Isn't it Funny How God Answers Prayers on HIS Terms Not Ours?

OK, so we're struggling financially a bit. OK a lot. I came with about $30,000 in debt when we got married, student loans plus a car (that is a sore subject for sure! ;)). Now after having the baby, we find the debt mounting a bit more. We are certain we don't want Dominic to be in daycare, and we have been on one income for about 5 months, but now we have a couple thousand extra in bills. So, I've been praying hard and looking for some jobs I can do while I stay at home. I have an accounting degree but we don't live in an area that is conducive to telecommuting for this line of work. I am also a physical therapist assistant, but also can't do that one from home. I've picked up some per diem work for that, but it's only a few nights a week. And I've looked into every "work at home mom" jobs there are and very few are legitimate and of those that are legitimate, none of them want to hire me!

So, yesterday I decided that I was going to look into a graveyard shift at Walmart or our local truck stop. The truck stop happened to be hiring for that very shift and pretty much hired me on the spot. I start tomorrow night, so tonight I'm staying up all night to prep myself.

We are both working two jobs, my husband works all day at the hospital and then teaches two nights a week at our community college. We will be tired, but at least we won't be putting Dominic in daycare. Please pray for us as we start this endeavor. It will be tough for us.

The Lord is merciful and will not reject us forever.
He may bring us sorrow, but His love for us is sure and strong.
He takes no pleasure in causing grief or pain.
Lamentations 3:28-33

[quote="Jea9, post:1, topic:212966"]
O

So, yesterday I decided that I was going to look into a graveyard shift at Walmart or our local truck stop. The truck stop happened to be hiring for that very shift and pretty much hired me on the spot. I start tomorrow night, so tonight I'm staying up all night to prep myself.

We are both working two jobs, my husband works all day at the hospital and then teaches two nights a week at our community college. We will be tired, but at least we won't be putting Dominic in daycare. Please pray for us as we start this endeavor. It will be tough for us.

[/quote]

we both did shift work in the early years of our marriage when we were in pretty much this situation, DH still finishing school. Yes it can be done, and I got my own degree during those years as well. Upside, dad got quality Mr Mom time with the kids, avoided day care in their early years (there were nowhere near the options available at that time for child care as there are now). You can do this. But keep track of every dime and know the true cost of working any given job.

Our secret was tithing. First priest told us to do it from the pulpit, and we have done it for 40 years and have never been in need where that need was not met by God's providence.

Jea9,

Yes, God does take care of us. My husband lost his job in August. Our kids are grown. Do have a daughter & grandson living with us. I work full time. And yes, God does answer prayers in His time. My husband has been working a side job (carpentry). And starts a temporary job (6 mos) w/ the hope of being hired permanently.

I've been practicing patience & acceptance.

God Bless You ;)

James 5:7-8

Patience in Suffering

7Be patient, then, brothers, until the Lord's coming. See how the farmer waits for the land to yield its valuable crop and how patient he is for the autumn and spring rains. 8You too, be patient and stand firm, because the Lord's coming is near.

He always answers prayers on his terms and sometimes that just make me smile especially when I have worried about something for a long time and then finally admit that I need him to take the problem and do whatever he will. And he does. ;)

As far as finances---you can and will do it and it will all work out. Things will be ok.

[quote="Jea9, post:1, topic:212966"]
OK, so we're struggling financially a bit. OK a lot. I came with about $30,000 in debt when we got married, student loans plus a car (that is a sore subject for sure! ;)). Now after having the baby, we find the debt mounting a bit more. We are certain we don't want Dominic to be in daycare, and we have been on one income for about 5 months, but now we have a couple thousand extra in bills. So, I've been praying hard and looking for some jobs I can do while I stay at home. I have an accounting degree but we don't live in an area that is conducive to telecommuting for this line of work. I am also a physical therapist assistant, but also can't do that one from home. I've picked up some per diem work for that, but it's only a few nights a week. And I've looked into every "work at home mom" jobs there are and very few are legitimate and of those that are legitimate, none of them want to hire me!

