Italian nun covers 'Like a Virgin'

Sister Cristina Scuccia is back.

The 26-year-old winner of Italy’s version of The Voice, who shocked judges with her rendition of Alicia Keys’ “No One,” has released a music video singing Madonna’s “Like a Virgin” around Venice.

A member of the Usuline community, Sr. Cristina performed in a habit, wearing a crucifix around her neck. Surprised judges asked if she was really a nun, and she said yes.

“I came here because I have a gift and I want to share that gift. I am here to evangelize,” she said.

cruxnow.com/life/2014/10/21/italian-nun-covers-like-a-virgin/

Music Video at link

We have a history of taking the pagan and ungodly and relating it to God. That’s how we originally evangelized the world. I like it.

I like it, too. I like the arrangement and her nod to the original video by Madonna (gondolas in Venice). I’ve long thought those lyrics could convey more than what Madonna made them about.

Actually, it made me sick to my stomach watching it so I stopped watching it.

It kinda ticked me off.

The original song is vile.

Agreed.

Mama mia Suor Cristina! :dts:

The Crooked Lines of God

Nothing to do with God or crooked lines. Nor anything to do with the consecrated life. Here are the lyrics for a little clarity:

Madonna – Like A Virgin Lyrics

I made it through the wilderness
Somehow I made it through
Didn’t know how lost I was
Until I found you

I was beat
Incomplete
I’d been had, I was sad and blue
But you made me feel
Yeah, you made me feel
Shiny and new

Hoo, Like a virgin
Touched for the very first time
Like a virgin
When your heart beats
Next to mine

Gonna give you all my love, boy
My fear is fading fast
Been saving it all for you
'Cause only love can last

You’re so fine
And you’re mine
Make me strong, yeah you make me bold
Oh your love thawed out
Yeah, your love thawed out
What was scared and cold

Like a virgin, hey
Like a virgin
With your heartbeat
Next to mine

Whoa
Whoa, ah
Whoa

You’re so fine
And you’re mine
I’ll be yours
'Till the end of time
'Cause you made me feel
Yeah, you made me feel
I’ve nothing to hide

Like a virgin, hey
Like a virgin
With your heartbeat
Next to mine

Like a virgin, ooh ooh
Like a virgin
Feels so good inside
When you hold me,
And your heart beats,
And you love me

Oh oh, ooh whoa
Oh oh oh whoa
Whoa oh ho, ho

Ooh baby
Yeah
Can’t you hear my heart beat
For the very first time?

Sexualization from a different angle?

The music video is unsettling.

What I meant is that God can and does make crooked lines straight.

Thanks for the lyrics. It seems much toned down seeing it in written form. Perhaps knowing the person who I believe was Madonna highly sexualize it and then to see or hear a religious nun sings it afterwards is what makes my stomach cringe.

It’s a song that has heavy sexual and satanic overtones since it was obviously written and originally performed to mock the Virgin Mary, so I don’t think it’s appropriate for a nun to be performing this. And now it will cause men to think of nuns in a sexual way which is very scandalous.

Another fad like “Dominique.”

Muchado about nothing.

Muchado about nothing.

:thumbsup:

It’s a great act of reparation for the original rendition.
How important “interpretation” is in music and the arts! It can make a huge difference.

Obviously? It wasn’t written by Madonna or for her according to the song writer:

I wasn’t just trying to get that racy word virgin in a lyric. I was saying … that I may not really be a virgin — I’ve been battered romantically and emotionally like many people — but I’m starting a new relationship and it just feels so good, it’s healing all the wounds and making me feel like I’ve never done this before, because it’s so much deeper and more profound than anything I’ve ever felt.[1]

From the other thread:

Who prompted her to sing “Like a Virgin” by Madonna? “I chose it. With no intention to provoke or scandalize. Reading the text, without being influenced by previous interpretations, you discover that it is a song about the power of love to renew people. To rescue them from their past. And this is the way that I wanted to interpret it. For this reason we have transformed this song from the pop-dance piece which it was, into a romantic ballad, a bit like the ones by Amos Lee. Something more similar to a lay prayer, than to a pop piece”.

The song has nothing to do with the Blessed Mother.

Amen!

Sheesh, you guys ever read Song of Songs? If that can be in the Bible I don’t see why this song can’t be re-interpreted.

When I saw her first appear walking down that lane dressed in habit and veil, I thought it was a satire. But no. Very strange and unimpressive bar the gawking value. She would do much better to cover the hymns I think.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.