Issues with pre pregnancy check up

Hey yall. Had my pre pregnancy check up this morning. Everything looks great and my PCOS seems to be in remission THANK GOD! but some of the stuff is going to be tough. need some help on how to adjust.

1. no caffiene. This is going to be a toughy. I needs my morning cup of coffee and my afternoon diet coke! how do I deal with the exhaustion?

2. eat three meals a day. Ok I DONT EAT BREAKFAST. I am usually queezy in the morning and the prenatal vitamins are NOT helping. I dont eat breakfast usually pick at my lunch but normally do eat dinner. any ideas?

3. keep stress low. HAHAHA ok…that may be the toughest of all, im a wife, a daughter and a sister and a full time student, I eat sleep and breath stress!

4. I quit smoking since we decided to try and conceive but and having one heck of a time staying quit. Any success stories with quiting?

5. No alcohol. this is fine and dandy by me, I dont like to drink unless with friends. no issue at all. except hubbies cousins wedding is coming up. These are country folk and theres usually quite a bit of drinking going on and I have always been a part of their party scenes. So when im not drinking what do I say since we have decided to keep this between us?

Other than that everything is great! I am right on track to have a beautiful healthy baby very soon God willing!

I hope someone in the know will specifically answer this one. We’ve been trying to concieve for awhile now; I’ve cut back on most caffiene, but am paranoid that morning cup of coffee is hurting our chances? Anybody know? I hope not, 'cause my poor co-workers won’t like it if I have to give up my coffee! :smiley:

I have no personal experience to offer, but from what I’m told:

1. Daily exercise is good to combat tiredness. You don’t have to go for a marathon or anything, but a nice vigorous walk, some weightlifting, pilates, whatever works for you…

2. My mother says she ate a lot of saltine crackers when she was having morning sickness. I hear eggs are easy on the stomach too. Talk to your dr. about vitamin supplements as well.

3. Stress: Hmm. If you figure this one out, let the rest of us know. :slight_smile: Have DH give you a backrub from time to time, or help you with things that stress you out. Enjoy your showers. Laugh a lot. Watch silly movies, if you have a moment. I hear daily exercise is also really good for this one. Exercise seems to be good for almost anything. Do you walk around a lot when you go to your classes?

4. Never been a smoker, myself so I can’t comment on that one. Good job deciding to quit, though. :slight_smile:

5. If a simple “no, thank you” isn’t good enough you could always be a designated driver, or say you’re trying to eat healthier, or something. Hopefully, everyone will be enjoying themselves too much to care about who isn’t drinking. :slight_smile:

Good luck to you and your (soon to be growing) family!

OH, I just thought of another one for #5. Just get one and fill it about half way up and carry the same one around all night. :wink: Maybe pretend to take a sip every now and then.

My husband finally quit after his second ER trip with pleurosy (feels like you’re having a heart attack). We used those nicotine lozenges. Trouble is he wanted to make them a permanent replacement for cigarettes! I ended up hiding the box from him and giving him his day’s supply every morning before he went to work, gradually reducing the amount I gave him every morning. Finally, it was “this is the only lozenge you’re getting today, use it carefully.” :wink: Then he binged on lemonheads for a couple weeks, and then kicked those. He needed something harsh in his mouth! This was about 3 1/2 years ago.:slight_smile:

Glad to hear that all else is GREAT though!

All I can say is exercise and moderation. No specific advice, except that “breakfast foods” aren’t usually great as breakfast foods. Toast, yes, but fruit- too acidic; eggs, sausage, bacon, biscuits and gravy… all too heavy for breakfast IMO.

Try to start with a glass a milk instead of full-out breakfast. It won’t upset your stomach (unless you’re lactose intolerant), it’s not empty calories, and it is more filling than water.

Don’t forget drinking your water!!

Why zero caffeine? The amount of caffeine in one cup of coffee a day will hurt the baby about as much as drinking the Precious Blood on Sundays :wink: But maybe your doctor is telling you to cut it out completely because of other reasons–did he/she explain?

As for the daily diet coke, a caffeine-free regular coke would be a better alternative, and even better would be fruit juice or milk. I was raised on diet coke and it is something that I’m missing during pregnancy. But from what I’ve read, the verdict is still out on the safety of aspartame on developing babies. Besides, it gives you the opportunity to make a little sacrifice for the intention of conceiving soon :slight_smile:

My mom found out we were trying to conceive when I refused alcohol at a family get-together. Of course she asked why I didn’t want any, and I said “Because we might have a baby!” So have your excuse ready. A good one might be, “I’ve been feeling like (non-alcoholic drink) all day! Maybe I’ll have some wine later,” and leave it at that.

