Italian scientist reproduces Shroud of Turin

If this has already been posted somewhere else I apologize.

ROME (Reuters) – An Italian scientist says he has reproduced the Shroud of Turin, a feat that he says proves definitively that the linen some Christians revere as Jesus Christ’s burial cloth is a medieval fake.

more at news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20091005/sc_nm/us_italy_shroud

The Catholic Church does not claim the Shroud is authentic nor that it is a matter of faith, but says it should be a powerful reminder of Christ’s passion.

Garlaschelli received funding for his work by an Italian association of atheists and agnostics but said it had no effect on his results.

Why would they fund that?

They wanted to the shroud to be proven a fake.

This, of course, doesn’t prove the shroud is a fake, but it does make it seem more likely to be a hoax. It was easier to believe in this as a miracle when we could not see how man could have created it.

The Truth will come out.

Patience… even with an atheist.

so what

he is not the first and won’t be the last to demonstrate ways an image could have been produced using technology available in the middle ages, but nowhere does it state he tested the image and found evidence that his proposed method was used.

big deal, he is selling a book

“could have happened this way” does not equal “it is proven beyond shadow of a doubt that it did happen this way”

my personal opinion is and always has been that this image is of early medieval origin and like any other man-made religious image of the Lord that inspires pious reflection on His Life and Mission, it can be a valuable aid for the spirituality of the individual Christian. My opinion, like that of the claimant, is not fact and he has no more proof than I do for my opinion.

i looked at the photos. the “reproduction” looks nothing like the shroud. the reproduction looks like an obvious painting, the shoud looks like a person’s actual face

I am always skeptical when someone claims “…using materials and techniques that were available in the middle ages.”

Technically speaking, everything around us was around during the middle ages.
As for techniques, there really is no way of knowing this. They can know the recorded techniques available at the time, but that doesn’t cover it all.

My conclusion, there are a bunch of unfounded claims being made in this article, there is no credibility to it.

The source of the funding says it all…:rolleyes:

Here are photos: dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-1218457/Shroud-Turin-replica-proves-medieval-techniques-make-relic-say-scientists.html

God created diamonds. Man can reproduce diamonds. I guess that makes all diamonds fake. :shrug:

Not only can man reproduce them, but he can do it using materials and techniques that have been available for thousands of years…:whistle:

“We have shown that is possible to reproduce something which has the same characteristics as the Shroud,” Luigi Garlaschelli, who is due to illustrate the results at a conference on the para-normal this weekend in northern Italy, said on Monday.

Why not have it pier reviewed?

Why not present it at a scientific conference instead of a conference on the para-normal?

Something doesn’t smell right. Maybe he found something, maybe he didn’t but the process here isn’t very scientific.

These atheists/agnostics really wasted their money. What did they accomplish? Maybe they proved the shroud is a fake…still doesn’t prove that JESUS was a fake. So what did they prove? Don’t they have anything more important to spend their money on? Like maybe…feeding the poor, helping the homeless, maybe cleaning up the environment?

I will be anxiously awaitng his reproduction of the Ressurection…

Actually, they have not even proven the shroud a fake.

All they have proven is that there is a method available to reproduce to a reasonable degree the results seen on the shroud.

I wasn’t saying that they did…just maybe they “hypothetically” proved it a fake…I don’t believe that they did, myself.

Maybe it’s just me, but they don’t really look all that alike. The reproduction looks very much like a painting, whereas the original shroud looks like a photograph.

As to whether the shroud is real, who knows. It’s a matter of Faith. This reproduction frankly does not prove or disprove anything. But hey, if Atheists want to waste their money on nonsense like this, let them. It will not change anyone’s mind about God or Jesus.

"Experts question scientist’s claim of reproducing Shroud of Turin

Colorado Springs, Colo., Oct 6, 2009 / 09:27 pm (CNA).- An Italian scientist is claiming to have re-created the burial cloth believed to have covered the crucified body of Jesus, called the Shroud of Turin. However, CNA spoke with experts who maintain that there are still several major differences between the new shroud and the ancient one."…

Entire article here: catholicnewsagency.com/new.php?n=17323

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.