(Israeli) Court permits right-wing protest near Muslim-"Jewish" wedding

An Israeli court refused on Sunday to prohibit a planned demonstration that night outside the wedding hall where a mixed Muslim-Jewish couple is celebrating their recent marriage, but ordered protesters to remain at least 200 meters from the venue.

The Rishon Letzion Magistrate’s Court issued the ruling after the couple, Morel Malka and Mahmoud Mansour, applied for an injunction to stop a planned demonstration organized by Lehava (a Hebrew acronym for “preventing assimilation in the Holy Land”). Mansour is a Muslim Arab, while Malka is an Israeli Jew who converted to Islam . . .

President Reuven Rivlin addressed the wedding in a post on his Facebook page. “There is a red line between freedom of speech and protest on the one hand and incitement on the other,” he wrote. “Mahmoud and Morel from Jaffa have decided to marry and to exercise their freedom in a democratic country. The manifestations of incitement against them are infuriating and distressing, whatever my opinion or anyone else’s might be regarding the issue itself. Not everyone has to share in the happiness of Mahmoud and Morel — but everyone has to respect them. Among us and within our midst there are harsh and sharp disagreements but incitement, violence and racism have no place in Israeli society. These manifestations are undermining the foundations of our shared life here in the Jewish and democratic, democratic and Jewish State of Israel.” Rivlin concluded the post with a quotation from the early Zionist leader Ze’ev Jabotinsky: “In the beginning God created the individual,” and added: “We are a free people in our country, in opinion and action, and I wish the young couple health, satisfaction and happiness.”

haaretz.com/news/national/1.610943

The bride has already converted to Islam. so she’s no longer Jewish.

So, why is this group, Lehava, protesting the wedding?

Also, how can Israel be a State that is “Jewish and democratic, democratic and Jewish State of Israel”, as President Reuven Rivlin stated.

Most Western liberal democracies have Separation of Church and State; is this not the case in Israel as well??? :confused:

The answer may be confusing.

Here is how the Jewish Virtual Library describes the situation:

The Basic Law: Human Dignity and Liberty refers to a “Jewish and democratic State”. However, Judaism has not been proclaimed the official religion of Israel. Rather, the law and practice in Israel regarding religious freedom may best be understood as a sort of hybrid between non-intervention in religious affairs, on the one hand, and the inter-involvement of religion and government in several forms on the other, most notably by legislation establishing the jurisdiction of religious courts of the different faiths in specified matters of “personal status” by government funding of authorities which provide religious services to several of the religious communities; and by a series of legal institutions and practices which apply Jewish religious norms to the Jewish population.

Israel protects the freedom of Jews and non-Jews alike to engage in their chosen form of religious practice or worship. Likewise, in most cases the application of religious precepts by institutions of the State, such as in the prohibition of work on religious days of rest, does not compel Jews or non-Jews to violate the precepts of their chosen faith. However, freedom of religion is not an absolute right, but rather is subject to limitations and derogation. Thus, freedom of religion must be balanced with other rights and interests, and may be restricted for reasons of public order and security. In practice, however, Israeli authorities have exercised their power with great caution.
jewishvirtuallibrary.org/jsource/Society_&_Culture/freedom.html

They are protesting the wedding out of pure racism, obviously. This sort of hatred is inculcated into Jewish children from birth on up, and it is extremely commonplace to hear about Jewish racial purity and Jewish racial superiority in this context. And, of course, daring to point out this blatant racism is called “anti-Semitism.”:rolleyes: But then, I don’t really blame Jews for their virulent racism, because without it they would not even exist. Had they allowed themselves to intermingle with other cultures they would have been swallowed up millennia ago, and the only way to avoid intermingling is by firmly establishing harsh and inflexible intergenerational rules regarding race-mixing and “racial purity.” This Jewish woman who married a Muslim will be mercilessly shamed as a warning to other Jewish females.

Good grief!

I know, that came across kind of harshly. A Jewish friend of mine recently gave me a couple magazine articles to read about American Jews dealing with this kind of stuff from militant Israeli Jews, and it’s something we talked about at length. I dunno, maybe right wing Muslims are protesting the marriage, too?:shrug:

I don’t think we have anything to talk about.

