I joined the forums this afternoon, and I posted an introduction. I mentioned that I have mild scrupulosity/legalism/perfectionism, and I have a few questions that have really been bugging me recently. All I want to know is the truth. Does the Church have anything to say about this? Please specify whether you think each is a mortal sin, venial sin, imperfection, or nothing at all.
- What about exceeding speed limits by 0-5 mph in perfectly safe conditions, or in conditions where the traffic is overwhelmingly driving above the speed limit?
- What about things such as not using turn signal? I recently learned that I am required to signal 100 feet before every turn, even on my bike! If there is absolutely no traffic around, is it sinful to refrain from signaling or stopping at a stop sign, especially if I am on my bike?
- I often ride my bike through apartment complexes that I just realized are private property. There is a sign that says no thru traffic, but I think it is mainly directed at cars. There is a sort of gate, but bikes and pedestrians can easily go around it. I have gone through there consistently for over a year and no one has ever told me not to come through, and I have seen other non-residents pass through it. Most importantly, it is the safest way to get back into my neighborhood.
- What about school rules? I have heard from principal not to use cell phones in the bathroom/locker room, but sometimes I need to get in touch with my parents or check on something else, and this is the only way. It is not technically in the rulebook, however, and I have seen others doing it. Also, we are also not supposed to use cell phones during school hours without teacher permission, but in some places people do and the teachers never say anything. What about these situations?
- I enjoy listening to rock music, but sometimes there are a few bad words and unchristian themes. I try to avoid anything blatantly anti-Christian, but it is hard to do. I must emphasize that I listen because I enjoy the music, not because I want to embrace the ideas of the music. Is it a sin if I don’t change the station every time any bad word etc. comes up? Do you think I should stop listening to The Vengeful One by Distrurbed [musixmatch.com/lyrics/Disturbed/The-Vengeful-One]](https://www.musixmatch.com/lyrics/Disturbed/The-Vengeful-One]), even though I listen to it because I like the music, not necessarily the ideas?
- Finally, what about working on Sunday? I always try to avoid doing school work, yard work, cleaning, etc. on Sunday, but often I question whether it is OK to do something on Sunday. I know that going to Mass is the most important thing. I read that letting other things like sports and hobbies affect your Sunday schedule, i.e. when you go to Mass, is a sin. Is this correct? To what degree should I abstain from work on Sunday?
I cannot tell you how much I appreciate these responses. I have just been so confused about all this and praying about it for so long. It stresses me out and it is starting to damage the quality of my life. I absolutely want to follow God’s law, but I know that Jesus told the Pharisees to overall follow the spirit of the law. Once again, please mention whether you think each is a mortal sin, venial sin, imperfection, or nothing at all.
Sorry if this is the wrong section to post, I am new here.