It is OK to copy music from cd's to my computer and Ipod?

Cd’s that I bought or received as gifts, or got from the library? I’ve read stuff online that says you are allowed to make ONE copy of music you purchased, but what about transferring it to my ipod, since i think this copies it to do it. And what about about brand new Cd’s I won in contests or got as presents? And what about library Cd’s? I didn’t personally buy these obviously, but they are purchased with tax money, and therefore belong in part to everyone in the community, at least everyone who pays taxes. As far as I can tell the copyright laws don’t mention these circumstances, but am I violating the law by doing this? Do I need to delete copies of music from these cd’s that are on my ipod?

If you purchased them legally then it is alright because these days few people carry cd’s around with them when we have other electronic devices available. Library cd’s is a gray area because technically speaking you did not purchase it and yet it is available to borrow. I would be interested to hear what others say on this point. If they are already on your ipod, I wouldn’t delete them but I also think if you can afford it, to try to purchase some of the music when you can. When you copy someone else’s music you are taking away the money from all of the workers who created it.

What do you mean by someone else’s music? I no longer copy music from other people’s cd’s, as I now know that is wrong, but what about cd’s that others gave me as gifts, or as part of a contest?

No, it’s perfectly fine. It’s your music, you can listen to it however you want. You own it.

If I own a legal CD (whether purchased or given as a gift), I have it downloaded on my computer and MP3 player and will play it on either as it is for my personal use. When I buy a CD from Amazon, they automatically give me a free download, however, if the CD is a gift, I delete the download. If anyone offers or gives me a computer CD with an album on it, I will refuse or destroy it.

Singers and musicians need to eat just like the rest of us, and for me, illegal downloads are the same as stealing a purse or wallet. Besides, most of my CD’s are Christian music and I could not get over the guilt of denying Brother Alessandro the money to use for God or basically stealing from nuns. That is me. I can’t do it. I am the type of person who will never pay cash in hand to avoid tax.

CD’s that you own you may copy for your own personal use. Not so with the library CD’s. They don’t belong to you. Not even a little bit. They belong to the library. Oh, and btw, the copyright laws do apply.

Note commenting here on what is fine or not - that not my point. My point is that one does NOT own the music. Those who own the copyright own the music (the creator…) --one purchases the right to listen to it…

Does the copyright law for the US mention the circumstance of copying library CDs? If so, what does it say?

One does not own the music.

Not commenting here on what is fine or not - that not my point. My point is that one does NOT own the music. Those who own the copyright own the music (the creator…) --one purchases the right to listen to it…

Music does not belong to the library either…it belongs to the artists etc.

Section 109 permits the owner of a lawfully made copy to dispose of it by lending or any other means. This is called the First Sale Doctrine because it permits copyright owners to control only the first sale of a work. After that first sale, copyright owners are out of the loop when it comes to earning a share of any revenues that result from passing the book or periodical on to others. This is the basic legal foundation of our public library system. It also allows book owners to sell their books at garage sales without permission from or payment to the copyright owner.
This right to dispose of a copy does not include the right to make more copies. If copies must be made to facilitate lending, they are typically authorized by other sections of the law, such as Sections 107 or 108, or by the copyright owner. Currently, libraries make copies of print materials in order to lend them to other librarian’s patrons in interlibrary loans. They also make copies for their own patrons (research copies and reserve copies) and for archival purposes (preservation and replacement). The right to make copies under Sections 107 and 108 in the print environment is thus subsidiary to the more fundamental lending right under Section 109.

See more:

copyright.lib.utexas.edu/l-diglib.html

I agree, but that’s probably not what me meant. I’ll often say “my music” because it’s easier than saying “the music I bought” or " the music I downloaded."

Ya saying “hey I am listening to the song …which is owned by …which I have the legal right now to listen to via my purchase of said right”…might take too long.

Really? If I download something “illegally,” who have I stolen* from?

