It looks like I have another health issue (Asperger's Syndrome)

Please pray for me that I might either be healed or learn to make the most of my atypicality. I’ve been having a lot of issues adjusting to life as a Catholic because of this, mainly dealing with qualms about social norms and emotions. I’m very uncomfortable around the in the more extroverted atmosphere - the music gives me a nutty and since people with my condition tend to be more concrete and logical in their thinking I’m having issues with people telling me I need to “get the faith out of my head and in to my heart.” It just doesn’t work that way for me. And besides, I don’t like their particular flavor of heart. Honestly, people with my condition usually wind up atheists.

Hi-I also had mild autistic traits as a child. I was diagnosed with adhd while on active duty just to learn from the mental health that I have mild aspergers-have trouble with figure of speech and so forth-yet very strong in my faith. Had a few situations that led me to believe in angels-I was 16 went a car hit me, yet it was as if some invisible hands lifted me out of its’ path-setting me on top shaken but unhurt. A bunch of strange coincidences that had it not been for these events, I would have probably had a hard time believing. I know that God is out there looking out for me-I am still uncomfortable in social situations-feeling like I am drowning. Somehow-I can relate with you yet each person-even those with aspergers can and do believe. I agree-many don’t-yet my unique circumstances somehow allowed me to believe, even when I have moments of doubts, I still believe because I can draw upon my unique experiences to help dispel these doubts.

I’ve worked with teenagers “on the spectrum” for many years, and I can honestly state that about half were very OCD and perseverated on their religion (especially the RULES), and the other half were agnostic. Maybe start by living the Greatest Commandment as set forth by Jesus - love the Lord with everything you are and then love thy neighbor as thyself. That takes most of us our whole life to try and come close to! If the music bothers you, try and attend a mass with only organ music - our mass like that is 7:30 AM on Sundays. Good luck!:rolleyes:

Have you been diagnosed by a qualified professional? I say this just because you didn’t mention a diagnosis and said “it looks like.” Self-diagnosis with Asperger’s is pretty common, and not all those self-diagnoses are correct. I’m actually in that boat myself. To me, just going by information on the internet, it sounds like I may well have Asperger’s, but on the other hand I have no training in psychology, and even if I did one should really be diagnosed by another person who can look at your condition objectively.

Then again allegedly the majority of people with Asperger’s are never diagnosed, so many self-diagnosed people may actually be correct, for all I know. I would encourage seeking professional diagnosis and counseling if you have not received it already. Unfortunately I’m not currently in a position to take this advice myself.

Regarding faith life someone has already mentioned respect for the rules. The Catholic Church also places a very high emphasis on reason and a very philosophical theology worked out.

Also remember that faith and love are ultimately things of intellect and cold hard will. Gushy emotions are not required.

Memorare (Prayer to Our Lady)
Remember, O most gracious Virgin Mary, that never was it known that anyone who fled to your protection, implored your help, or sought your intercession, was left unaided.
Inspired by this confidence, I fly unto you, O Virgin of virgins, my Mother. To you do I come, before you I stand, sinful and sorrowful. O Mother of the Word Incarnate, despise not my petitions, but in your mercy, hear and answer me. Amen

I deleted my posts because I only just realized this was in the Prayer Intentions forum. I first copied what I had written so I can send it as a PM instead (maybe in slightly improved form).

Meanwhile I will offer a couple prayers.

Hail Mary…
Our Father…

praying for you

Praying for you from today’s Liturgy of the Hours:

Prayers and Intercessions
Christ is filled with grace and the Holy Spirit. Let us proclaim his greatness and trustfully ask him:
– Lord, give us your Spirit.

Make our day happy, without disturbance, without sin,
so that when we reach evening we can praise you joyfully with pure hearts.

May your radiance shine on us through the day:
guide the work of our hands.

Watch over us: let us do good in peace
and do what is right, with the strength you give us.

Look kindly on all who have asked for our prayers
and fill them with good things, both in body and in soul.

Our Father, who art in heaven,
hallowed be thy name.
Thy kingdom come.
Thy will be done on earth, as it is in heaven.
Give us this day our daily bread,
and forgive us our trespasses,
as we forgive those who trespass against us,
and lead us not into temptation,
but deliver us from evil.

Lord,
be the beginning and end of all that we do and say.
Prompt our actions with your grace,
and complete them with your all-powerful help.
[We make our prayer] through our Lord Jesus Christ, your Son,
who lives and reigns with you in the unity of the Holy Spirit,
God for ever and ever.
Amen.

May the Lord bless us and keep us from all harm; and may he lead us to eternal life.
AMEN

Lord, please grant strength and many graces to Wounded Icon so he can carry his cross courageously, patienlty and lovingly. May he always say Yes! to You and never give up on being faithful. Help him to find a holy priest to be his spiritual director for the spiritual support he needs. Thank you, Lord, for hearing my prayer.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.