Islamic State adopts Assad's methods of torture

This is all interesting, we know how evil ISIS is, these few stories if true, are alarming about Assad:

Islamic State adopts Assad’s methods of torture

Exclusive: Prisons run by Islamic State jihadists in Syria are using the same inhumane punishments as those run by the Assad government, victims of both regimes tell The Telegraph

In Syria, the torturers change but the tortures remain the same.

Prisons run by Islamic State jihadists are using the same gamut of punishments on their victims as those run before them by the Assad regime.

The tortures employed are so well known to Syrians they have their own names: jailers can summon up the “German chair”, “the tyre”, or “the flying carpet”; but the favourite now is the “shabeh”, hanging people by the wrists, a practice so deeply ingrained in Syrian life that no one knows what it means any more, though some say it is related to the Arabic word for “ghost”.

In the “flying carpet”, the victim is strapped down to a hinged board, with the ends brought towards each other, bending the spine. With the relatively mundane “falaqa”, the victim is beaten on the soles of the feet.

Obviously, there are also the usual add-ons – male rape, sometimes with kebab skewers, and starvation**. The defector known as “Caesar”, a police photographer, earlier this year revealed graphic evidence of the deaths of 11,000 people in regime cells since the start of the uprising. **

telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/middleeast/syria/11291469/Islamic-State-adopts-Assads-methods-of-torture.html

ISIS training (photos)

Turkey welcomes Kurds (pictures)

Another story:

**Assad regime ‘executes 131 detainees infected with the plague’ **

telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/middleeast/syria/11274281/Assad-regime-executes-131-detainees-infected-with-the-plague.html

Syrian government jailers have executed 131 inmates in a Damascus prison who had contracted the plague, it was reported on Thursday.

Conditions in the 215 Security Branch detention centre in the Syrian capital were so dire that pulmonary plague was spreading through the detainees. In September of this year, the officer in charge of the prison ordered the executions of inmates in dormitory number eight, according to an opposition group called the Syrian Association, which documents human rights violations.

Up to 117 people were killed in the first round of mass killings, with a further 14 killed two days later, the group said.

Awful as well.

It is sad to see governments resorting to torture and then attempting to justify it on the basis that other countries are doing it.

And the main blame goes to Terrorists using nefarious means to threaten innocent persons.

Awful indeed, but who is there to replace Assad? How are you going to exclude Isis or other equally bad groups like al Qaeda from taking over?

Linus2nd

I don’t have an answer to that though thankfully, that’s not the main gist of this thread.

Different reasons have been assigned for the rise of Mideastern terrorism after the US invasion of Iraq.

What’s the reason for it rising in Israel and Lebanon? Oh, it was already there. Who do you blame in Nigeria and Somalia? Sudan? Pakistan? Afghanistan? Indonesia? Attacks even in China? Chechnya? Russia? Is this after the US invasion too?

Oh, and definitely Syria since this has been going on in the Soviet Client state for 35 years.

Munich?? Kenya, Chad, Mali? India? That’s a big one, some others, I’m not sure of, Ivory Coast and Sierra Leone certainly have had their share of civil war too.

The news from over there is never good to hear.

This is somewhat off the topic of the thread which concerns torture. But to answer your off topic question, with reference to terrorism in Israel, one problem there is that Israel and the USA will not recognize Palestine as a state. Already, several European countries are tilting in the direction of the recognition of the statehood of Palestine, even though the Americans have been opposed to this. Why doesn’t the USA join with some of the European countries which are moving in the direction to give the Palestinians the human rights that other countries have? This denial of human rights of the Palestinians has led to increasing tensions in the area as Palestinians believe that they are people and deserve their own country just as other people in the world are allowed to have their own country, why are they denied? Despite the numerous meetings, negotiations, agreements, etc., Palestinians are still denied the basic human right to live in their own country and have it recognized as a state. Further the actions of Israel against the Palestinians are seen by many Palestinians as an example of state terrorism and it doesn’t help that Americans are one of the biggest supporters of the state of Israel.
Getting back to the topic of torture, there is a danger that the use of torture could spiral out of control, as more countries use torture and devise various convoluted legalistic and euphemistic terminology to defend its use. It is no fun being tortured, especially if you are innocent and have done nothing wrong except to be in the wrong place at the wrong time.

It seems blame is sometimes or often assigned to the US, it is convenient and it is driven by some persons not all with obvious motives and intent but some analysts in the know do see it differently.