The reason your doc wants you to cut out the caffiene is that it affects your fertility and risk of miscarriage.

This website has a summary of research studies concerning effects of various studies on fertility, miscarriage and fetal defects: chem-tox.com/infertility/ It’s kind of overwhelming, at least to me, but it does have interesting information. Search the page for “caffiene” if you don’t want to read the whole thing.

It also has info about smoking, which may give you one more reason to walk away when you really want to smoke.

I hope you get pregnant soon!

Janelle

The fantastic, amazing, terrific, awesome book by Marilyn Shannon, “Fertility, Cycles and Nutrition” answers a lot of your questions & then some. Can’t recommend it highly enough to you, especially since you’re in the trying to conceive stage. Your nutrition now is almost more important than that during a pregnancy.

I guess all of these issues/challenges are going to be good practice for the non-stop, 24/7 selfless acts of denial that parenthood requires of us, eh? When there are things like these that must be done, you just find a way to do them. Then you look back in a few months and say, “hey, I guess I did it. What was so hard about that?”

Seriously…buy the book & read it over & over…

Like others said, you really don’t have to worry about making yourself eat a certain amount of food during pregnancy. After you conceive, your doctor will probably want to see a certain amount of weight gain at every check-up, but your body will let you know if you’re eating too little. You might lose weight due to morning sickness, but you’ll probably gain enough during the 2nd and 3rd trimesters to make up for it if you listen to your body.

However, eating small meals frequently is a good idea in general and especially when trying to conceive. Going many hours without food is bad for your health in many ways and may affect fertility. No need to eat -more- (unless you’re underweight), but spreading it out can’t hurt!

Just a thought or two. You may be tired and relying on caffine because you are not eating enough. You body needs fuel . . . when you don’t eat breakfast, your metabolism shuts down (so you don’t feel hungry) which makes you more tired. I’ve never had a problem eating breakfast, so I can’t help there, but others have had good suggestions. As for the alcohol, you can always order a “kiddie cocktail” when no one’s listening and they’ll never know. As for the vitamens . . . can you take them at night? I never could get mine down in the AM, especially once morning sickness set in. But I took mine at dinner. Might try that.

MJ

That’s a great website! TarAshly also mentioned that her husband has issues with fertility due to diabetes, and that website has info on lifestyle changes for men’s fertility too.

I saw that it said that even one cup of coffee per day can decrease fertility, so TarAshly probably wants to cut it all out since she already has several things hindering her fertility as it is. However, once pregnant, one cup per day should be fine. “Coffee drinking before and during pregnancy was associated with over twice the risk of miscarriage when the mother consumed 2-3 cups of coffee per day.” --from the above website. I think I remember hearing that you run into problems with birth defects when you get up to 4-5 cups per day :eek: And also one cup or less per day was not associated with any higher outcome than no coffee at all. But who knows, it seems like every other month a new study comes out to contradict a previous one :whacky: Thank goodness I don’t drink coffee and don’t have to worry about it!

Congratulations!

1. no caffiene. This is going to be a toughy. I needs my morning cup of coffee and my afternoon diet coke! how do I deal with the exhaustion?

HA! I TRIED to give up caffiene… that didn’t work! I lowered my coffee intake to 1 cup a day… but I had to have a soda to keep the morning sickness at bay…

1. eat three meals a day. Ok I DONT EAT BREAKFAST. I am usually queezy in the morning and the prenatal vitamins are NOT helping. I dont eat breakfast usually pick at my lunch but normally do eat dinner. any ideas?

Try some dry saltines… and do some google searches on morning sickness remedies… everyone’s is different, so I can’t guarantee what worked for me will work for you…
Besides, I still puked every single day, regardless of what remedy I tried! :rolleyes:

1. keep stress low. HAHAHA ok…that may be the toughest of all, im a wife, a daughter and a sister and a full time student, I eat sleep and breath stress!

GOSH do I understand! :stuck_out_tongue:

1. I quit smoking since we decided to try and conceive but and having one heck of a time staying quit. Any success stories with quiting?

No advice, I’m not a smoker… but good luck and keep up the good work!

