It’s Beginning to Look A Lot (less like) Christmas

please read and watch the you tube video... funny.

2secondsfaster.com/2009/12/its-beginning-to-look-a-lot-less-like-christmas/
KOKOMO, Ind. — What do a dinosaur, whale, or fire truck have to do with Christmas? That’s what some Howard County residents are asking after an unusual holiday display was unveiled on the county courthouse lawn.

The lighted displays were donated to the county by an area resident, and are in the shapes of various animals or objects — even the Loch Ness monster.

"It just looks ridiculous," said Marci Davis, who visited the display with her family. "It is such a terrible representation of our city."

"If it’s supposed to be Christmas, I don’t know why there’s a dinosaur," said another woman.

Howard County commissioners Dave Trine and William Thompson helped put up the display and are now fielding complaints from residents.

"If we put the religious or Christmas decorations up, we’d be offending a whole other group of citizens and taxpayers," said Commissioner Tyler Moore.

Commissioners are mindful that religious displays can lead to legal issues.

"I would love to have a manger scene or nativity scene," Trine said. "Our counselor has advised against that."

youtube.com/watch?v=m-wYP1U_dNo&feature=player_embedded

even for the purely secular.... what does a dinosaur or a whale have to do with
winter
solstice
sun
december

much less any of the Holy Days or celebrations this time of year?

That video was absolutely hilarious. Whoever filmed it has quite a sense of humor! I had to call in my sister to watch it as well:D The part with the sea serpent and "are these bells?" was the best!

It's so crazy that we can laugh at it. But it's still wrong... I miss seeing Nativities around! There's a display in the store I work at of a dark wood, very stable-looking well, on top of a huge display. I keep looking over and thinking it's a creche... Mary Jesus and Joseph would fit there perfectly.

I learned something from the video… I had no idea about the fire truck, the lochness monster or a t-rex having anything to do with the birth of Christ.

“If we put the religious or Christmas decorations up, we’d be offending a whole other group of citizens and taxpayers,” said Commissioner Tyler Moore.

Commissioners are mindful that religious displays can lead to legal issues.

Then the solution is, don’t put anything up. “If you try to please everybody, you end up pleasing nobody.”

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.