It seems that Islamic God Allah is a different God than the Catholic God with different rules and a bible

It seems that Islamic God Allah is a different God than with different rules and a different bible than the Catholic God.

Why do some people believe they are the Same God?

The same person can be understood differently by different people. If I see John Doe as a nice guy and my neighbor sees John Doe as a wrathful guy, that doesn’t necessarily mean we are talking about two different John Does. It just means we’re understanding that one John Doe differently and one of us is probably wrong.

From what I understand, it is because of what God is with respect to “things” in general that Christians and Muslims can be said to believe in the same God, i.e. the same being, even though we understand God differently or believe different things about him.

If you read Genesis, it’s easy to see where Islam comes from, and then the answer is clearly what the Catechsim says: same God, faulty understanding.

This also describes some Protestant denominations. I still believe they worship the same God that a Catholic worships.

Because there isn’t a Christian God or an Islamic God, there is just God as Christians understand him and God as Muslims understand him.

I recently read Genesis and both Judaism and Islam originate from descendants of Abraham. Judaism from Isaac , son of Abraham and wife Sara and Islam from Ishmael son of Abraham and his maid (when his wife couldn’t bear children, his wife Sara suggested he try have baby with the maid but then once she conceived Sara became angry and threw maid out of house and then herself became pregnant at like age 80 with Isaac)

It’s that the Mohammedans are wrong about so much about God, having been misled, not that they have a different god.

If you want to say they are different God’s then you need to lay out your criteria for making this determination. And you need to make sure your rules don’t create ridiculous outcomes. For instance if you say it is necessary to believe in the Holy Trinity to worship the same God then you’ve said that Jews don’t worship the same God. That would be a big problem.

I think the motive to say they are different gods is founded upon an understandable desire to show the import distinctions that makes these religions fundamentally different. But I don’t think you need to say they are different God’s to achieve that.

Catholic philosopher Edward Feser wrote an excellent blog post explaining why they are the same God.

The best answer that I can come up with (not being a theologian), is “sort of”.
We both believe that there is only one God.
We share some important religious figures.
We both believe we can be in relationship with our One God.

However, the moslems are not Trinitarian, so the way they understand God is very different from how we do.

The same would be true of Jews which sets up some serious problems.

Yes, the same is true of Judaism. And besides Islam and Judaism, there are nowadays plenty of other monotheistic religions, and none of them are Trinitarian, except most Christians. Yet since Judaism believes in the same God as Christians, then Islam can be also said to believe in the same God, and likewise for example the Samaritan faith, the Baha’i faith, the Azeli faith, Zoroastrianism, the Yazidi faith, the Mandaean faith, the Druze faith, Cao Dai, Tenrikyo, Omoto Kyo, Sekai Kyusei Kyo (the Church of World Messianity), Mahikari, Seicho-no-Ie, Perfect Liberty Kyodan, Sikhism, and other monotheistic religions.
I would have more doubt though if Mormons, in their various denominations, really believe in the same God as Catholics, while they pray to only one God, named God the Father, they also believe in many other Gods, including God the Son, God the Holy Spirit, God the Mother, and many unknown Gods.
Likewise I would have doubt if the Sacred Name religions believe in the same God as Catholics do. They believe in an Almighty Creator, but they never call him God, because they say the word God is of pagan origin, so to call him God would be mixing paganism with the true religion, so they will never do that. The largest, most famous of the Sacred Name religions, is apparently the Assemblies of Yahweh. The Assemblies of Yahweh teaches there are two beings both called Yahweh, the Father, and the Son.

We are all created by the same God, and the same God hears all our prayers despite our differences.

True, but there’s a distinction that OP didn’t make. Islam is not trinitarian. So they fundamentally don’t worship the same God. If they share anything with us it’s that they worship the Father, perhaps.

Consider Christian sects like the Latter Day Saints which the church doesn’t recognize as Christain. Same reason. They don’t have trinitarian baptism. Different God. Different religion.

Judaism is not trinitarian either. So do they also fundamentally not worship the same God? The Old Testament prophets did not teach God is a Trinity either. Did they not worship the same God as you do?

Call me crazy, but Jesus is a pretty important part of the God I worship. So is a pretty significant sense, not really.

What saves historical Judism is that they did worship Jesus, they just didn’t realize it. All of the old testament points to him. What’s a current Jew’s excuse? They don’t worship Jesus. Jesus is God. Maybe that means they don’t worship God?

All roads lead to Rome.

The matter is made crystal clear in Vatican II’s Declaration of the Relations of the Church to Non-Christian Religions, Nostra Aetate, proclaimed by Saint Paul VI on October 28, 1965.

The Church regards with esteem also the Moslems. They adore the one God, living and subsisting in Himself; merciful and all- powerful, the Creator of heaven and earth, who has spoken to men; they take pains to submit wholeheartedly to even His inscrutable decrees, just as Abraham, with whom the faith of Islam takes pleasure in linking itself, submitted to God. Though they do not acknowledge Jesus as God, they revere Him as a prophet. They also honor Mary, His virgin Mother; at times they even call on her with devotion. In addition, they await the day of judgment when God will render their deserts to all those who have been raised up from the dead. Finally, they value the moral life and worship God especially through prayer, almsgiving and fasting.

Since in the course of centuries not a few quarrels and hostilities have arisen between Christians and Moslems, this sacred synod urges all to forget the past and to work sincerely for mutual understanding and to preserve as well as to promote together for the benefit of all mankind social justice and moral welfare, as well as peace and freedom.

http://www.vatican.va/archive/hist_councils/ii_vatican_council/documents/vat-ii_decl_19651028_nostra-aetate_en.html

Well, you are free to believe as you want. But you are calling yourself Catholic. And you disagree with the Catechism of the Catholic Church, see paragraph 841, which teaches that Muslims, ‘together with us, they adore the one, merciful God, mankind’s judge, on the last day.’ This is now the official catechism of the Catholic church. But you are free to say the Catechism is wrong. My father called himself Catholic, and he disagreed with the official beliefs of the Catholic faith on many issues.

That would be applying a changing standard. You are asserting in one case that we worship the same god when we believe that god has certain attritibutes. Then you are saying the Jews (qualified as historical) have an out when their beliefs about God don’t match reality or at least the Christian conception. Them not realizing certain traits is just them not believing in certain traits.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.