Israel’s Sephardic Chief Rabbi: Gentiles Here To Serve the Jews

According to Jewish law, gentiles should not live in the Land of Israel,” (Israel’s Sephardic Chief Rabbi Yitzhak) Yosef said. “If a gentile does not agree to take on the seven Noahide Laws, we should send him to Saudi Arabia. When the true and complete redemption arrives, that is what we will do” . . .

Non-Jews who remain in Israel are here to serve the Jews who live in Israel, according to the rabbi.

“Who will be the servers? Who will be our assistants? Therefore, we leave them here in the land,” he said.

Read more: forward.com/news/breaking-news/337161/israels-sephardic-chief-rabbi-gentiles-here-to-serve-the-jews/#ixzz44FFsEkxj

This man’s father, Ovadia Yosef, was also at one time the Sephardic Chief Rabbi of Israel, and later founded the ultra-Orthodox Shas political party in 1984, and made similar statements to the ones his son has just made about Gentiles in a sermon in 2000 and a number of other controversial statements.

More on The Chief Rabbinate of Israel:

From Wikipedia:

"The Chief Rabbinate of Israel (הרבנות הראשית לישראל) is recognized by law[1] as the supreme rabbinic and spiritual authority for Judaism in Israel. The Chief Rabbinate Council assists the two chief rabbis, who alternate in its presidency. It has legal and administrative authority to organize religious arrangements for Israel’s Jews. It also responds to halakhic questions submitted by Jewish public bodies in the Diaspora. The Council sets, guides and supervises agencies within its authority.

The Chief Rabbinate of Israel consists of two Chief Rabbis: an Ashkenazi rabbi and a Sephardi rabbi, also known as the Rishon leZion (i.e., First to Zion). The Chief Rabbis are elected for 10 year terms. The present Sephardi Chief Rabbi is Yitzhak Yosef and the Ashkenazi Chief Rabbi is David Lau, both of whom commenced their terms in 2013."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chief_Rabbinate_of_Israel

Some rabbis can also be extremists, who twist the tenets of Judaism to serve their own hateful political agenda and thus make a mockery of the Jewish religion.

The Americans give a lot of money to Israel. It doesn’t seem right that if an American Christian is in Israel, she will have to serve the Jews there?

This comment would fuel people like Hitler.

Without Christian America’s blood, treasure, and political support, there would be no state of Israel in the Holy Land.

Money buys power; power presumes authority…but, what is genuine and true ultimately can never be entirely negated. It is a false security, and it is completely and utterly arrogant.

We just had to watch our aspiring leaders ( puppets ) dance their little dances at th AIPAC convention recently. This is what Israel buys with OUR money.

However, that they can never buy true American good will by these tactics, is the fatal flaw in their strategy. Genuine good will cannot be purchased. That is why Israel is so very resented by those of us whose taxes are extorted by the agents of Zionism.

Here is the opening line of the article, that the OP edited out:

Non-Jews should not live in the Land of Israel unless they accept the seven Noahide Laws, Israel’s Sephardic chief rabbi said.

The Noahide laws:

[LIST=1]
*]Do not deny God.
*] Do not blaspheme God.
*] Do not murder.
*] Do not engage in illicit sexual relations.
*] Do not steal.
*] Do not eat of a live animal.
*] Establish courts/legal system to ensure obedience to the law.
[/LIST]

Christians have been bound to the Noahide laws since the first century Council of Jerusalem (Acts 15:19–21).

do you think the Ashkenazi Rabbi shares the same views as the Sephardic Rabbi?

I guess Christians are serving Israel in tourism and the money given.
Not a very charitable thing for him to say.

It wasn’t the OP, it was the article

No, I don’t think so. However, Forward is an American Jewish (and liberal) website. Most American Jews are Ashkenazi. But also, in America many Jews are not religious and a large percentage are even atheists.

God Bless

I used to subscribe to The Forward when I studied Judaism at one of our local synagogues. I get newsletters from The Forward into my inbox. I like to know what is going on in the American Jewish community. I would like to know if the other Rabbi commented after the remarks made by the Sephardic Rabbi.

Bit like Israel itself, then.

Since Judaism isn’t monolithic, perhaps other rabbis shouldn’t be expected to comment on the faith’s outliers.

Here’s something of interest: haaretz.com/opinion/.premium-1.711321

Christians sadly make up less than 2% of the population living in Israel, which is hardly a threat to Judaism, and certainly not enough to “serve” all the Jews.

You should be thankful that there is one place in the whole Middle EAst where Christians are safe and growing in number; Israel. You should also be thankful that there is one place where people can say foolish things like this Rabbi does, and not be tortured and killed. There are lots of Christians who say the Jews of Israel must convert in the last days, and they’re free to say what they want in Israel just as is this Rabbi.

And Israel quite possibly prevented World War III, another thing for which you should be thankful. It’s a long story and won’t be repeated here. But it’s almost certainly true.

I don’t think that Christians are all that safe in Israel:
haaretz.com/christians-in-jerusalem-want-jews-to-stop-spitting-on-them-1.137099
jpost.com/Magazine/Mouths-filled-with-hatred
warincontext.org/2011/11/05/being-spat-on-remains-part-of-life-for-christians-in-jerusalem/

those articles are from 2004 and 2009. anything more recent?

Most Israelis are resolutely secular. Undoubtedly there are places in the U.S. where Jews aren’t safe. They sure weren’t when I lived in a changing neighborhood in St. Louis.

There are bigots everywhere, and the Israelis-as-bigots anecdotal stories don’t tell us anything more than that. The fact is, Israel is the only place in the Middle East where the Christian population is growing.

And, of course, most Christians in Israel are ARabs. To what are these Orthodox expressing hostility, the fact that they’re Christians or the fact that they’re Arabs?
Not that expressing hostility to Arabs is a good thing, but if anyone on this earth has reason for it, it’s Israeli Jews.

Excuses for bigotry while discussing Israel, the irony is strong in this thread…

Before assuming the moral superiority of dismissing it as bigotry, one ought to at least try to learn whether Arabs in Israel support establishment of a Palestinian state within the 1967 borders or not; something that would be the end of Israel as a Jewish state.

Now, we are sometimes told on here (correctly or incorrectly) that Arab Israelis do want that, and that Arab Christians support it generally. I am not saying that justifies the hostility of this Jewish minority toward Christians, but I am saying sometimes such things have their origin in fear and the sense of potential betrayal, rather than religious bigotry.

The fact is, we don’t know. If it arises out of fear of attack, the actions are still wrong, but they’re a lot more understandable than if they arise out of some motive of religious intolerance.

Regardless of any of that, this has all the appearance of anecdotal stories of hostile actions of a small group within a larger society; something that happens in every society. That doesn’t mean it’s okay, any more than it was okay for people to chase the Jews out of a neighborhood I once lived it. But neither should be represented as characteristic of a society as a whole.

A priest from Jordan came to my parish to speak one. Then, during the World Meeting of Families, the Patriarch of Jerusalem came to my parish as well.

When speaking about Christians in Israel, the priest said they are safe from Israelis for the most part. Especially in/around Bethlehem. However, Christians in the West Bank and Gaza Strip are not. They are treated just like Palestinian terrorists. For Christians in the West Bank & Gaza, they have to fear both Israel and the Muslims.

But ISIS is obviously the greatest threat to everyone.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.