It is more blessed to give than to receive

In a discussion with a Protestant friend, one of his criticisms went along this line: how can the Catholic Church declare Mother Teresa a saint? she did not perform any healing miracle while alive. I wonder if any of you have heard this argument before and what do you think of it?

I told him first of all I do not know enough about Mother Teresa to know if she performed a healing miracle or not while alive but I know what Scripture tells us (because when talking to Protestants they only wanna hear about Scripture):
‘In all things I have shown you that by so toiling one must help the weak, remembering the words of the Lord Jesus, how he said, ‘It is more blessed to give than to receive’’ Acts 20:35
So I think Mother Teresa wholly embodied this passage in her life and work and the Church fully recognized this.

3 Likes

Consider Matthew 25. One of the characteristics that separates the sheep from the goats was caring for the sick. Jesus didn’t say anything about performing miracles.

This also illustrates a misunderstanding of what it means to be a saint. It means you’re in heaven. We look for miracles prior to canonization as a sign that the person is truly in heaven.

The Church didn’t just canonize her on a whim. I am sure they had their documented proof that she deserved to be canonized or she wouldn’t have been.

I agree. It is a common misconception by some Protestants that all Catholic saints are said to perform miracles during their lifetime. This has never been a requirement for sainthood as far as I know.

One doesn’t have to perform miracles while alive to be a Saint. There only has to be miracles associated with the intercession of that person after their death in order for that person to be beatified and canonized a Saint. Also, note that just because someone isn’t canonized a Saint doesn’t mean they are one. It just means that we don’t yet know if they are or not.

There are at least two healing miracles said to be by her intercession.
One in 2003 and one in 2008

The argument doesn’t quite pass the sniff test. Is your Protestant friend really that close to accepting Mother Teresa as a saint? All he needs are two miracles and he’s onboard with Catholic teaching about who’s a saint? Or, is there another motive behind the question?

1 Like

It is one more argument against Catholicism… my friend is nowhere close to becoming Catholic much closer to being anti-Catholic

1 Like

That’s what I suspected. Just reassure your friend it’s ok for him to pray to her since she really is a saint. Offer to pray with him right then and there. :rofl:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.