Imagine being “shunned” by your family because you married someone from an out group. As someone from a loving Christian family I find the idea impossible to fully grasp, but I have a friend who has explained it to me in very great, very minute detail.:frowning:

I would not call the conversation per you are speaking of as all negative, I think it is serious.

The Jews are everywhere, with this Summer’s World Cup, the long time announcer in Spanish was Andres Cantor, he’s from Argentina. He’s Jewish too, this took me by surprise as their are Jews in Japan who definitely look like they are from there. You can even look it up online.

I can think of plenty of mixed marriages between Christians where one side has shunned the other due to been from different Christian backgrounds. Or people who converted to Catholicism from other Christian traditions and were shunned.

Even Orthodox Israeli Jews don’t all think alike!

Yes, such things are also not unknown in the US, particularly among the most conservative/traditionalist segments of Christianity.

As for the protest outside the wedding in Israel, it is shameful. That a loving couple should be greeted by such a contingent as they emerge as a family, is deeply saddening. However, I wonder if their situation is not unlike the families of soldiers in the US, whose funerals were picketed by the Westboro Baptist Church. The courts in this country supported their right to protest, much as the Israeli court allowed the protest of the wedding.

Update:

Four far-right Jewish protesters have been arrested at the wedding of a Jewish-born woman who converted to Islam and an Arab Muslim man in Israel . . .

Supporters of the far-right Jewish Lehava group, who oppose the intermarriage of Arab Muslims and Jews, were granted permission to picket the wedding as long as they did not come within 200 metres of the wedding hall.

But four protesters were arrested for failing to follow police instructions, Israel’s Ynet News website reported.

bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-28831114

I think it is incredibly sad that this protest is going to take place. Both of them are Muslim although one is a Muslim convert. However, even if the one was still Jewish and the other Muslim, I still wouldn’t see anything wrong with their marriage. Of course, in Catholicism we are supposed to marry other Catholics but we can marry non-Christians if we have a dispensation from the bishop. This is based on the Bible.

Do not be mismated with unbelievers. For what partnership have righteousness and iniquity? Or what fellowship has light with darkness? What accord has Christ with Be’lial? Or what has a believer in common with an unbeliever? What agreement has the temple of God with idols? For we are the temple of the living God; as God said, “I will live in them and move among them, and I will be their God, and they shall be my people. Therefore come out from them, and be separate from them, says the Lord, and touch nothing unclean; then I will welcome you, and I will be a father to you, and you shall be my sons and daughters, says the Lord Almighty.”
(2 Corinthians 6:14-18 RSV-CE)

The bride’s father was opposed to the marriage, and had pledged not to attend the wedding. :frowning:

Several hundred protesters showed up at the wedding, along with dozens of counter-protesters who were there to lend support to the couple. In addition, hundreds of police were deployed to maintain order.

timesofisrael.com/over-vocal-protest-arab-jewish-wedding-goes-ahead/

Racism is wrong but I don’t know if this is necessarily about thinking in such a way that one says “he or she isn’t the right color, so I’m opposed to it”. Nothing against the Palestinians as people, some protesters might look at this and say “I lost a loved one to the Palestinians, in a bombing, a terror attack” and so I find this act abhorrent and let me state, I don’t know if Mansour is Palestinian, the article states “Arab”. It’s just something to consider, what if someone looked at it like this? “Sleeping with the enemy” as they say.

Converting to Islam is a disgusting betrayal for anyone but doubly so for someone who is Jewish. The desire to protest is understandable.

That may very well be your opinion and I respect your opinion but we do all have freedom of religion.

Of course she has freedom of religion but the Jewish people of Israel are facing the threat of extermination at the hands of the Islamic Borg collective (to borrow an equivalent for Islam from the Star Trek universe). The woman in the article has betrayed her people and has now assimilated. She was free to do that but that doesn’t mean people have to respect her for it.

Hi Exiled Child.
The notion that all Jews think the same way seems an awfully big generalization. One can find differences of opinions between Orthodox, Reformed and secular Jews on many issues.
It can also be a bit of a challenge to classify Jews racially. Being Jewish may be claimed through birth and traditionally was tracked matrilineally but it may also be claimed through conversion.
May God bless us all.
jt

Yes, indeed. Jews are noted for their internal disputes about all sorts of issues, somewhat like Jesuits, I believe. Even within the various movements, there is disagreement. Discussion and debate are inherent to the religion.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.