Isn't this silly and a waste of taxpayer money?

I read where the government did a study on whether text messaging while driving was dangerous.

It depends on what they are going to do with the results. If the government wants to pass laws prohibiting texting, they should be able to back it up with proof.

They also use these studies to educate people. For example, my school had an engineer come in and give all of the facts about texting and driving last year. It made it so the students and others can't say, "I can text and drive safely." He basically said: "If you open and read a text, you will travel approximately 400 feet with your eyes completely off of the road." Yes, it may seem like a wast of money, but if it is used correctly, it could save lives.

My point is this:If people just concentrate on their driving with no distractions they are safer than if they are concentrating on 2 things.Worse if they are concentrating on 3 things.and on and on.Why spend money on this.Its obvious that you're not as safe a driver when you're doing 2 things at once.

[quote="valentino, post:4, topic:246541"]
My point is this:If people just concentrate on their driving with no distractions they are safer than if they are concentrating on 2 things.Worse if they are concentrating on 3 things.and on and on.Why spend money on this.Its obvious that you're not as safe a driver when you're doing 2 things at once.

[/quote]

Well, a study like this could help by revealing exactly how dangerous texting while driving is. It may help correct misconceptions among people that texting while driving is less dangerous than talking on the phone while driving. I don't know, I've heard more inane studies done with far fewer concievable applications.

[quote="valentino, post:4, topic:246541"]

[/quote]

You would think this would be common sense, right? But if it was such common sense you wouldn't need to pass a law. If you want to legislate the activity, it doesn't hurt to have proof that texting is more dangerous, for example, than changing the channels on the radio (not illegal), reading your GPS (not illegal) or singing 100 bottles of beer on the wall (not illegal).

[quote="valentino, post:1, topic:246541"]
I read where the government did a study on whether text messaging while driving was dangerous.

[/quote]

Could you provide us with some kind of information about this study? I hear all kinds of rumors, some of which are quite fanciful. Having some factual information may help us understand the situation better.

[quote="Corki, post:6, topic:246541"]
You would think this would be common sense, right? But if it was such common sense you wouldn't need to pass a law. If you want to legislate the activity, it doesn't hurt to have proof that texting is more dangerous, for example, than changing the channels on the radio (not illegal), reading your GPS (not illegal) or singing 100 bottles of beer on the wall (not illegal).

[/quote]

But how could they prove that texting is more dangerous when driving than the other 3?I admit I don't know how the test was done,but it can't be proved more dangerous unless you are looking at how much time your eyes are off the road.if that is the case you can run the test in a few minutes.Or anybody sitting in his office could give you the right answer.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.