*the legal concept is actually one of “theft,” meaning taking something or depriving its use from its legal owner. So, the question is, if I commit “theft” by downloading something “illegally” from a person who owns the cd, then who was the theft against?

I don’t see what’s so bad about copying still.

Isn’t the Old Testament “technically” a Jewish compilation of documents that the Catholic Church “copied?”

Why would copying a song be any different? Or recording a show on television with a DVD recorder?

From what I’ve seen, the whole downloading/piracy thing has never been directly addressed by the Catholic Church, only interpreted by people at CAF. It’s all opinion still. Some priests say it’s okay, and it bothers others. :shrug:

What do you think Jesus would have said to a boy copying CD’s in the temple court yard?

I don’t know, I’m not God.

The law is quite clear.

1. You bought a legal copy. The owner of the work got his money. Why would you make another copy?

“Uploading or downloading works protected by copyright without the authority of the copyright owner is an infringement of the copyright owner’s exclusive rights of reproduction and/or distribution. Anyone found to have infringed a copyrighted work may be liable for statutory damages up to $30,000 for each work infringed and, if willful infringement is proven by the copyright owner, that amount may be increased up to $150,000 for each work infringed. In addition, an infringer of a work may also be liable for the attorney’s fees incurred by the copyright owner to enforce his or her rights.”

The following may appear unrelated but includes relevant information:

"Can I backup my computer software?

"Yes, under certain conditions as provided by section 117 of the Copyright Act. Although the precise term used under section 117 is “archival” copy, not “backup” copy, these terms today are used interchangeably. This privilege extends only to computer programs and not to other types of works.

"Under section 117, you or someone you authorize may make a copy of an original computer program if:

the new copy is being made for archival (i.e., backup) purposes only;
you are the legal owner of the copy; and
any copy made for archival purposes is either destroyed, or transferred with the original copy, once the original copy is sold, given away, or otherwise transferred.

"You are not permitted under section 117 to make a backup copy of other material on a computer’s hard drive, such as other copyrighted works that have been downloaded (e.g., music, films).

“It is also important to check the terms of sale or license agreement of the original copy of software in case any special conditions have been put in place by the copyright owner that might affect your ability or right under section 117 to make a backup copy. There is no other provision in the Copyright Act that specifically authorizes the making of backup copies of works other than computer programs even if those works are distributed as digital copies.”

Source: US Copyright Office

Peace,
Ed

But law is something that can be changed by people, not a divine law set in stone.

For example, in Russia, it is far more lax on copying video games made in the United States.

It makes a bit of discord when U.S. Law is applied to the entire planet.

Here’s the official answer, straight from the RIAA. **Absolutely it is legal, absolutely it is moral. **

From about.com:
mp3.about.com/od/digitalmusicfaq/f/CDripping_legal.htm

Under US copyright law, if you convert (rip) an original CD that you own to digital files, then this qualifies as ‘Fair Use’. As long as you use it for your own personal use and don’t distribute the copyrighted material to others, then you will not be breaking the law.

Well of course you don’t own the music in that sense, obviously I didn’t meant that. If you did, it would mean that every time you bought a CD or digital album, you would be entitled to royalties on it. That’s ridiculous, of course that’s not what I meant.

You own a license for your personal use. The individual in question is not allowing others to exercise a license over the music. It is merely for personal use.

The #1 digital media download source in the U.S. is iTunes. iTunes has contracts with all of the major record labels (or the RIAA, or both, or whatever, point being, they have an agreement.) A few years back, iTunes used to allow you to burn songs purchased on iTunes on up to 3 or 5 CDs or something like that. Now that restriction has been removed, and there’s probably some kind of legaleese that theoretically limits you legally, but the point being, of course you are allowed to make copies of music that you own to enjoy for your own purposes. If you weren’t, then the RIAA/record labels would have sued iTunes for billions years ago.

iphoneincanada.ca/app-store/apple-faces-chinese-lawsuit-over-selling-unauthorized-movies-through-itunes/

Peace,
Ed

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.