It bothers me that the Priest uses a microphone

I propone that the acoustics in a basilica style church are good enough to pray without the use of speakers. Is the microphone necessary?

Sometimes depending on the size of the church and the priest's ability to project his voice without straining his vocal chords. Right now we've been having whispered Masses because our priest lost his voice two weeks ago from doing the entire Triduum without a microphone.

And think of all the people who it would be bothered if they could not hear the priest.

I have never understood this. We have the technology now that will allow a priest to be heard, why not use it? I have exceptional hearing, I joke about being able to hear a pin drop on the carpet, but nothing annoys more me that hearing the muffled words of a priest without a microphone, or with a mic/soundsytem that is not working properly. It reminds me of the way the adults speak in the 'Peanuts" cartoons. :stuck_out_tongue:

Am in both camps here in that yes there are times I wouldn't hear anything at all and our church is small enough. Just that I am partially deaf. The weeks I am serving I hear the sermon, some weeks better than others. I have been known to entirely miss the sermon through not hearing it no matter how hard I listened and that with the microphone on:(

At the same time the mircrophone causes me discomfort in that when the sound goes etc I nearly always react though do not want to as don't want to become one of those always reacting etc

But also for those with tloop systems on their hearing aids, this only works through the microphone and yes it makes an audible difference in that really do hear what is going on. Many a priest think their voice is loud and clear enough but not when you are as good as deaf and really do need hearing aids and tloops.

It bothers me more that I need computer access to help with contemplative prayer in that the tracts are free when listening from the computer and I can't afford to buy cd's :blush:

[quote="Oneofthewomen, post:3, topic:322829"]
And think of all the people who it would be bothered if they could not hear the priest.

I have never understood this. We have the technology now that will allow a priest to be heard, why not use it? I have exceptional hearing, I joke about being able to hear a pin drop on the carpet, but nothing annoys more me that hearing the muffled words of a priest without a microphone, or with a mic/soundsytem that is not working properly. It reminds me of the way the adults speak in the 'Peanuts" cartoons. :p

[/quote]

:thumbsup:

Nothing wrong with using available technology. Would you prefer to have no electric lights and only use ambient lighting? Same dif.

I would suggest the next time you go to Mass you pray and reflect and maybe even rejoice...

that God has inspired minds to use their creativity to invent microphones and sound systems so that those who have vocal problems can still offer Mass and preach the Word and those who are hearing problems are not shut out from hearing the Word of God.

Is the OP talking about the personal microphone (a "wired" priest)?

In "olden days," haha, or in older churches, priests stood at lecturns where there were definitely microphones. (And there are still lecturns in every Catholic Church I have ever visited.) They stood there static, and preached -- actually usually read, verbatim -- either from notes, or they read a complete homily/sermon.

Now many priests, if not most, have the option of a "portable" microphone. I have noticed that overwhelmingly it has freed priests to be more dynamic in their preaching. Without having to carry a microphone, they can move around and their voice can project throughout the Church. I think it has improved preaching.

One could simply stand at the lecturn. (And some still do -- even "wired") But now they have the option of a fixed-place homily or one which allows them to move their bodies. Some priests are very expressive (using their arms and hands a lot to emphasize points). I think it has encouraged a non-dependence on notes (for those who choose that), and more engaged homilies. I think the movement also encourages interest by the congregation. (That's just what I've observed anyway.)

this is being to critical if you are concerned about this, while its nice to have a beautiful church its nice to have great acoustics that isn't what matters in the grand scheme of things what matters is that you worship Christ who is your savior and through the mass. If the priest feels that using a microphone that everyone can hear will help people come closer to Christ then let him do it. What may be a good compromise though is get a professional sound engineer to come in and balance the sound system to it doesn't stick out and the ambient noise of the Church still have its effect. This is the case at my home parish my seminary Church which is a monastic church and beautiful church and at times you can barley tell they use mics except when they go off and you can barely hear them.

Should we get rid of AC, and heat as well as the electric lights and sound? Please I have a hard enough time hearing with the mikes. Yes there are times at a daily Mass when everyone can sit up close enough. We also have had a couple of now electric power Masses where everyone tried to project their voices. But I am thankful that I can hear most of the time. (Not every Church has great acoustics.

I can understand mics for the readings and homily, but when they’re used for the whole liturgy I don’t like the atmosphere it tends to create. I understand the reasons for it, I just don’t like it.

I’m completely fine with mics but speaker placement bothers me sometimes. If I’m right next to a speaker, it’s distracting. The sound should come from the direction of the altar/lectern.

Choirs, on the other hand, shouldn’t need mics.

[quote="tritcher1988, post:1, topic:322829"]
I propone that the acoustics in a basilica style church are good enough to pray without the use of speakers. Is the microphone necessary?

[/quote]

I disagree.

Our Cathedral is built in a basilica style, and when the priest's microphone is not working (which has happened a few times) you can't hear what he says in the pews unless he's yelling.

I think the use of mics helps more than harms the Mass. I could see it being distracting if the sound system tended to get feedback, but I haven't personally encountered a lot of issue with this.

I can understand the argument about the choirs not needing mics, but in all fairness the "choir" in many Catholic Churches consists of only a handful of people, some of which are untrained volunteers without a whole lot of ability to project their voices.

I pretty much agree with the OP...although I suppose with the the priestly community getting older and frail there can be exceptions.

[quote="Carolus_Martell, post:15, topic:322829"]
I pretty much agree with the OP...although I suppose with the the priestly community getting older and frail there can be exceptions.

[/quote]

If you've looked around the pews recently, it ain't just the "priestly community" that's getting older and more frail. And I hardly think that a sound system, especially in a "basilica style" church, needs to be an exception.

[quote="Tarpeian_Rock, post:16, topic:322829"]
If you've looked around the pews recently, it ain't just the "priestly community" that's getting older and more frail. And I hardly think that a sound system, especially in a "basilica style" church, needs to be an exception.

[/quote]

It's not just older people who have hearing difficulties. More studies show that young people are suffering hearing loss due to listening to loud music!

[quote="Cat, post:17, topic:322829"]
It's not just older people who have hearing difficulties. More studies show that young people are suffering hearing loss due to listening to loud music!

[/quote]

That's what amplification of musical intruments and voices will do to you. :)

One could always bring ear plugs to church, though. I've been tempted to myself.

I would say it depends largely on the church.

In a small chapel? No need for a microphone on most occasions.
Cathedral for the Chrism Mass? The microphone's a must.

There are other things that come into play too. If the church has one of the old ambos with the top that's meant to help project your voice in the direction of the people, then a microphone is less necessary. If it has one of the lectern style ambos, it may be more vital.

[quote="HoosMommie, post:6, topic:322829"]
Nothing wrong with using available technology. Would you prefer to have no electric lights and only use ambient lighting? Same dif.

[/quote]

OK, but allow me to extrapolate that thought a little further...

What if the priest were permitted to use an iPad or similar device to read the Gospel and the Eucharistic Prayer?

I suspect most people are fine with the microphones because we are used to them. But if "available technology" (i.e., mobile devices) were allowed at the altar, I can picture everyone screaming bloody murder.

Just trying to stir the pot :D

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.