Isn't this comparison of Gen 1 and John 1 problematic?

I was at a protestant service this weekend with family and the pastors sermon was on Jesus being the “light of the world”. He used the analogy of comparing the creation story in Gen 1 and made the inference that when God created light it, the light was Jesus. Because then he went to John 1 and talked talked about how Jesus is light.

For example:
Gen 1:3-4 "Then God said, “Let there be light,” and there was light. 4 And God saw that the light was good. Then he separated the light from the darkness.”

John 1:4 “The Word gave life to everything that was created, and his life brought light to everyone.”

I understand the temptation to use the two verses to support each other, but think it’s theologically wrong to insinuate that God created Jesus in Genesis 1:3. It contradicts John’s message that in the beginning the Word was with God and everything was created through him. To me that would include the light.

I know its a small issue, but think that idea gives the idea that God created the Word when he created the world.

Is there an official church view on this? If so, what is it?

Dear friend,

This is not a small issue. The pastor meant well, but he let his devotion out-run his ability to reason—or he does not know much theology—or both. When St. John called Jesus the light, he was speaking metaphorically; not literally. Jesus is so much more than a bright light. In fact, He is God, the Son and as the Second Person of the Holy Trinity, could never have been created. He always was and always will be.

Fr. Vincent Serpa, O.P.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.