confounded when, in 1898, his mummy was discovered among 18 others in the mummy cache discovered in the tomb of Amenhotep II (KV 35). **

In think it would be best that we leave the identification of the mummy to the experts.

If these scientists say that this is indeed the body of the said Pharoah, then is there a reason why we should dispute their conclusion?

I realize I am supposed to be amazed by this, but I just don’t see what the big deal is. So, they found a mummy and Muslims are claiming it is a Pharaoh that Muhammed spoke about? I’m just not awed by the discovery of a preserved mummy. It’s pretty commonplace. But that’s great for you if it strengthens your faith. This story just doesn’t have any meaning for me. This seems like something that is being twisted to fit your expectation of what would happen. I’m more interested in the very clear errors of prediction that Muhammed made that I posted about earlier and was ignored.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.