Isn't eternity a long time?

The thing that has been worrying me is, what does eternity feel like? And what is heaven like? What will we do in heaven? Will we meet new people? Will we see old people? Will we just talk? And how can we enjoy it if it lasts forever? Will it ever change? I understand that it is supposed to feel like an eternal Now, but I don’t know what that means.

It means that there is no time in heaven. Heaven is being in the immediate presence of God. Because God has all perfections (really, is all perfections), he cannot change because change implies imperfection. Since time marks change, there can be no time in heaven. While I cannot say how that will “feel,” all I can say is that an eternal Now is somewhat analogous to an eternal Present with no past and no future. For more specificity than that, we’ll just have to wait and see when we get there.

Recommended reading:

Theology for Beginners by Frank Sheed
A Travel Guide to Heaven by Anthony DeStefano

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.