Islam's concept of Martyrdom

Quoting from <islam.org>:

It is important to know that suicide is forbidden because of its evil objectives; such as impatience, desperation or any other bad and evil objects. In Jundob Bin Junada’s Hadith, the Prophet (s.a.w.) said: “In the past, there was a wounded man who impatiently cut his hand bleeding to death, Allah said: ‘my slave took the first step to death, he is forbidden to enter Paradise’.” So, killing one’s self this way is “suicide” as it is Islamically pointless, meaningless and intentionally suicidal.
On the other hand, the one who contributes his life to the cause of Allah, Islam and Muslims his doing is sacrificial; he gives his life away for Islam and Muslims, which is the highest sacrifice.

The history of Islam is full of heroic and sacrificial events. It is narrated by Abu Dawood through one of the Prophet’s companions, he said: "***we mounted an attacked on a part of Hunain, one of us followed an unbeliever to kill him, by a mistake killed himself. ***The prophet (s.a.w.) said: ‘O, Muslims… your brother’. We rushed to check him, but found him dead. The Prophet (s.a.w.) wrapped him with his own clothes and his blood on him, then performed the prayer of the dead, the Prophet’s companions asked: is he a martyr? He said: “he is, and I am a witness”. Therefore, the one who blows up the enemies of Allah by blowing up himself as well cannot be considered a suicide, and he is, Allah willing, a martyr.

Killing an unbeliever for any religious cause is not a cause for martyrdom but is simply called–murder. This is horrible and unholy “martyrdom.”

Pio

[quote=hlgomez]Quoting from <islam.org>:

It is important to know that suicide is forbidden because of its evil objectives; such as impatience, desperation or any other bad and evil objects. In Jundob Bin Junada’s Hadith, the Prophet (s.a.w.) said: “In the past, there was a wounded man who impatiently cut his hand bleeding to death, Allah said: ‘my slave took the first step to death, he is forbidden to enter Paradise’.” So, killing one’s self this way is “suicide” as it is Islamically pointless, meaningless and intentionally suicidal.
On the other hand, the one who contributes his life to the cause of Allah, Islam and Muslims his doing is sacrificial; he gives his life away for Islam and Muslims, which is the highest sacrifice.

The history of Islam is full of heroic and sacrificial events. It is narrated by Abu Dawood through one of the Prophet’s companions, he said: "***we mounted an attacked on a part of Hunain, one of us followed an unbeliever to kill him, by a mistake killed himself. ***The prophet (s.a.w.) said: ‘O, Muslims… your brother’. We rushed to check him, but found him dead. The Prophet (s.a.w.) wrapped him with his own clothes and his blood on him, then performed the prayer of the dead, the Prophet’s companions asked: is he a martyr? He said: “he is, and I am a witness”. Therefore, the one who blows up the enemies of Allah by blowing up himself as well cannot be considered a suicide, and he is, Allah willing, a martyr.

Killing an unbeliever for any religious cause is not a cause for martyrdom but is simply called–murder. This is horrible and unholy “martyrdom.”

Pio
[/quote]

Hi there

You have quoted this from a non-Islamic website and Muslims cannot accept anything quoted from non-Islamic website. It will further confuse you.

Regards
Preacher

you just love to have it both ways, don’t you all ?

I earlier quoted from islamic web sites regarding the Jews and was told it was all out of context.

quite revealing actually.

My purpose is to clear these misconceptions regarding muslim martyrdom. If you can share something about authentic Islamic teaching, then share your views here.

The above quote, whether it’s coming from a non-muslim website or not (I don’t know), is actually what is happening in the case of muslim terrorists who may hijack your religion. They all want to justify their murderous behaviours against non-muslims, and even to the extent of killing muslims. That’s why I posted it here so we could discuss what really is the concept of martyrdom in Islam as against the concept of martyrdom of those who claim themselves to be muslims shouting “Alahu Akbar!” and encourage suicide bombings.

The bottomline is: Who are we really to believe?

Pio

To be a martyr you die:

1. in childbirth
  2. Drowning
  3. Any sickness of the stomach
  4. Dieing to protect yourself, your family, your Muslim brother/sister, innocences, your properties, your neighbors properties, the properties of any Muslim, for the cause of God…ect
    Someone should continue the list.

wa salam

[quote=un_dhimmi]you just love to have it both ways, don’t you all ?

I earlier quoted from islamic web sites regarding the Jews and was told it was all out of context.

quite revealing actually.
[/quote]

Hi there

Let me clear something that, I am not an apologist, thus, I don’t concern myself what any non-Muslim believe or think that includes you, on this issue. If you want to be intellectually honest and fair than quote using authentic and authorative sources of Islam.

Also I have nothing to do what some one else told you. That is between you two, not to mention; I don’t have all the facts to offer my opinion on that.

Regards
Preacher

Fair enough.

Do you consider the suicide bomber in Iraq terrorists or martyrs ?

To be a martyr you die:

1. in childbirth
  2. Drowning
  3. Any sickness of the stomach
  4. Dieing to protect yourself, your family, your Muslim brother/sister, innocences, your properties, your neighbors properties, the properties of any Muslim, for the cause of God…ect
    Someone should continue the list.
  1. Suicide bombing in the name of Allah? Please clear this up.

Pio

[quote=un_dhimmi]Fair enough.

