It is Never necessary to perform a direct abortion to save the mother

The findings of the international Symposium on Maternal Healthcare was held in Dublin on the 8th September.
The above statement is a summary of their findings.
Ireland is one of the few countries where abortion is illegal. They have one of the lowest rates of maternal death anywhere in the world, and were stated to be the best in the world in 2005 by the WHO

Here’s a news article about thier declaration

Here’s their own Website:

The symposium’s final determinations were published in a declaration titled “Dublin Declaration on Maternal Healthcare” which reads:

"As experienced practitioners and researchers in Obstetrics and Gynaecology, we affirm that direct abortion is not medically necessary to save the life of a woman.

"We uphold that there is a fundamental difference between abortion, and necessary medical treatments that are carried out to save the life of the mother, even if such treatment results in the loss of life of her unborn child.

“We confirm that the prohibition of abortion does not affect, in any way, the availability of optimal care to pregnant women.”

"It was fascinating to learn about new therapies involving the safe delivery of chemotherapy during pregnancy and the exciting field of in-utero fetal surgery, " stated Dr Eoghan de Faoite, a member of the symposium’s organizing committee. “This Symposium puts an end to the false argument that Ireland needs abortion to treat women, and it was encouraging to hear the international speakers commend Ireland’s high standards of maternal healthcare and low rates of maternal mortality.”

Recent studies have determined that countries where abortion is illegal or severely restricted enjoy the lowest maternal mortality rates. plosone.org/article/info%3Adoi%2F10.1371%2Fjournal.pone.0036613

“The International Symposium on Excellence in Maternal Healthcare has affirmed what Personhood amendments have sought to establish – that there is no situation in which it is necessary to dismember and kill an innocent child,” commented Personhood USA spokesperson Jennifer Mason. “Here in the United States, we have some of the most radical abortion laws in the world, and our women and children suffer as a result. As Youth Defence in Ireland seeks to keep Ireland abortion-free and safer for women and children, Personhood USA will never stop attempting to abolish abortion in the United States to seek the same standard of healthcare and protection for moms and babies.”

Read more here: sacbee.com/2012/09/11/4810093/medical-symposiums-findings-that.html#storylink=cpy

Quoted from the above linked news article. I cant find the declaraition on the official website yet.

Good for them for standing up for the Truth and not giving in to social pressures.

Now if only the US would listen to reason…

… listen to reason?
I used to work for a hospital.
If it made sense, saved time, saved money, improved morale, decreased sick time, increased employee satisfaction, decreased expense but most of all if it made sense, it was against policy.
I’m afraid that’s in the same category as the US listening to reason.
(My apologies for being rather jaded and for the brief rant. Too many years working for folk who must’ve written the rules for that hospital.)

Did those people even read the study they quoted :confused:

Here’s the quote from the 50 year study as it relates to abortion:

Increasing education level appears to favourably impact the downward trend in the MMR, modulating other key factors such as access and utilization of maternal health facilities, changes in women’s reproductive behaviour and improvements of the sanitary system. Consequently, different MDGs can act synergistically to improve maternal health.

The reduction in the MMR is not related to the legal status of abortion.

It is the education of women that has the most significant impact on the maternal mortality ratio, followed by access to clean water and services.

Sarah x :slight_smile:

That on it’s own does not explain why in western countries with high literacy rates, it is those countries with Restricted or total bans on abortion that have the lowest MMR.

The point is they didn’t base this on just one study but on many many sources.
you cant take one sentence out of one source and try to use it to shoot down a consensus position that included that one study as part of it’s input.

Over 140 medical professionals attended the Symposium where new research and extensive clinical experience was presented by experts in obstetrics and gynecology, mental health, and molecular epidemiology. The symposium’s final determinations were published in a declaration titled “Dublin Declaration on Maternal Healthcare” which reads:

"As experienced practitioners and researchers in Obstetrics and Gynaecology, we affirm that*** direct abortion is not medically necessary to save the life of a woman.

"We uphold that there is a fundamental difference between abortion, and necessary medical treatments that are carried out to save the life of the mother, even if such treatment results in the loss of life of her unborn child.

“We confirm that the prohibition of abortion does not affect, in any way, the availability of optimal care to pregnant women.”

"It was fascinating to learn about new therapies involving the safe delivery of chemotherapy during pregnancy and the exciting field of in-utero fetal surgery, " stated Dr Eoghan de Faoite, a member of the symposium’s organizing committee. “This Symposium puts an end to the false argument that Ireland needs abortion to treat women, and it was encouraging to hear the international speakers commend Ireland’s high standards of maternal healthcare and low rates of maternal mortality.”

Read more here: sacbee.com/2012/09/11/4810093/medical-symposiums-findings-that.html#storylink=cpy

AND the Medical Profession stands UP and becomes great again! Truth ought to be a part of the healing arts at all times. The mandatory political glasses have been surgically removed and lo, Doctors become healers first – and last.

The care for the woman is evident, contempt for the child is absent.

Now, is it "ever necessary’ for an actual doctor who heals and cures and treats patients for their welfare and benefit to call an abortionist a “colleague” or indeed “Doctor”?

That would be a question of language and ethics I suppose. I’d LIKE it - but if Doctors stick to healing as they have done here - without caving to the social pressures of zealously propogated political social engineering, I’m good with that. :slight_smile:

(It IS “Never Necessary” to call an abortionist a doctor, IMO).

Hello Sister,

I saw your post and your religion and just as I was getting ready to pronounce judgement on you as pro-abortion, I saw your signature :). Beautiful. Indeed, reason alone (not religion) tells us that abortion cannot be ok. The basis of the argument is a blatant lie- unborn babies are not human persons.

I have always used that argument in your signature to show reasonable people of good will why abortion is incompatible with human rights or civil society. That is: the slavery of Africans and discrimantion laws in the US even under a constitution that supposedly protected human rights, in addition to the Nazi treatment of Jews in early 20th century under a pretext that they were not like the Germans and did not have the same value or nature. I never get why people do not see the parallels. It’s so obvious to me! :shrug:

Being African, I’m especially horrified when I meet other people of my descent who would argue that a baby is not human simply because it’s still in the womb, in order to give an absolute right of choice to the mother over any right of life of the child- then they call it ‘‘women’s rights’’- as if the baby girls killed without question are not also female members of the human race who should be protected. We live in a world that has justified centuries of slavery and murder of Africans, genocide in nazi-Germany and Rwanda, by dehumanizing the victims. Once you classify anything as ‘‘not human’’, you release yourself from the obligation of conscience not to harm, mistreat or murder it except for the most necessary and unavoidable reasons (like to stop a murderer from killing you, self defense).

Just wanted to comment on that. :thumbsup:

As to the OP, if medicine is based on science, and the West values science, how could abortion still be permitted in those Western countries under a pretext of women’s rights? Doesn’t the study show that abortion is harmful to women? Shouldn’t that matter to legislators and students of jurisprudence and mostly to feminists?

there will be abortion in Ireland shortly, there has been numerous referendums on abortion in ireland each one defeated but the last one in effect didn’t give a choice for no abortion it didn’t matter if you voted yes or no, the legislation in regard to that vote had never been put in place till now,
the government seems intent on forcing it on us, to bring us into the real world.:mad:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.