1. No alcohol. this is fine and dandy by me, I dont like to drink unless with friends. no issue at all. except hubbies cousins wedding is coming up. These are country folk and theres usually quite a bit of drinking going on and I have always been a part of their party scenes. So when im not drinking what do I say since we have decided to keep this between us?

Just keep it to a minimum… hold a beer in your hand and just sip at it…
Even when your pregnant, extremely light drinking won’t necessarily cause harm…

Other than that everything is great! I am right on track to have a beautiful healthy baby very soon God willing!

AWESOME… congrats and God bless!

Thanks everyone for all of the great advice! I am sure I am going to need loads more once I am pregnant and ESPECIALLY once baby is here. Thanks again for everything and please keep it coming, I could use all the advice I can get! this is totally new to me!:smiley:

You think you need it, but you really don’t. I used to drink a normal amount of caffeine, and now I drink NONE. I can’t, it’ll keep me up till the wee hours of the morning, even if I drink decaf tea which still has a little caffeine in it.
I would suggest switching to decaf coffee and go to bed 1 hour earlier. Do you like tea? Herbal tea or something like hot apple cider would both be great.
Aftificial sweetners are bad, especially for growing babies. Switch to Sprite, Sierra Mist, Root Beer if you’re “needing” soda/pop. Other ideas are good ole water, lemonaide, fruit juice, milk (including chocolate or flavored milk).
Try to mostly just drink WATER!!

1. eat three meals a day. Ok I DONT EAT BREAKFAST. I am usually queezy in the morning and the prenatal vitamins are NOT helping. I dont eat breakfast usually pick at my lunch but normally do eat dinner. any ideas?

Take the prenatal vitamin at another time of day.
Try eating a piece of fruit for breakfast, or a piece of toast, or some yogurt. Or here’s an idea, and it can replace your coffee at the same time. You need a blender. Make yourself a smoothie. Add milk, juice, and/or yogurt. Add some fruit such as banana, strawberry, peaches, etc (try frozen berries too). I made one the other day that had a little milk, a little yogurt, a banana, a few strawberries, and a few ice cubes. It was good.

1. keep stress low. HAHAHA ok…that may be the toughest of all, im a wife, a daughter and a sister and a full time student, I eat sleep and breath stress!

Learn some relaxation exercises. Take some time for yourself. Try a hot bath, reading a magazine, getting exercise (if you’re not one who normally exercises, try yoga, pilates, Jazzercise, exercise videos, or walking…just something that you can do a couple times a week and enjoy it)

1. I quit smoking since we decided to try and conceive but and having one heck of a time staying quit. Any success stories with quiting?

I’m not a smoker but I can imagine how hard it is!

1. No alcohol. this is fine and dandy by me, I dont like to drink unless with friends. no issue at all. except hubbies cousins wedding is coming up. These are country folk and theres usually quite a bit of drinking going on and I have always been a part of their party scenes. So when im not drinking what do I say since we have decided to keep this between us?

Get a gingerale with a cherry and a little umbrella and who’s going to know!

Just try to make little changes toward your goal, and you’ll get there! If you backtrack, just keep trying!

I highly recommend The Family Nutrition Book by Dr. Sears.

Just a note about the prenatal vitamins: they made me queasy, too, until I started taking them in the evening. Now, by the time I wake in the morning, I’m fine. Try taking them just before bed!

I wish you the best of luck, but I have to ask … whatever happened to just taking your folic acid, gettin’ down with your hubby, and hoping for the best? We are hoping to conceive our second child this month and I’m not giving up coffee, wine, or stress (I don’t smoke and never have, thank God) until A) I get two pink lines or B) it’s clear we need to be more aggressive in our efforts to conceive. Even after that, a daily cup of coffee and/or an occasional glass of wine isn’t going to hurt anyone. And stress – well, we really can’t control that, can we? (At least it’s always the things that are out of my control that tend to stress ME out. But I’m a bit of a control freak. Pray for me!)

If you use NFP and have no serious underlying issues, it should be fairly easy to conceive a baby – have plenty of relations with DH just before, during and after ovulation. I’m all for getting a checkup beforehand (I did), but past that … why give up things you enjoy earlier than you need to? That seems like it would be stressful in and of itself – depriving yourself as if you were already pregnant, only to feel like it was for nothing if you don’t conceive right away? I say relax and let it happen with joy!

After all, how many perfectly healthy babies are conceived BECAUSE Mom was a little tipsy that night?! Think about that!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.