Italian priest accused of organising orgies in rectory and pimping out 15 women

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Catholic Father Andrea Contin, a parish priest in the northern city of Padua in Veneto, is under police investigation on suspicion of living off immoral earnings and psychological violence.

belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/world-news/italian-priest-accused-of-organising-orgies-in-rectory-and-pimping-out-15-women-35338413.html

Not much surprises me anymore.

If you look at some of the other articles this newspaper has published about the Catholic Church they paint the Church as being ridden with crime and corruption.

I wonder about the newspaper’s credibility.

Blessings,

Mike

You could say that about many newspapers, I just did a google search and it has made a number of papers around the world,but still could be untrue…

It’s not the only source publishing the story.

I think we should point out that accused doesn’t necessarily mean he actually did it

It seems to be okay.
It’s been around since 1870, and as per wiki:

*The Belfast Telegraph was named as Best UK Regional Newspaper of the Year 2012 by the Society of Editors Regional Press Awards.
At the Coca-Cola CIPR Awards, the Belfast Telegraph scooped the following awards: Newspaper of the Year, Website of the Year, Supplement of the Year for its Titanic Tales series, Business Journalist of the Year Claire McNeilly, Production Journalist of the year for Heather Byrne, **Features Journalist of the Year *for Jane Hardy and Lifetime Achievement Award for former Editor Roy Lilley.

What’s “psychological violence”?

If he did all this, it’s baffling how he got away with it for so long.

not too baffling when you consider the priest sex abuse scandal and how long they got away with it.

On a more serious note, we really need to start praying more for our priests!!!

[/FONT]A Prayer for Priests

Keep them, I pray Thee, dearest Lord, keep them, for they are Thine
Thy priests whose lives burn out before Thy consecrated shrine.

Keep them, for they are in the world, though from the world apart;
when earthly pleasures tempt, allure—shelter them in Thy heart.

Keep them, and comfort them in hours of loneliness and pain,
when all their lives of sacrifice for souls seems but in vain.

Keep them, and O remember, Lord, they have no one but Thee,
yet they have only human hearts, with human frailty.

Keep them as spotless as the Host, that daily they caress;
their every thoughts and word and deed, deign, dearest Lord, to bless.

Our Father…
Hail Mary…
Glory Be…

Nine more prayers for priests

Strengthen your prayers by adding them to those of others in this apostolate

I’d imagine it was threats of violence, intimidation, manipulation, coercion, etc.

If he did all this, it’s baffling how he got away with it for so long.

It’s really not too baffling. There can exist a very dangerous clericalism where people become afraid to criticize bad priestly behavior or hold priests to normal standards of behavior. There are various reasons for this ignoring of bad behavior, from believing the Church will be harmed if the info comes out, to other well-intentioned reasons. But in the end, it does far more damage to the Church and the faithful when these things are ignored, swept under the rug, or hidden. This is what happened in the sex abuse cases.

Priests are men who are faced with the same, or greater temptations than all other men. There’s no justification for allowing them to have unlimited authority with no safeguards or oversight, even for the good and holy priests. It creates temptation for even the most holy of men.

O Christ, we ask you now to place shepherds over us who will feed us on your name and example. Protect us from hirelings who flee at the approach of the wolf and leave us to be devoured and scattered. Protect us from strangers who come only to steal and kill; not one of them enters through the gate; they do not know the sheep by name and have no concern for them. Gather together the scattered, bring back to the sheepfold those who have wandered so that there may be one flock and one shepherd in your kingdom on earth as in your kingdom in heaven, for ever and ever. Amen. Maronite prayer for vocations, priests and monastics.

:crossrc:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.