Italian horn

My wife and I are both 100% Italian. We are also both Catholic. Growing up, I had a silver necklace with a cornetto (Italian horn), which is the Italian’s good luck charm. Now, I’ve never believed in good luck or superstition at all, I find it silly and offensive to God. However, my wife was sort of superstitious person growing up and I’ve been able to convince her that “knocking on wood” is a sin. I do not believe for her it would be mortal, since I don’t believe she truly believes it actually works, but rather it was just some stupid thing she got accustomed to over the year, and thus reduced her culpability. That said, we both (her more so than I) like our Italian heritage, the food, the family, and so on. We want to carry on traditions that have been part of her family and mine for generations. So as part of that, she wanted for her birthday a cornetto with a silver chain. So I bought one for her. Now I’m starting to think I shouldn’t have done that even if she does not believe in any “superstitious” powers that it has.

Is it okay that she has and wears the cornetto as an Italian symbol and remembrance of her Italian heritage if there is no attachment to the superstition involved?

I think it is fine, as long as it is just a symbol of your Italian heritage and not a superstition. My BIL, born in Italy, always had one. It’s no worse than people wearing shamrocks because they are Irish! :irish3:

I have to agree.

I heard a very holy priest whose forte was spiritual direction, teach that the “Italian horn” is not to be worn. This priest gave retreats to priests, nuns, sisters, and lay people seeking a deeper prayer life. He was a Carmelite.

Why not a crucifix or cross?

I have read through private revelations that this horn is demonic, in that it represents demons and the devil’s horns.

Can you elaborate? WHY shouldn’t it be worn? That would be helpful to know.

Because it is representation of the the Devil’s Horns.

I remember the priest telling us that it is a symbol of the devil. Why should a Catholic wear it?

No, that is not what it historically represented. Google it and see. I am sorry, I don’t know how to provide links.

If it is not worn as a good luck charm or a “talisman” I don’t see the harm.

And I think this is going to be one of those judgment calls for people.

womenofgrace.com/blog/?p=25536

That’s not it at all.

What is it then…:shrug:

This gives a lot of information.

So does this.

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cornicello

The Wikipedia article did not give too much information.

But I am not surprised! Even Satan disguises himself as an angel of light.
2 Corinthians 11:14

If people want to turn something into what it is not, that is their choice.

Do you think that St. Patricks day is truly about getting drunk and wearing green clothes? Is that what it started as? No. And that is not what it is for me.

Is Santa and snowmen what Christmas is about? No, but to some it is. Are we free to choose its true meaning, the birth of Christ? Of course we are, and we do.

So if people want to distort and claim the horn as satanic, they can. But that is not what it was meant to be. If you choose to think that is what it means, that is your right. But lots of Italians do not see it the way you do, so let’s try not insulting their intelligence or their customs, whether you like them or not.

I understand and appreciate what you are saying when you discuss St. Patrick’s day, and Christmas.

I have no intention of insulting the intelligence of Italians; I am of Italian descent on both sides of the family tree.

I do believe the retreat master when he spoke about the Italian horn. His retreats were profound and filled with many healings that were physical, emotional, and spiritual.

Peace!

Dorothy

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.