Islamic State claims it executed American photojournalist James Foley

The Islamic State militant group claimed Tuesday to have beheaded an American photojournalist in retaliation for U.S. airstrikes in Iraq.

A video released online purported to show the execution of James Foley after he recited a statement in which he called the U.S. government “my real killers.” A second prisoner, said to be Steven Joel Sotloff, like Foley an American journalist who disappeared while covering Syria’s civil war, then appears in the video.

The masked executioner, speaking with what sounds like a British accent, identifies Sotloff and says that “the life of this American citizen, Obama, depends on your next decision.”

washingtonpost.com/world/national-security/islamic-state-claims-it-beheaded-american-photojournalist-james-foley/2014/08/19/42e83970-27e6-11e4-86ca-6f03cbd15c1a_story.html

May God utterly confound these people. Women, children, young, or old it does not matter. None are safe. May they be utterly smitten and quake unto repentance. Why are we not doing more to stop this? Get off your rear, Obama!

we are appalled by the brutal murder of an innocent American journalist and we express our deepest condolences to his family and friends.

Amen

Foley’s statement before being beheaded:

“I call on my friends, family and loved ones to rise up against my real killers, the U.S. government. For what will happen to me is only a result of their complacency and criminality,” Foley reads as he kneels beside an armed militant, masked and dressed all in black. “My message to my beloved parents: Save me some dignity, and don’t accept some minor compensation for my death from the same people who effectively hit the last nail in my coffin with their recent aerial campaign in Iraq. I call on my brother John, who is a member of the U.S. Air Force: Think about what you are doing. Think about the lives you destroy, including those of your own family … I wish I could have the hope of freedom and seeing my family once again, but that ship has sailed. I guess all in all, I wish I wasn’t American.”

If you want, you can see the video at Liveleak (I won’t put a link here, but you can simply Google "James Write Foley Liveleak"and it is right there). It is not nearly as gory and disturbing as much of what has been seen in recent weeks, but it would be more appropriate to make somebody look for the video link rather than to simply post it here.

He may well have been subject to intensive abuse and brainwashing for a period of time prior to this.

Noting the whereabouts of beheading videos online is not good advise. In some cases it can be sinful for people to feed their idle curiosity.

Actually, I am one to think that it is appropriate for people to see these videos (but I post the “whereabouts” as you call it rather than a link because I want to give people a chance to think about it if their stomachs can handle it).

I also think it is appropriate to publish pictures of abortion victims.

The reason being that we can often mentally “euphemize” really unpleasant things in our minds as a form of rationalization…this tends to help us downplay exactly how evil things are out there.

You can think that the aborted baby is just a bit of undifferentiated tissue if you don’t see the baby. Once you see the little hand, it’s impossible to recognize that it is anything but the murder of a child.

You can believe the propaganda that these ISIS people are just another group fighting for its cause. Until you see exactly how brutally they go about their task.

Oh I agree 100%, its completely appropriate for all americans to watch this!

PLEASE pray for his family. I know them, they are members of my church!!! We have been praying for James for many months now. I am so sorry for them. May God give to them His comfort and grace to withstand the pain they must have.

I remember one of the first beheadings of the Iraq war was against Nicholas Berg I think, I’m not even sure if I watched that. I’ve seen pictures of the results of beheadings, that’s enough for me. It will make the skin crawl.

My heartfelt condolences. That is very sad. I certainly will pray.

Will do. My heart goes out to them and to your community.

To this day I’ve never understood why any American/British media journalist/technical/production would travel to a country where they know they are at risk for capture and/or death. While you cannot stop American freelancers from traveling into these countries, staff employees of the tabloids and network news services can hire locally vetted freelancers to report the news. Those who travel overseas to countries openly hostile to the US to get a scoop on the story too often end up becoming the story.

Nonetheless I hope the dead journalist rests in peace.

Yeah, I wonder the same thing…seems kind of foolish to travel to such an area, especially being a white american, thats almost a death wish!!

However Im assuming its because the networks want to satisfy the viewing publics thirst for blood and war…after all, we all know why people go to nascar and similar events, hint, its NOT to watch cars go around in a circle constantly…they hope to see an accident, and the bigger the better!! the fact is, people like to see blood, and death, networks are only happy to oblige…its sad, but its just the way things are.

This is just one of a great many atrocities committed by ISIL.

Oh no. I sincerely hope that this has not happened.

That said, there needs to be a stop put to ISIS. I have heard conflicting claims about whether or not Pope Francis supports military action against them. Some say he does support it and others say he doesn’t. I really have no idea. Does anybody know for sure? Please provide an official Vatican source for proof.

I would like to think that I would never read that statement that Foley read on the video. If I knew that I was going to be killed anyway; I would not give them the satisfaction. I suppose that since he hasn’t been seen in almost two years; the statement was one way for the outside world to know his fate… I guess if he didn’t read the statement they would have just killed him and he would still be “missing”. Poor guy. I will pray for him.

In light of all this, I think it’s time to ramp up the bombing. This video is an attempt to turn public opinion against the bombing missions - and that means that the bombing is working. When terrorists start demanding an end to hostilities (by means of threats, not by a desire for peace); that’s exactly when said hostilities should intensify.

Truthfully, I think no quarter should be given ISIS. If they’re not stopped now, it could spread to who knows where… This should have been nipped in the bud a long time ago…

I am fairly certain our pope supports it. I for one say these people need to be wiped off the face of the earth without restraint. May God rest their souls, but this would be justice, for them to no longer breath.

Amen.

ucatholic.com/blog/beheaded-journalist-james-foley-on-praying-the-rosary-in-captivity/

Here is a link in which James Foley discusses the peace that he obtained while praying the rosary during his previous captivity. I pray that he was filled with the same peace during this captivity, and was welcomed with love into heaven. Prayers for his family and friends during this horrible time.

I have to agree that we need to do more bombing of them. Justice definitely needs to be served.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.