Do you consider the suicide bomber in Iraq terrorists or martyrs ?
[/quote]

Hi there

You are now heading to political direction, this board is about Islam and thats it, not about Iraq. Beside in order for me to offer my opinion I must have all facts and evidences under Islamic Shariah rules that govern the rules of evidence. I simply cannot offer my opinion of “hearsay” or using non-Islamic anti-Islam biased media as my source.

Regards
Preacher

You mean there can be a different interpretation to these suicide bombings in Iraq ?

Is Islam a complete way of life or not (I have been told this innumerable times by muslims) ? If yes, how do you pick and choose ?

[quote=un_dhimmi]You mean there can be a different interpretation to these suicide bombings in Iraq ?

Is Islam a complete way of life or not (I have been told this innumerable times by muslims) ? If yes, how do you pick and choose ?
[/quote]

Hi there

It is your pick believe whatever you like. I don’t concern myself what you think or believe. Because what you believe does not change the facts. Come to think is the Genocide of Muslims civilians with nuclear attacks based on lies of WMD against two sovereign countries by Christians (not to mention rapes and humiliations) are within the premise of:

Turn the other cheek and love thy enemy?

Why don’t we talk about this?

Because Iraqis did not come to kill Americans on American soil. So isn’t it Christian Trojan Horses i.e. (1) Turn the other cheek (2) Love thy enemy.

Also when in the entire history Christians’ have ever turned the other cheek? And when they have ever loved their enemy?

This will be my last reponse on political issue and I hope you understnad that you are standing on thin ground on this issue.

Regards
Preacher

the only flaw in your argument is that the war in Iraq is not a christian war

America / Britan are secular countries and did not carry out the war in the name of Christianity.

Unlike the cries of Allah U Akbar which are heard when the brave muslim warriors attack innocent civilians.

[quote=un_dhimmi]the only flaw in your argument is that the war in Iraq is not a christian war

America / Britan are secular countries and did not carry out the war in the name of Christianity.

Unlike the cries of Allah U Akbar which are heard when the brave muslim warriors attack innocent civilians.
[/quote]

Hi there

Nice try to weasel out, but no cigar. You can rant all you want on Iraq issue, but I have uttered the facts. So, why are you using diversionary tactics now and going against the topic of the tread that you started? It is same hypocrisy we found in Jesus, according to NT.

Regards
Preacher

Preacher,

First you said that the discussion was heading to a political dimension with the mention of Iraq.

Now you’re saying that it was the Christians who attack Iraq.

Honestly, you’re confusing me here.

Pio

[quote=hlgomez]Preacher,

First you said that the discussion was heading to a political dimension with the mention of Iraq.

Now you’re saying that it was the Christians who attack Iraq.

Honestly, you’re confusing me here.

Pio
[/quote]

But thats normal muslim behaviour Pio.

Also know as the science of Taqiya.

[quote=un_dhimmi]the only flaw in your argument is that the war in Iraq is not a christian war

[/quote]

So…let me get this straight…

Islam is atticking innocent civilians because of things like cries of allahu akbar…

However it is the work of America and Britain, as countries, which is causing the death of innocent civilians in Iraq.

Invalid argument:

If muslims fighting in Iraq killing innocent civilians means it is normal muslim behavior to do so, then therefore:

the Christian soldier who kisses his cross necklace before raiding a home and killing all occupants must be a classic example of Christianity.

In both cases, NO.

Either you all are twice as violent as muslims (which if you want me to prove, I will, the Church has probably the bloodiest most savage history of any establishment ever on the planet) OR

we can say that neither one of us is violent, and it is simply people who use religion as a means for gains who are making a bad name for both.

Wrong again.

The soldier who kisses his cross before going into battle in particpating in a private prayer. He is seeking Gods help because he knows he might not survive the battle. He is not going into battle in the name of Christ or in the name of Christianity.

Look at all the videos the terrorists put out. Qurans being flashed about, banners with Islamic quotations, beheadings in the name of Allah !

There is no comparison between the two.

If you believe Islam is being unfairly dragged in, it is not because we drag it in, it is because muslims carrying out these crimes do so.

Do no blame others for what muslims do in the name of Islam.

[quote=un_dhimmi]Wrong again.

The soldier who kisses his cross before going into battle in particpating in a private prayer. He is seeking Gods help because he knows he might not survive the battle. He is not going into battle in the name of Christ or in the name of Christianity.

Look at all the videos the terrorists put out. Qurans being flashed about, banners with Islamic quotations, beheadings in the name of Allah !

There is no comparison between the two.

If you believe Islam is being unfairly dragged in, it is not because we drag it in, it is because muslims carrying out these crimes do so.

Do no blame others for what muslims do in the name of Islam.
[/quote]

having watched a number of al-qaeda videos, I can tell you right now that after viewing no more than three seconds it is clear they have no understanding of Islam.

The videos contain music, which is forbidden in Islam, which shows just how much they know about the religion.

And, these people are praying for help in battle, just as the christian man.

I do not blame others for what muslims do in battle, blame muslims. They are ignorant, and because of the actions they take in ignorance I am forced to defend myself from things all over the place.

I am beginning to like you Eetaq.

May I ask where you are from - you do not read Arabic, so which country do you come from ?

[quote=un_dhimmi]I am beginning to like you Eetaq.

May I ask where you are from - you do not read Arabic, so which country do you come from ?
[/quote]

I can only express my emotion with a series of ‘emoticons’

:clapping: :dancing: :bounce: :love: :whacky:

I can read arabic, but it does me no good, because I have no clue what its talking about.

My father is from Libya, mother is american (theyre divorced and I live alone w/dad)

And I’m born and raised in USA.

how about yourself?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.