It is right for a priest to mandatory collect (ARANCEL) PAYMENTS?

It is right for a priest to ask payment for sacramentals and sacraments? Such as baptism, marriage, blessing of the buildings, house, cars, crucifix and so on.? Are stipend Mandatory to be collected? I thought that sacraments and sacramentals are not for sale according to what i read in the Catechism of the Catholic Church. But how the Church or a parish survive if the donations from the parishioners is not enough for the needs of the Parish?

Stipends for sacraments-- baptism, marriage, etc-- are set by the Bishop within the bounds of canon law and those stipends go to the works of charity fund in the parish. They do not go to the individual priest nor do they go in to the regular parish accounts. A person can voluntarily give a priest something in addition to the stipend given to the parish. If a person truly cannot afford to give a stipend, then that is OK.

Does the priest typically collect the money? Depends on the parish, but I would say largely yes because people tend to bring the money with them to the baptism, marriage, or whatever, and hand it to the priest. Others might give the money at another time, such as to the parish staff in the office.

Stipends for Mass intentions are also governed by canon law and the particular law of the diocese. Those monies go into a segregated account also, not the parish funds. The priest is paid at the time he says the Mass. The priest may receive one stipend per day, except on Christmas when he can receive 3. If a parish receives more intention requests than the priest can say in a year, then the intentions above and beyond are turned over to the diocese and given to other priests such as retired priests. And, if one truly cannot pay the stipend for the Mass intention, they can still request the Mass and it will be said.

So, I don’t think you have really framed the question correctly. Yes, Mass stipends and offerings for sacraments are perfectly fine. It is not a matter of “right” or “wrong”. They are regulated by Canon Law and the particular law of the diocese in which you live, and there are provisions for those who cannot pay them to still have mass intentions and still receive the sacraments.

Also, please note that the offering for the sacraments and stipend for mass are not the same thing as a facility usage fee which may be required and not optional if you are requesting private use of the facilities, such as for a wedding. A wedding can be conducted during a regularly scheduled mass if one cannot pay to rent the church for a private ceremony.

In our parish, there are two types of collection, Stipend and Payment fees. Stipends are for the priest, all other payments collected are for Priest and the Parish.

[quote="Dhugz, post:3, topic:288780"]
In our parish, there are two types of collection, Stipend and Payment fees. Stipends are for the priest, all other payments collected are for Priest and the Parish.

[/quote]

i have no idea what you refer to. Are you in the US? Is this a collection during Mass? What is it for? I mean certainly there is a weekly collection for the general operating of the parish. That is standard.

[quote="1ke, post:4, topic:288780"]
i have no idea what you refer to. Are you in the US? Is this a collection during Mass? What is it for? I mean certainly there is a weekly collection for the general operating of the parish. That is standard.

[/quote]

I am in the philippines, all of the moneys in the envelope ( as to whether Love offerings and Thanksgiving) offered in the mass are for the priest, and if we say stipend it is for the priest only, for example, in the marriage, the parish collect stipend 1500.00, for decoration 500.00, for sponsors 200.00, for the processing 200.00, its like that, the stipend there is for the Priest. In baptism fees, the priest get some payments as his stipend, in the Funeral blessing payment still considered as stipend for him, Only the Alms boxes and other remaining in the payments collected are for the Parish.

You should contact the diocese and ask what the policies are regarding stipends. In many countries outside US and Canada, the parish does not pay the priest a salary and so the stipend is his income.

We really cannot advise you on this matter beyond the fact that these things are regulated by the law of your diocese and if you have questions you should call them.

[quote="1ke, post:6, topic:288780"]
You should contact the diocese and ask what the policies are regarding stipends. In many countries outside US and Canada, the parish does not pay the priest a salary and so the stipend is his income.

We really cannot advise you on this matter beyond the fact that these things are regulated by the law of your diocese and if you have questions you should call them.

[/quote]

I see, thanks for the enlightenment. I thought that this policies are universally implemented in the Church. My afraid only is the abuse of funds of the parish. Thanks again.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.