[/quote]

My parents did the same sort of thing and all their children were blessed to always have a parent at home even if they didn't see each much. My prayers for your family.

[quote="puzzleannie, post:3, topic:212966"]
we both did shift work in the early years of our marriage when we were in pretty much this situation, DH still finishing school. Yes it can be done, and I got my own degree during those years as well. Upside, dad got quality Mr Mom time with the kids, avoided day care in their early years (there were nowhere near the options available at that time for child care as there are now). You can do this. But keep track of every dime and know the true cost of working any given job.

Our secret was tithing. First priest told us to do it from the pulpit, and we have done it for 40 years and have never been in need where that need was not met by God's providence.

[/quote]

We haven't changed what we're giving, so I'm hoping that this will continue to be a blessing for us. It's good to hear others did and made it work! I am really excited for my husband to get quality time with the baby, especially since he is so worried about missing all the "firsts" with him, this will be good for him.

[quote="cradlecatholic5, post:4, topic:212966"]
Jea9,

Yes, God does take care of us. My husband lost his job in August. Our kids are grown. Do have a daughter & grandson living with us. I work full time. And yes, God does answer prayers in His time. My husband has been working a side job (carpentry). And starts a temporary job (6 mos) w/ the hope of being hired permanently.

I've been practicing patience & acceptance.

God Bless You ;)

[/quote]

Thank you!

[quote="horselvr, post:6, topic:212966"]
He always answers prayers on his terms and sometimes that just make me smile especially when I have worried about something for a long time and then finally admit that I need him to take the problem and do whatever he will. And he does. ;)

As far as finances---you can and will do it and it will all work out. Things will be ok.

[/quote]

It's humbling at best to realize that nothing is really in your hands huh? ;)

[quote="Sierrah, post:7, topic:212966"]
My parents did the same sort of thing and all their children were blessed to always have a parent at home even if they didn't see each much. My prayers for your family.

[/quote]

That's exactly why we don't want daycare. We want our kids to say this too! :)

Thank you everyone for the prayers!

[quote="puzzleannie, post:3, topic:212966"]

[/quote]

We have also had this blessing in our life. Remember to share what you have been Blessed with, even if it is small. Praised be God.

Thank you everyone for the prayers. Just wanted to update. I worked the graveyard shift Friday "night" and it was awful. It's clear that I can't handle it. I was dead on my feet and not making any sense by about 2AM. Not to mention, my 7 week old baby was inconsolable for several hours making it so my husband couldn't sleep at all. It's a good thing we tried on a weekend, otherwise he would have had to call in sick to work.

I'm thinking maybe God's answer is that we need to trust Him a bit more. We're struggling, but we're making it. Barely, but we are. That's just somewhere we've never been before and it's hard to have full trust.

In the beginning of the year, when I was fed up with my weight I asked God to help me control my sweet tooth. A month later I found out I was pregnant and guess what?, the only food that made me sick was anything pastry, candy, etc. and fast food. As far as money, you have to look at the little things (like for us, for example, we received a settlement check from CVS a few weeks back for about $12 for something hubby purchased years ago that I guess they overcharged. $12 may not be much, but it's something).

:hug1: Jea! Your situation is so difficult! I think I can understand at least somewhat because I'm in a similar one. But like yall, my husband and I are determined that our little girl not be in daycare, so that means I'm a stay at home mom. Period and non-negotiable. Can we afford it? No, not really lol. But we're trusting God because you know what? Daycare costs money too. Having an outside-the-home job in itself (if you factor in clothes/uniform, travel expenses, daycare, eating out, etc.) can sometimes be more expensive than it's worth. I saw a breakdown of the typical expenses once put up next to a typical entry-level income and it was eye-opening.

Anyhow, you're in my prayers. :gopray2:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.