Islam's stance on Birth Control...what is it?

One of my daughter’s best friends is Islamic…her mom had 8 children and then had her tubes tied as she nearly died as did her 8th child from pregnancy complications.

Is there an overall stance on Birth Control in Islam? If so, what is it?

I have noticed that where as the total populations of non-Islamic people in the world is dwindling, most Islamic families are flurishing. Is this simply cultural or is this because many Islamic couples are practicing their faith?

Simply Curious.

Fertility rates in Turkey and The Islamic Republic of Iran are below ‘replacement rate’, make of that what you will.

Now coming to the issue of birth control, there is nothing in Islam that prohibits it so long as it is done consensually for valid reasons such as the following: putting off pregnancy until such time when the spouses are in a better position to shoulder the responsibilities of parenting, to allow for space between pregnancies in order to provide proper nurturing and care to existing children, et cetera.

Birth control is, however, forbidden or undesirable when it is resorted to as a permanent measure to prevent conception altogether; likewise, it is forbidden if resorted to for fear of poverty. Allah says, “Don’t kill your children for fear of poverty; it is We who provide sustenance for them and you; verily killing them is a most heinous crime!” (Al-Isra’: 31). After reflecting on this verse, scholars have concluded that practicing birth control for fear of poverty is unlawful since it implies weakness of faith and trust in Allah as the Provider and Sustainer of all beings.”

Excerpted, with slight modifications, from: www.muslims.ca

Complete side note:

I like the way in the Koran Allah uses the term “We”…leads me to believe He is revealing the fact that Allah is a Trinity because otherwise in the Koran Allah would use the term “I”.

The we here is a we of majesty and not we of pluralism. It is common in arabic for kings and stuff.

Birth control is not forbidden. But to estrict number of children is forbidden. ( like china) . Muslims just have bables as they wish and as they can afford. Thats all.

Muslims believe it is the we of majesty :slight_smile:

anyway regarding the topic, i gave an Islamic response…am not sure if other sheikh deem it wrong but surfing the net gave me the impression it is ok.

The quote inJESUS posted is pretty much accurate. Birth control is in general allowed so long as it isn’t permanent, and is agreed upon between the spouses. Permanent measures like you mentioned are allowed if the woman’s health is in jeopardy, as it seemed to be in that case.

Regarding “We…”

Allah in fact does use the terms “I” and “Me” and “My” in the Qur’an, just like He uses the terms “He” and “Him” and “His.” But never does Allah use the term “They.”

We is a dignified or majestic plural which substitutes for the singular in some cases without implying any kind of duplicity. If you want to read what the Qur’an says about the Trinity, I’d be happy to supply you the verse.

But you should know that sometimes Allah says “We” and sometimes He says “I.”

It is the pronoun of choice in one of my favorite verses, 2:186

And when My servants ask you, [O Muhammad], concerning Me - indeed I am near. I respond to the invocation of the supplicant when he calls upon Me. So let them respond to Me [by obedience] and believe in Me that they may be [rightly] guided.

PS, it isn’t really polite to call a person “islamic.”

You can use that as an adjective for non-human things like Islamic Law, Islamic Art, etc. But when referring to people it is more appropriate to use the term ‘Muslim’ which means someone who is doing Islam.

Okay…but it was a cool thought (for me at least) while it lasted :wink:

Thanks! Would have never known!

Yes, I figured it is actually the “Royal We”, but I liked my idea anyway. :thumbsup:

My daughter’s friend’s dad gave me their copy of the Qu’ran - I was surprised to see that they have a whole Chapter (Sura) dedicated to Mary, the Mother of God (Jesus).

When I get home I will look up the Sura you mentioned.

Thank you!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.