Anyway, as unfortunate as the bloody years of US occupation were for everyone involved, by being there, the US was acting as a lid of some kind. While the US was there, nothing really bad could happen. Then, in 2011, the US left.

waitbutwhy.com/2014/09/muhammad-isis-iraqs-full-story.html (A lot of helpful information here and perhaps one curseword (disclaimer)

Bush quickly concluded that Islamist radicalism was a warped and alien impulse within Islam that could be countered by demonstrating to mainstream Muslims the virtues and joys of Western democratic institutions. This was his first mistake. Islamist radicalism is a natural outgrowth of fundamental Islamic sentiments that have contributed to centuries of hostility between the West and Islam. As the late Harvard political scientist Samuel P. Huntington has written, “Some Westerners…have argued that the West does not have a problem with Islam but only with violent Islamist extremists. **Fourteen hundred years **of history demonstrate otherwise….Across the centuries the fortunes of the two religions have risen and fallen in a sequence of momentous surges, pauses, and countersurges.”

nationalinterest.org/feature/who-more-responsible-the-rise-isis-bush-or-obama-11296

1400 years of a lot of this, that’s part of the problem.

Well it would be awful if what they were doing is torture, but who’s to say it is torture. Certainly not the people in the various threads concerning the US torturing prisoners.

Good evening Old Catholic Guy.

Your posts are brilliant, I mean that and not to be patronizing. I saw one poster say that about another and I think that poster was sincere. Your take on issues is informative so I’m just saying that. You wrote one post where you said you worried if you might act “uncharitable” so I thought I’d tell you that and perhaps it might bolster you in how one can read your posts. You seem like a very fair individual.

Yes, and this story was just a bit astounding, I’m not pushing any agenda. I do definitely think that the Assad family that at least has a reputation have probably inflamed the situation too.

And yes, thank you. You are admirable to be one of the many critics that we have seen who was troubled by the revelations of the report released to come by here and post versus those others who find fault with the US but if other countries act this way, don’t seem to voice an opinion.

:thumbsup:

Well, I’ve certainly been on here too much today.

For the record, if there was a “drawer cell” and one was in it for 11 days as has been written about in the Feinstein report, I definitely do think that would be torture and should be illegal if it is not. Other areas are more gray though.

Thank you, but the praise is undeserved. I’m an abrasive opinioned loudmouth who takes his own conclusions about issues to seriously. The only thing brilliant about my posts is that half the time I’m actually able to get my point across. There are posters on here that are much more deserving of praise.

I don’t think you really mean “Palestinians”. You mean “Arabs living in Palestine, but not in Israel, Jordan or Gaza”, don’t you? Arabs are living in every part of “Palestine” and, while they can rightly be said to have no human rights to speak of in Gaza because they’re ruled by Islamic despots, the same is not true in the West Bank, Jordan or Israel.

But those who go on about the “rights of Palestinians” never include the rights of 1/3 of the population of the West Bank; the Jews. I’ll ask, as I have before, where do you want to put the Jews?

There is a body of opinion to the effect that the Abbas government always puts insurmountable barriers in the way of a lasting political resolution because if it did, it would be forcibly thrown out of the West Bank by Hamas, just as it was in Gaza. Fatah and its members and supporters are living under the protection of Israel, not the oppression of Israel.

And there’s really no comparison between what the U.S. government approved for EIT and what Assad’s regime does.

Torture in the Middle East is as old as the Middle East itself. One remembers, for example the torture of “boats” imposed by the Persian monarchy millenia ago. For all I know, Assad and Iran might be using it to this day, and it would be no surprise to me if they did.

I think we in the west don’t quite understand the biblical injunction “an eye for an eye”. That was not a call for revenge, but a limitation on retribution…a call for proportionality.

And there’s really no comparison between what the U.S. government approved for EIT and what Assad’s regime does.

Whenever you say there is no comparison between something there is usually a great comparison. Yeah it was government approved in the US what do you think that makes it better, as opposed to what? Please explain that. EIT really the semantics thing? What do you think describing torture using more adjectives makes it better? Using a different word or words do describe something doesn’t change it.

If this goes down the road of making comparisons, Russia is also somewhat known that torture has occurred there, so might as well make that general comparison with all suspect nations, Iran and so on. You will especially see this spoken about in regards to Chechnya so I guess that same “great comparison” exists.

closed #19

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.